- Prevention of hypertension in patients with pre-hypertension: protocol for the PREVER-prevention trialFlavio D Fuchs
Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Trials 12:65. 2011..The PREVER-prevention trial aims to investigate the efficacy, safety and feasibility of a population-based intervention to prevent the incidence of hypertension and the development of target-organ damage...
- A comparison between diuretics and angiotensin-receptor blocker agents in patients with stage I hypertension (PREVER-treatment trial): study protocol for a randomized double-blind controlled trialFlavio D Fuchs
Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Trials 12:53. 2011..Diuretics are as efficacious as other agents, are well tolerated, have longer duration of action and low cost, but have been scarcely compared with ARBs. A study comparing diuretic and ARB is therefore warranted...
- Association between different measurements of blood pressure variability by ABP monitoring and ankle-brachial indexEstefânia Wittke
Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Brazil
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 10:55. 2010..We evaluated the association between three different methods to estimate BP variability by ABPM and the ankle brachial index (ABI)...
- [Which threshold values should be recommended in ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and self blood pressure monitoring?]Miguel Gus
Hospital de Clinicas, Porto Alegre, RS
Arq Bras Cardiol 85:212-4. 2005
- Risk for Obstructive Sleep Apnea by Berlin Questionnaire, but not daytime sleepiness, is associated with resistant hypertension: a case-control studyMiguel Gus
Division of Cardiology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Am J Hypertens 21:832-5. 2008..In a case-control study, we investigate the association between resistant hypertension and sleep disorders evaluated by the Berlin Questionnaire and Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS)...
- Waist circumference cut-off values to predict the incidence of hypertension: an estimation from a Brazilian population-based cohortM Gus
Division of Cardiology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, UFRGS, Brazil
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 19:15-9. 2009..In this study, we identify the best cut-off values for waist circumference (WC) associated with the incidence of hypertension...
- Association between pregnancy-related hypertension and severity of hypertensionL B Moreira
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Hum Hypertens 23:415-9. 2009..In conclusion, pregnancy-related hypertension is frequent in women referred to a hypertension clinic, and is associated with severe hypertension but not with evidence of end-organ damage...
- Incidence of hypertension in Porto Alegre, Brazil: a population-based studyL B Moreira
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, , Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Hum Hypertens 22:48-50. 2008
- Absence of association between depression and hypertension: results of a prospectively designed population-based studyM Wiehe
Division of Cardiology, , Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
J Hum Hypertens 20:434-9. 2006..15; 95% CI:0.75-1.76). Hypertension and depression were not associated in this free-living population of adults, suggesting that their concomitant occurrence in clinical practice may be ascribed to chance...
- Stopping oral contraceptives: an effective blood pressure-lowering intervention in women with hypertensionJ N Lubianca
, , Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
J Hum Hypertens 19:451-5. 2005..The odds ratio (adjusted) for having a decrease of at least 20 mmHg in SBP or 10 mmHg in DBP was 0.28 (95% CI 0.08-0.90) in patients who stopped OC. Stopping OC is an effective antihypertensive intervention in a clinical setting...
- Headache is not more frequent among patients with moderate to severe hypertensionF D Fuchs
Division of Cardiology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
J Hum Hypertens 17:787-90. 2003..The novel finding of an inverse association between pulse pressure and headache should be addressed in further investigations...
- Oral triiodothyronine for the prevention of thyroid hormone reduction in adult valvular cardiac surgeryA P A Magalhães
Unidade de Pesquisa, Instituto de Cardiologia do Rio Grande do Sul, Fundação Universitária de Cardiologia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 39:969-78. 2006..Administration of oral T3 prevented its serum reduction after valvular cardiac surgery in adults, with normal serum levels for 48 h without disproportional elevations...
- Obstructive sleep apnea and resistant hypertension: a case-control studySandro Cadaval Goncalves
Division of Cardiology and Postgraduate Program in Cardiology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Chest 132:1858-62. 2007..Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) has been linked to resistant hypertension, but the magnitude of this association and its independence of confounding have not been established...
- Adverse events of blood-pressure-lowering drugs: evidence of high incidence in a clinical settingCarla B C Gonçalves
Schools of Pharmacy and Medicine, Universidade de Passo Fundo, Passo Fundo, Brazil
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 63:973-8. 2007..The secondary objectives were to determine the incidence of AEs by classes of blood-pressure-lowering drugs used in monotherapy and to identify risk factors for the occurrence of AEs...
