Affiliation: Rio de Janeiro
- Cochliomyia hominivorax myiasis in a colony of stray cats (Felis catus Linnaeus, 1758) in Rio de Janeiro, RJFlavya Mendes-de-Almeida
Departamento de Patologia e Clínica, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Faculdade de Veterinaria, Rua Vital Brazil 64, Niteroi, RJ 24230 340, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 146:376-8. 2007..Most lesions were found on the front part of the body of adult males (80%), suggesting that myiasis occur in consequence of competitive fighting wounds...
- Follow-up of the health conditions of an urban colony of free-roaming cats (Felis catus Linnaeus, 1758) in the city of Rio de Janeiro, BrazilFlavya Mendes-de-Almeida
Fundação RIOZOO, Parque da Quinta da Boa Vista s n, Sao Cristovao, RJ, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 147:9-15. 2007..Therefore, it seems that stabilizing the population by a judicious control program facilitated the distribution of the pathogens throughout the colony, while the general well-being of the cats was not seriously affected...
- Characterization of ectoparasites in an urban cat (Felis catus Linnaeus, 1758) population of Rio de Janeiro, BrazilFlavya Mendes-de-Almeida
Universidade Federal Fluminense, Faculdade de Veterinaria, Rua Vital Brazil Filho 64, Niteroi, RJ, Brazil
Parasitol Res 108:1431-5. 2011..Ectoparasites are not only nuisances to both cats and owners, but they are also significant carriers of disease. Therefore, the implementation of rigorous, safe preventive measures is of great importance...
- Reduction of feral cat (Felis catus Linnaeus 1758) colony size following hysterectomy of adult female catsFlavya Mendes-de-Almeida
Faculdade de Veterinaria, Universidade Federal Fluminense, Rua Vital Brazil Filho 64, Niteroi, RJ, Brazil
J Feline Med Surg 13:436-40. 2011....
- Sanitary conditions of a colony of urban feral cats (Felis catus Linnaeus, 1758) in a zoological garden of Rio de Janeiro, BrazilFlavya Mendes-de-Almeida
Fundação RIOZOO, Sao Cristovao, RJ, 20940 040, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 46:269-74. 2004..There was no correlation between hemoparasites and FIV infections. The estimated total cat population (mark-recapture method) was 59; 68% female and 32% male, suggesting that a neutering program is in fact needed...
- Prevalence of Bartonella species DNA and antibodies in cats (Felis catus) submitted to a spay/neuter program in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilAna Crissiuma
Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niteroi, RJ, Brazil
J Feline Med Surg 13:149-51. 2011..In four of the 20 flea-infested cats, Bartonella species DNA was detected in the fleas obtained from those cats, but only one of these four cats had Bartonella species DNA in its blood...
- Effects of doxycycline on the endosymbiont Wolbachia in Dirofilaria immitis (Leidy, 1856)--naturally infected dogsMaria Ines Doria Rossi
Fundação Oswaldo Cruz Av Brasil, 4365, CEP 21040 360, Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 174:119-23. 2010..immitis transmission may be impaired by the reduction on the number of microfilariae and on the endosymbiotic bacteria in the larvae turning them incapable of completing development once they infected a new host...