Margaret H Magdesian
Affiliation: Rio de Janeiro
- A conserved domain of the gp85/trans-sialidase family activates host cell extracellular signal-regulated kinase and facilitates Trypanosoma cruzi infectionMargaret H Magdesian
Instituto de Bioquimica Medica, Av Brigadeiro Trompowsky s n, bloco H sala 19, CCS, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21944 590, Brazil
Exp Cell Res 313:210-8. 2007..cruzi. Taken together our results indicate that the conserved FLY domain is an important tool that trypomastigotes have evolved to specific exploit the host cell machinery and guarantee a successful infection...
- Secreted human amyloid precursor protein binds semaphorin 3a and prevents semaphorin-induced growth cone collapseMargaret H Magdesian
Institute of Medical Biochemistry, Program in Biochemistry and Cellular Biophysics, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS ONE 6:e22857. 2011..These two peptides are comprised within a domain previously shown to be involved in binding of Sema3A to its cellular receptor, suggesting a competitive mechanism by which sAPPα modulates the biological action of semaphorins...
- Amyloid-beta binds to the extracellular cysteine-rich domain of Frizzled and inhibits Wnt/beta-catenin signalingMargaret H Magdesian
Instituto de Bioquimica Medica, Programa de Bioquimica e Biofisica Celular, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
J Biol Chem 283:9359-68. 2008..Furthermore, they suggest that blocking the interaction of Abeta with Fz might lead to novel therapeutic approaches to prevent neuronal dysfunction in Alzheimer disease...
- Human apolipoprotein A-I binds amyloid-beta and prevents Abeta-induced neurotoxicityAndrea C Paula-Lima
Programa de Bioquimica e Biofisica Celular, Instituto de Bioquimica Medica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21941 590, Brazil
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:1361-70. 2009..These results suggest that human apoA-I modulates Abeta aggregation and Abeta-induced neuronal damage and that the Abeta-binding domain in apoA-I may constitute a novel framework for the design of inhibitors of Abeta toxicity...
- Peptide blockers of the inhibition of neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors by amyloid betaMargaret H Magdesian
Instituto de Bioquimica Medica, Programa de Bioquimica e Biofisica Celular, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, 21944 590 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Biol Chem 280:31085-90. 2005..Furthermore, the results suggest that the IQ peptide may be a lead for the development of novel drugs to block the inhibition of nAChRs in AD...
- In vitro selection of RNA aptamers that bind to cell adhesion receptors of Trypanosoma cruzi and inhibit cell invasionHenning Ulrich
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Quimica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Caixa Postal 26077, Sao Paulo 05513 970, Brazil
J Biol Chem 277:20756-62. 2002..RNA pools following seven and eight selection rounds as well as individual aptamers sharing consensus motifs were active in inhibiting invasion of LLC-MK(2) monkey kidney cells by T. cruzi in vitro...