- What is next when the first blood pressure-lowering drug is not sufficient?Flavio D Fuchs
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Division of Cardiology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Ramiro Barcelos, Porto Alegre RS, Brazil
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 5:435-9. 2007..For now, in the absence of a sound basis for choosing the second blood pressure-lowering agent, the classical stepped-care approach recommended by the first National High Blood Pressure Education Program may still be a valid guideline...
- Epworth's sleepiness scale in outpatients with different values of arterial blood pressureMiguel Gus
Unidade de Pesquisa, Instituto de Cardiologia do Rio Grande do Sul, Fundação Universitária de Cardiologia, Porto Alegre, RS, 90620 001, Brazil
Arq Bras Cardiol 78:17-24. 2002..To compare sleepiness scores of the Epworth scale in patients with different levels of arterial pressure when undergoing outpatient monitoring within the context of clinical evaluation...
- Pharmaceutical care program for patients with uncontrolled hypertension. Report of a double-blind clinical trial with ambulatory blood pressure monitoringMauro Silveira de Castro
Department of Drug Production and Control, , Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Am J Hypertens 19:528-33. 2006..904). CONCLUSIONS: The pharmaceutical care program tested in this trial was feasible and showed a trend for better BP control in patients with uncontrolled hypertension...
- Predictive factors of complications after coronary stent implantationAlexandre Schaan de Quadros
Instituto de Cardiologia do Rio Grande do Sul, Fundação Universitária de Cardiologia
Arq Bras Cardiol 80:531-43. 2003..To analyze the predictive factors of complications after implantation of coronary stents in a consecutive cohort study...
- Association between different measurements of obesity and the incidence of hypertensionMiguel Gus
Division of Cardiology, School of Medicine, Universidade Federa do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Am J Hypertens 17:50-3. 2004..78 (0.76-4.09, P =.18) for men with WC >/=102, and 1.72 (1.09-2.73, P =.02) for women with WC >/=88 cm. CONCLUSIONS: We conclude that the risk for hypertension may be better identified by obesity defined by higher WC than higher BMI...
- Prevalence, awareness, and control of systemic arterial hypertension in the state of Rio Grande do SulIseu Gus
Instituto de Cardiologia do Rio Grande do Sul, , Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Arq Bras Cardiol 83:429-33; 424-8. 2004..This study allowed the definition of a target group -- elderly, obese individuals with low educational level -- for both diagnostic campaigns and better control of blood pressure levels...
- Measuring arteriolar-to-venous ratio in retinal photography of patients with hypertension: development and application of a new semi-automated methodHelena M Pakter
Graduate Studies Program in Epidemiology, , Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, 90035-903, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Am J Hypertens 18:417-21. 2005..Its performance in clinical practice and in the prediction of cardiovascular events should be confirmed in larger databases with retinographies...
- [IV Guideline for ambulatory blood pressure monitoring. II Guideline for home blood pressure monitoring. IV ABPM/II HBPM.]Alexandre Alessi
Arq Bras Cardiol 85:1-18. 2005
- Superiority of ambulatory over clinic blood pressure measurementMiguel Gus
Hypertension 46:e11; author reply e11-2. 2005
- Anthropometric indices and the incidence of hypertension: a comparative analysisFlavio D Fuchs
Division of Cardiology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Obes Res 13:1515-7. 2005..To investigate the association between several anthropometric measurements of obesity with the incidence of hypertension...
- ASCOT-BPLAFlavio Danni Fuchs
Lancet 367:205; author reply 207-8. 2006
- Detection of arteriolar narrowing in fundoscopic examination: evidence of a low performance of direct ophthalmoscopy in comparison with a microdensitometric methodMarcelo M Maestri
Post Graduate Program in Medical Sciences, School of Medicine, Division of Ophthalmology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, Brazil
Am J Hypertens 20:501-5. 2007..The precision of internists and ophthalmologists in the assessment of retinal vessels widths has been disputed but not evaluated against a technology of edge detection...
- Incidence of hypertension by alcohol consumption: is it modified by race?André Avelino Steffens
Division of Cardiology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
J Hypertens 24:1489-92. 2006..To investigate the influence of race, binge drinking and alcohol addiction on the association between consumption of alcoholic beverages and incidence of hypertension...