Genomes and Genes
A T Wyse
Affiliation: Porto Alegre
- Longoni A, Kolling J, Siebert C, dos Santos J, da Silva J, Pettenuzzo L, et al. 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 prevents deleterious effects of homocysteine on mitochondrial function and redox status in heart slices. Nutr Res. 2017;38:52-63 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that calcitriol may be a preventive/therapeutic strategy for complications caused by Hcy. ..
- Dos Santos T, Kolling J, Siebert C, Biasibetti H, Bertó C, Grun L, et al. Effects of previous physical exercise to chronic stress on long-term aversive memory and oxidative stress in amygdala and hippocampus of rats. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2017;56:58-67 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that physical exercise during the developmental period may protect against aversive memory impairment and brain oxidative damage caused by chronic stress exposure later in life. ..
- Rodrigues A, Biasibetti H, Zanotto B, Sanches E, Schmitz F, Nunes V, et al. D-Galactose Causes Motor Coordination Impairment, and Histological and Biochemical Changes in the Cerebellum of Rats. Mol Neurobiol. 2017;54:4127-4137 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that galactose induces histological and biochemical changes in cerebellum, which can be associated with motor coordination impairment. ..
- Pierozan P, Biasibetti H, Schmitz F, Ávila H, Fernandes C, Pessoa Pureur R, et al. Neurotoxicity of Methylmercury in Isolated Astrocytes and Neurons: the Cytoskeleton as a Main Target. Mol Neurobiol. 2017;54:5752-5767 pubmed publisher..Otherwise, redox imbalance and glutamate-independent mechanisms disrupted the cytoskeleton and induced necrosis in MeHg-exposed astrocyte. ..
- Schweinberger B, Rodrigues A, Turcatel E, Pierozan P, Pettenuzzo L, Grings M, et al. Maternal Hypermethioninemia Affects Neurons Number, Neurotrophins Levels, Energy Metabolism, and Na+,K+-ATPase Expression/Content in Brain of Rat Offspring. Mol Neurobiol. 2018;55:980-988 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that maternal hypermethioninemia may be a predisposing factor for damage to the brain during the intrauterine life. ..
- Siebert C, Pierozan P, Kolling J, Dos Santos T, Sebotaio M, Marques E, et al. Vitamin D3 Reverses the Hippocampal Cytoskeleton Imbalance But Not Memory Deficits Caused by Ovariectomy in Adult Wistar Rats. Neuromolecular Med. 2017;19:345-356 pubmed publisher..Vitamin D reversed the effects caused by OVX on cytoskeleton in hippocampus, but it was not able to reverse the effects on memory. ..
- Vuaden F, Savio L, Rico E, Mussulini B, Rosemberg D, de Oliveira D, et al. Methionine Exposure Alters Glutamate Uptake and Adenine Nucleotide Hydrolysis in the Zebrafish Brain. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:200-209 pubmed publisher..This phenomenon might explain, at least in part, the increased susceptibility of hypermethioninemic patients to neurological symptoms. ..
- de S Moreira D, Figueiró P, Siebert C, Prezzi C, Rohden F, Guma F, et al. Chronic Mild Hyperhomocysteinemia Alters Inflammatory and Oxidative/Nitrative Status and Causes Protein/DNA Damage, as well as Ultrastructural Changes in Cerebral Cortex: Is Acetylsalicylic Acid Neuroprotective?. Neurotox Res. 2018;33:580-592 pubmed publisher
- Schweinberger B, Rodrigues A, Dos Santos T, Rohden F, Barbosa S, da Luz Soster P, et al. Methionine Administration in Pregnant Rats Causes Memory Deficit in the Offspring and Alters Ultrastructure in Brain Tissue. Neurotox Res. 2018;33:239-246 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the cell morphological changes caused by maternal hypermethioninemia may be, at least partially, associated to the memory deficit of rat offspring. ..
- Rodrigues A, Biasibetti H, Zanotto B, Sanches E, Pierozan P, Schmitz F, et al. Intracerebroventricular D-galactose administration impairs memory and alters activity and expression of acetylcholinesterase in the rat. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2016;50:1-6 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that these changes in AChE may, at least in part, to lead to memory impairment caused by galactose. Taken together, our results can help understand the etiopathology of classical galactosemia. ..
- Schweinberger B, Wyse A. Mechanistic basis of hypermethioninemia. Amino Acids. 2016;48:2479-2489 pubmed..Besides, reactive oxygen species may mediate other alterations induced by methionine, such as the reduction in brain Na+,K+-ATPase activity, and liver inflammation. ..
- Kolling J, Longoni A, Siebert C, Dos Santos T, Marques E, Carletti J, et al. Severe Hyperhomocysteinemia Decreases Creatine Kinase Activity and Causes Memory Impairment: Neuroprotective Role of Creatine. Neurotox Res. 2017;32:585-593 pubmed publisher..This finding may be associated, at least in part, with memory improvement, suggesting that creatine might represent an effective adjuvant to protect against the effects of high homocysteine plasma levels. ..
- Wyse A, Bavaresco C, Hagen M, Delwing D, Wannmacher C, Severo Dutra Filho C, et al. In vitro stimulation of oxidative stress in cerebral cortex of rats by the guanidino compounds accumulating in hyperargininemia. Brain Res. 2001;923:50-7 pubmed..The results suggest that oxidative stress caused by guanidino compounds may be involved in the brain dysfunction amongst other potential pathophysiological mechanisms observed in hyperargininemia...
- Wyse A, Stefanello F, Chiarani F, Delwing D, Wannmacher C, Wajner M. Arginine administration decreases cerebral cortex acetylcholinesterase and serum butyrylcholinesterase probably by oxidative stress induction. Neurochem Res. 2004;29:385-9 pubmed