Marcelo Medeiros Pinheiro
- Low fatness, reduced fat intake and adequate plasmatic concentrations of LDL-cholesterol are associated with high bone mineral density in women: a cross-sectional study with control groupKarin S Sarkis
Nutrition Department, School of Public Health, Sao Paulo University, Av Dr Arnaldo, 715, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil CEP 01246 904
Lipids Health Dis 11:37. 2012..The objectives are to evaluate the prevalence and the main aspects associated with high BMD in healthy women...
- Development and validation of a tool for identifying women with low bone mineral density and low-impact fractures: the São Paulo Osteoporosis Risk Index (SAPORI)M M Pinheiro
Rheumatology Division, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo Escola Paulista de Medicina UNIFESP EPM, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Osteoporos Int 23:1371-9. 2012..This new tool was able to identify women with low bone density (spine and hip) and low-impact fracture, with an area under the receiving operator curve (ROC) of 0.831, 0.724, and 0.689, respectively...
- Bone mineral density and body composition in postmenopausal women with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritisPaulo G Pedreira
Rheumatology Division, Federal University of Sao Paulo, UNIFESP Paulista School of Medicine, EPM, 740, Botucatu Street, 04023 900 São Paulo SP, Brazil
Arthritis Res Ther 13:R16. 2011....
- Antioxidant intake among Brazilian adults--the Brazilian Osteoporosis Study (BRAZOS): a cross-sectional studyMarcelo Medeiros Pinheiro
Rheumatology Division, Federal University of São Paulo Paulista School of Medicine UNIFESP EPM, Brazil
Nutr J 10:39. 2011....
- The burden of osteoporosis in Brazil: regional data from fractures in adult men and women--the Brazilian Osteoporosis Study (BRAZOS)Marcelo M Pinheiro
Disciplina de Reumatologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo EPM
Rev Bras Reumatol 50:113-27. 2010..This report shows the main results according to each region of the country...
- Risk factors for osteoporotic fractures and low bone density in pre and postmenopausal womenMarcelo M Pinheiro
Disciplina de Reumatologia, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 44:479-85. 2010..To estimate the prevalence and analyze risk factors associated to osteoporosis and low-trauma fracture in women...
- Epidemiology of osteoporotic fractures in Brazil: what we have and what we needMarcelo de Medeiros Pinheiro
Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 54:164-70. 2010..Considering its high prevalence and associated mortality and physical impairment, osteoporosis and its main consequence, bone fragility fractures, must be considered a major public health problem in our country...
- Risk factors for recurrent falls among Brazilian women and men: the Brazilian Osteoporosis Study (BRAZOS)Marcelo de Medeiros Pinheiro
Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 26:89-96. 2010..These findings demonstrated the high prevalence of recurrent falls and emphasize that a multidisciplinary approach is necessary to minimize recurrent falls and their consequences, including osteoporotic fractures...
- [FRAX: building an idea to Brazil]Marcelo de Medeiros Pinheiro
Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 53:783-90. 2009..In fact, it is not recommended to use any of the populations available in the FRAX TM tool, as a substitute for the Brazilian population...
- Nutrient intakes related to osteoporotic fractures in men and women--the Brazilian Osteoporosis Study (BRAZOS)Marcelo M Pinheiro
Rheumatology Division, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo EPM, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Nutr J 8:6. 2009..Adequate nutrition plays an important role in bone mass accrual and maintenance and has been demonstrated as a significant tool for the prevention of fractures in individuals with osteoporosis...
- Clinical risk factors for osteoporotic fractures in Brazilian women and men: the Brazilian Osteoporosis Study (BRAZOS)M M Pinheiro
Rheumatology Division, Federal University of Sao Paulo, UNIFESP EPM, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Osteoporos Int 20:399-408. 2009..8% in the men. Moreover, advanced age, sedentarism, family history of hip fracture, current smoking, recurrent falls, diabetes mellitus and poor quality of life are the main clinical risk factors associated with fragility fractures...
- Low femoral bone mineral density and quantitative ultrasound are risk factors for new osteoporotic fracture and total and cardiovascular mortality: a 5-year population-based study of Brazilian elderly womenMarcelo M Pinheiro
Rheumatology Division, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo Escola Paulista de Medicina, UNIFESP EPM, Rua Botucatu, 740, 3th andar, Vila Clementino, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil, CEP 04023 062
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61:196-203. 2006..However, the relationship among incident fracture risk, mortality, BMD, and quantitative ultrasound is controversial and less studied...
- Relationship between nutrient intake and vitamin D status in osteoporotic womenPatricia de Souza Genaro
Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health, University of Sao Paulo, Avenida Dr Arnaldo 715, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 77:376-81. 2007..Higher levels of serum 25(OH)D were inversely associated with sodium intake. Dietary strategies to improve serum vitamin D must focus on increasing vitamin D intake and should take a reduction of sodium intake into consideration...
- Diet, body composition, and bone mass in well-trained cyclistsVivian Santos da Rocha Penteado
Rheumatology Division, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo Escola Paulista de Medicina, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Densitom 13:43-50. 2010..Our results demonstrate that cycling was associated with greater aerobic conditioning and lean mass without significant association with bone mass compared with sedentary controls...
- Prevalence of self-reported diagnosis of osteoporosis in Brazil, 2006Ligia Araujo Martini
Departamento de Nutricao, Faculdade de Saude Publica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 43:107-16. 2009..To estimate the prevalence of self-reported osteoporosis (with previous medical diagnosis) and the associated risk and protection factors...
- Is a lower dose of vitamin D supplementation enough to increase 25(OH)D status in a sunny country?Giselle A P Pignotti
Nutrition Department, School of Public Health, University of Sao Paulo, Av Dr Arnaldo, 715, Sao Paulo, SP, CEP 01246 904, Brazil
Eur J Nutr 49:277-83. 2010..The study was conducted in subtropic weather; therefore, some might believe that the levels of solar radiation would be sufficient in this area...