- [Willingness and alternatives to drunk driving among young people from São Paulo city, Brazil]Ilana Pinsky
UNIAD, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 26:234-41. 2004..In face of the importance of drinking and driving as a national health problem, the objective of the present study was to analyze the behavior willingness among youngsters about to receive their driver's licenses...
- Depressive symptoms and alcohol correlates among Brazilians aged 14 years and older: a cross-sectional studyCassiano L S Coelho
Department of Psychiatry, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo UNIFESP, R, Felício Antônio Siqueira, 2068, Higienopolis, CEP 15085 420, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil
Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 9:29. 2014..This study aims to study these associations in an upper middle-income country, Brazil, and search for related socio-demographic correlations in men and women...
- How smokers may react to cigarette taxes and price increases in Brazil: data from a national surveyAnalice Gigliotti
National Institute for Alcohol and Drug Policies INPAD, Department of Psychiatry, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
BMC Public Health 14:327. 2014..However, tax and pricing policies have been developed slowly and only very recently were stronger measures implemented. This study investigated the expected responses of smokers to hypothetical price increases in Brazil...
- Substance abuse prevention infrastructure: a survey-based study of the organizational structure and function of the D.A.R.E. programJeffrey C Merrill
Division of Addiction Psychiatry, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 671 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ, USA
Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 1:25. 2006..A.R.E. coordinators (including two major cities), focus groups with local D.A.R.E. officers and mentors, and interviews with national D.A.R.E. office staff...
- Patterns of alcohol use among Brazilian adolescentsIlana Pinsky
Department of Psychiatry, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 32:242-9. 2010..To describe patterns of alcohol consumption by adolescents in Brazil...
- [Alcohol advertising and alcohol consumption among youngsters: review of the international literature]Ilana Pinsky
Departamento de Psiquiatria, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 30:362-74. 2008..Problems related to alcohol consumption are frequent, especially among the youth population. We analyzed advertisement as one of several modifiable factors with impact over alcohol consumption...
- Higher prevalence of major depressive symptoms in Brazilians aged 14 and olderCassiano L S Coelho
Department of Psychiatry, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo UNIFESP, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 35:142-9. 2013..The aim of the present study was to estimate the prevalence of depressive symptoms in the Brazilian population and establish their sociodemographic correlates...
- Association between alcohol advertising and beer drinking among adolescentsRoberta Faria
Departamento de Psiquiatria e Psicologia Médica, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 45:441-7. 2011..To analyze the association between alcohol advertising and beer drinking among adolescents...
- Use of licit and illicit substances among adolescents in Brazil--a national surveyClarice S Madruga
National Institute of Policies on Alcohol and Drugs, Departamento de Psiquiatria, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Addict Behav 37:1171-5. 2012..We also estimate how socio demographic characteristics, household environment and mental health are associated with substance misuse...
- [Prevalence of drinking and driving in a city of Southeastern Brazil]SÃ©rgio Duailibi
Unidade de Pesquisa em Ã¡lcool e outras Drogas, Departamento de Psiquiatria, Universidade Federal de SÃ£o Paulo, SÃ£o Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 41:1058-61. 2007..These findings were six times higher than those found in similar surveys carried out in other countries, indicating the relevance of this problem. Specific public policies to fight the problem and more national studies are needed...
- Alcohol use patterns among Brazilian adultsRonaldo Laranjeira
Department of Psychiatry, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 32:231-41. 2010..To describe patterns of alcohol consumption in the adult Brazilian population...
- Differences in drinking patterns between men and women in BrazilCynthia C Wolle
Department of Psychiatry, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 33:367-73. 2011..To examine sex differences in alcohol consumption according to age groups, and to assess gender and age effects on several aspects of alcohol consumption patterns...
- The effect of restricting opening hours on alcohol-related violenceSergio Duailibi
Unidade de Pesquisa em Alcool e outras Drogas UNIAD, Departamento de Psiquiatria, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Public Health 97:2276-80. 2007..The policy to restrict alcohol sales was introduced in July 2002 and prohibited on-premises alcohol sales after 11 pm...
- [Prevalence of physical abuse in childhood and exposure to parental violence in a Brazilian sample]Daniela Viganó Zanoti-Jeronymo
Universidade Estadual do Centro Oeste, Rua Vicente Machado 1530, Guarapuava, SP, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 25:2467-79. 2009..The findings may help implement intervention strategies to call the attention of health professionals to the high prevalence of this type of violence...
