Ana Carolina P Vicente
Affiliation: Rio de Janeiro
- Outbreaks of cholera-like diarrhoea caused by enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli in the Brazilian Amazon RainforestAna C P Vicente
Department of Genetics, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Avenida Brasil 4365, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 21045 900, Brazil
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 99:669-74. 2005..This is the first report of ETEC, molecularly characterized as the aetiological agent of severe diarrhoea in children and adults in the Brazilian Amazon Rainforest...
- Genome sequence of the human pathogen Vibrio cholerae AmazoniaCristiane C Thompson
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics of Microrganims, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Bacteriol 193:5877-8. 2011..The genomic analysis revealed that it contains Vibrio pathogenicity island 2 and a set of genes related to pathogenesis and fitness, such as the type VI secretion system, present in choleragenic V. cholerae strains...
- Identification of vibrio cholerae and vibrio mimicus by multilocus sequence analysis (MLSA)Cristiane C Thompson
Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 58:617-21. 2008..V. cholerae and V. mimicus isolates can be readily identified through the open database resource 'The Taxonomy of Vibrios' (http://www.taxvibrio.lncc.br/)...
- Vibrio cholerae O1 lineages driving cholera outbreaks during seventh cholera pandemic in GhanaCristiane C Thompson
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics of Microrganisms, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Oswaldo Cruz Fundation, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Infect Genet Evol 11:1951-6. 2011..This study showed that distinct V. cholerae O1 were the determinants of cholera outbreaks in Ghana. Thus, in endemic regions, such as Africa, cholera can be caused by various V. cholerae O1 genotypes...
- HTLV-1a tax gene and long terminal repeat sequences from Argentinean strains reveal disagreement with tax restriction fragment length polymorphism subtypingAlena M Iniguez
Departamento de Genetica, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 23:1127-30. 2007..These results indicate that the tax gene RFLP assay which has been proposed and used by some authors to screen HTLV-1a subgroups, is not a suitable tool to perform molecular epidemiological characterization of HTLV-1a populations...
- Cholera outbreaks in Nigeria are associated with multidrug resistant atypical El Tor and non-O1/non-O139 Vibrio choleraeMichel A Marin
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics of Microorganisms, Oswaldo Cruz Institute IOC, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 7:e2049. 2013..Variants of Vibrio cholerae O1 El Tor biotype have emerged but very little is known about strains causing cholera outbreaks in West Africa, which is crucial for the implementation of interventions to control epidemic cholera...
- Genomic taxonomy of VibriosCristiane C Thompson
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics of Microrganims, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
BMC Evol Biol 9:258. 2009..Our aim is to analyse the usefulness of these tools for species identification in vibrios...
- Genetic markers on the HTLV-1 p12I protein sequences from Brazilian HAM/TSP patients and asymptomatic HTLV-1 carrier isolatesAlena M Iniguez
Departamento de Genetica, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, 21045 900, Brazil
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 21:580-2. 2005..Nonetheless, some genetic markers were recognized in association with isolates from HTLV-1a subgroup B and Brazilian HTLV-1aA strains...
- Genetic characterization of human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 1 in Mozambique: transcontinental lineages drive the HTLV-1 endemicAna Carolina P Vicente
Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1038. 2011..Recently, the epidemiology of this virus was addressed in blood donors from Maputo, showing rates from 0.9 to 1.2%. However, the origin and impact of HTLV endemic in this population is unknown...
- Towards a genome based taxonomy of MycoplasmasCristiane C Thompson
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics of Microorganisms, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Infect Genet Evol 11:1798-804. 2011..In our hands, a Mycoplasma species is defined as a group of strains that share ≥ 97% DNA identity in MLSA, ≥ 93.9% AAI and ≤ 8 in Karlin genomic signature. This new definition may be useful to advance the taxonomy of Mycoplasmas...
- Phylogenetic analysis of vibrios and related species by means of atpA gene sequencesCristiane C Thompson
Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 57:2480-4. 2007..The intraspecies variation in the atpA gene sequence was about 99% sequence similarity. The results showed clearly that atpA gene sequences are a suitable alternative for the identification and phylogenetic study of vibrios...
- Vibrio2009: the third international conference on the biology of VibriosFabiano L Thompson
Department of Genetics, Institute of Biology, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, UFRJ, Brazil
Mol Microbiol 77:1065-71. 2010....
- Coexistence of epidemic colistin-only-sensitive clones of Pseudomonas aeruginosa, including the blaSPM clone, spread in hospitals in a Brazilian Amazon CityRosângela Cipriano
Department of Genetics, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Microb Drug Resist 13:142-6. 2007..Here we detected, for the first time, the coexistence of COS P.aeruginosa genotypes disseminated in several hospitals during long periods, attacking patients under various clinical conditions...
- PorA variable antigenic regions VR1, VR2, and VR3 of Neisseria meningitidis serogroups B and C isolated in Brazil from 1999 to 2004Ivano de Filippis
National Institute for Quality Control of Health, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Avenida Brasil 4365, Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro 21045 900, Brazil
Infect Immun 75:3683-5. 2007..The presence of VR3 epitope variant 35 or 36 on the surfaces of 87% of the strains analyzed suggests that these antigens should be considered for inclusion in new formulations of vaccines against serogroup B meningococci in Brazil...
- Bacterial community diversity in the Brazilian Atlantic forest soilsThiago Bruce
Department of Genetics, Institute of Biology, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro UFRJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Microb Ecol 60:840-9. 2010..This is the first survey on the Atlantic Forest soils using a combination of cultivation and culture-independent approaches. We conclude that the Brazilian Atlantic Forest soil represents a vast source of novel bacteria...
- Close phylogenetic relationship between Angolan and Romanian HIV-1 subtype F1 isolatesMonick L Guimaraes
Laboratorio de AIDS and Imunologia Molecular, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Retrovirology 6:39. 2009..Here, we investigated the phylogenetic relationships of the HIV-1 subtype F1 circulating in Angola with subtype F1 strains sampled worldwide and reconstructed the evolutionary history of this subtype in Central Africa...
- HTLV-II infection associated with a chronic neurodegenerative disease: clinical and molecular analysisEdimilson A Silva
HEMORIO, Instituto Estadual de Hematologia Arthur de Siqueira Cavalcanti, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Med Virol 66:253-7. 2002....