Carlos A Mandarim-de-Lacerda
Affiliation: Rio de Janeiro
- Barbosa da Silva S, Souza Mello V, Magliano D, Marinho T, Aguila M, Mandarim de Lacerda C. Singular effects of PPAR agonists on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease of diet-induced obese mice. Life Sci. 2015;127:73-81 pubmed publisher..The results reinforce the central role of PPARalpha, as well as its contrary relationship to PPARgamma in the regulation of metabolic homeostasis and lipolytic pathways in the liver. ..
- Schultz A, Barbosa da Silva S, Aguila M, Mandarim de Lacerda C. Differences and similarities in hepatic lipogenesis, gluconeogenesis and oxidative imbalance in mice fed diets rich in fructose or sucrose. Food Funct. 2015;6:1684-91 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, current findings demonstrate comparable adverse effects on carbohydrate metabolism, inflammatory profile, antioxidant imbalance and NAFLD in the mice of the C57BL/6 strain fed a diet rich in sucrose or rich in fructose. ..
- Maia Ceciliano T, Barreto Vianna A, Barbosa da Silva S, Aguila M, Faria T, Mandarim de Lacerda C. Maternal vitamin D-restricted diet has consequences in the formation of pancreatic islet/insulin-signaling in the adult offspring of mice. Endocrine. 2016;54:60-69 pubmed..The decrease of PDX-1 is probably significant to the changes in the beta-cell mass and insulin secretion in adulthood. ..
- Motta V, Aguila M, Mandarim de Lacerda C. High-intensity interval training (swimming) significantly improves the adverse metabolism and comorbidities in diet-induced obese mice. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2016;56:655-63 pubmed..In skeletal muscle, HIIT improves PPAR-alpha and glucose transporter-4 and reduces PPAR-gamma levels. HIIT leads to attenuate the adverse effects caused by a chronic ingestion of a high-fat diet. ..
- Bargut T, Aguila M, Mandarim de Lacerda C. Brown adipose tissue: Updates in cellular and molecular biology. Tissue Cell. 2016;48:452-60 pubmed publisher..This bound leads to the initialization of the many pathways that may activate thermogenesis in acute and/or chronic ways. In summary, this mini-review aims to demonstrate the latest advances in the knowledge of BAT. ..
- Martins F, Bargut T, Aguila M, Mandarim de Lacerda C. Thermogenesis, fatty acid synthesis with oxidation, and inflammation in the brown adipose tissue of ob/ob (-/-) mice. Ann Anat. 2017;210:44-51 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that the lack of substrate for thermogenesis and the local inflammation negatively regulated thermogenic signaling in the ob/ob mice. ..
- Motta V, Bargut T, Aguila M, Mandarim de Lacerda C. Treating fructose-induced metabolic changes in mice with high-intensity interval training: insights in the liver, white adipose tissue, and skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2017;123:699-709 pubmed publisher..Because HIIT may block these adverse effects in all of these three tissues, it might be suggested that it functions as a coadjutant treatment in combatting the alterations caused by high-fructose intake. ..
- Ornellas F, Bringhenti I, Mattos B, Mandarim de Lacerda C, Aguila M. Father's obesity programs the adipose tissue in the offspring via the local renin-angiotensin system and MAPKs pathways, especially in adult male mice. Eur J Nutr. 2018;57:1901-1912 pubmed publisher..The activation of local RAS and ERK1/2, a concomitant PPAR diminishing, and impairment in phosphorylation of AKT and IRS-1 could explain at least in part the findings regardless of the increase in body mass in the offspring. ..
- Martins F, Aguila M, Mandarim de Lacerda C. Impaired steroidogenesis in the testis of leptin-deficient mice (ob/ob -/-). Acta Histochem. 2017;119:508-515 pubmed publisher..The study provides new evidence and contributes to the understanding of how the lack of leptin and obesity might negatively modulate the testicular function leading to infertility. ..
- Ornellas F, Carapeto P, Mandarim de Lacerda C, Aguila M. Obese fathers lead to an altered metabolism and obesity in their children in adulthood: review of experimental and human studies. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2017;93:551-559 pubmed publisher..Paternal obesity can induce programmed phenotypes in offspring through epigenetics. Therefore, it can be considered a public health problem, affecting the children's future life. ..
- Bargut T, Santos L, Machado D, Aguila M, Mandarim de Lacerda C. Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) vs. Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA): Effects in epididymal white adipose tissue of mice fed a high-fructose diet. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2017;123:14-24 pubmed publisher..Therefore, when considering fructose-induced adverse effects in WAT, the most prominent actions were observed with DHA. ..
- Borges C, Penna de Carvalho A, Medeiros Junior J, Aguila M, Mandarim de Lacerda C. Ovariectomy modify local renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system gene expressions in the heart of ApoE (-/-) mice. Life Sci. 2017;191:1-8 pubmed publisher..The evaluation of the local Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone system (RAAS) gene expressions in the heart of ovariectomized (OVX) apolipoprotein E deficient mice (ApoE)...