- Sociodemographic characteristics associated with binge drinking among BraziliansDaniel Sócrates Castroand
Alcohol and Drugs Research Unit Unidade de Pesquisa em Álcool e Outras Drogas UNIAD, Department of Psychiatry, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Drug Alcohol Depend 126:272-6. 2012..Binge drinking (BD) is a harmful pattern of alcohol use. This study describes this pattern of drinking and the sociodemographic variables associated with it in a representative sample of Brazilians...
- ADHD in a representative sample of the Brazilian population: estimated prevalence and comparative adequacy of criteria between adolescents and adults according to the item response theoryGuilherme Polanczyk
Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 19:177-84. 2010..Accordingly, there are limited data on the proportion of adults affected by the disorder, specially in developing countries...
- Gambling in Brazil: lifetime prevalences and socio-demographic correlatesHermano Tavares
Gambling Outpatient Unit, Institute and Department of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Psychiatry Res 180:35-41. 2010..Individuals who are young, male, unemployed or not currently pursuing further education may be at special risk for severe pathological gambling...
- Prevalence of cannabis use in Brazil: data from the I Brazilian National Alcohol Survey (BNAS)Flavia S Jungerman
Department of Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine University of São Paulo, Brazil
Addict Behav 35:190-3. 2010..To estimate the prevalence of cannabis use in the last 12 months in the Brazilian population and to examine its association with individual and geographic characteristics...
- Highly reported prevalence of drinking and driving in Brazil: data from the first representative household studyFlavio Pechansky
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 31:125-30. 2009..Brazil lacks information about driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) originated from representative samples obtained from the general population...
- [Screening and brief intervention for alcoholic patients treated at emergency rooms: prospects and challenges]Maria Luiza Segatto
Programa de Atenção à Pessoa com Dependência Química, Universidade Federal de Uberlandia, Uberlandia, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 23:1753-62. 2007..Meanwhile, it emphasizes the relevancy of brief emergency intervention, which is both feasible and efficient, and the need for research to define the relevant adjustments by professionals and the health care system...
- [Brazilian teenagers and beer advertising: relationship between exposure, positive response, and alcohol consumption]Alan Vendrame
Departamento de Psiquiatria, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 25:359-65. 2009..The study found a positive relationship between enjoying beer advertising and exposure to beer ads, as well as between alcohol consumption and positive responses to alcohol commercials...
- The distribution of alcohol consumption and the prevention paradox in BrazilRaul Caetano
University of Texas School of Public Health, Dallas Regional Campus, Dallas, TX, USA
Addiction 107:60-8. 2012..To examine the proportion of self-reported alcohol consumed by different gender and age groups in Brazil over the past year, and to examine whether the 'prevention paradox' applies to Brazilian data on alcohol-related problems...
- [Inefficacy of self-regulation of alcohol advertisements: a systematic review of the literature]Alan Vendrame
Departamento de Psiquiatria, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Brasil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 33:196-202. 2011..g. controlled by the advertising community itself). We examined in this review all articles on the subject of industry self-regulation of alcohol advertising published in the international literature...
- Assessment of self-regulatory code violations in Brazilian television beer advertisementsAlan Vendrame
Department of Psychiatry, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 71:445-51. 2010....
- [Alcohol purchase survey by adolescents in two cities of State of São Paulo, Southeastern Brazil]Marcos Romano
Unidade de Pesquisa em Álcool e Outras Drogas, Departamento de Psiquiatria, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 41:495-501. 2007..Alcohol use is a public health problem. Commercial availability is an important factor that encourages the use of alcohol by young people. The aim of the study was to assess how often young people under 18 could buy alcohol in shops..
- No one can serve two mastersIlana Pinsky
Addiction 103:855. 2008
- Ethics of an unregulated alcohol marketIlana Pinsky
Alcohol and Drugs Unit, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Addiction 102:1038-9; discussion 1039-40. 2007
- Was Goliath blind or ignorant? The struggle between evidence and passion in alcohol public policies in BrazilFlavio Pechansky
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 28:259-60. 2006
- Drugs in the Brazilian print media: an exploratory survey of newspaper and magazine stories in the year 2000Ana Regina Noto
Departamento de Psicobiologia da Universidade Federal de São Paulo UNIFESP, Centro Brasileiro de Informações sobre Drogas CEBRID, Brasil
Subst Use Misuse 41:1263-76. 2006..These findings suggest the need for improved communication between journalists and health professionals...
- [Alcohol and violence: psychiatry and public health]Ronaldo Laranjeira
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 27:176-7. 2005
- Alcohol in Brazil: recent public health aspectsIlana Pinsky
Addiction 99:524. 2004