- The interactions and essential effects of intrinsic insulin-like growth factor-I on Leishmania (Leishmania) major growth within macrophagesL C Reis
Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Universidade de Sao Paulo, IMTSP USP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Parasite Immunol 35:239-44. 2013..This reduced expression was accompanied by a reduction in the cellular parasite load that was completely recovered with the addition of extrinsic IGF-I, which suggests an essential role for IGF-I in Leishmania growth. ..
- Cutaneous and mucocutaneous leishmaniasisHiro Goto
Department of Preventive Medicine, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Infect Dis Clin North Am 26:293-307. 2012..This article highlights the diversity and complexity of tegumentary leishmaniases, which are worsened by human immunodeficiency virus/Leishmania coinfection...
- Transmission potential, skin inflammatory response, and parasitism of symptomatic and asymptomatic dogs with visceral leishmaniasisB L A Verçosa
Departamento de Clínica e Cirurgia Veterinária, Centro de Ciencias Agrarias, Universidade Federal do Piaui, Teresina PI, Brasil
BMC Vet Res 4:45. 2008..In this study we aimed to identify clinical parameters, reinforced by pathological parameters that characterize dogs with potential to transmit the parasite to the vector...
- T cells, adhesion molecules and modulation of apoptosis in visceral leishmaniasis glomerulonephritisFrancisco A L Costa
Departamento de Clínica e Cirurgia Veterinária, Centro de Ciencias Agrarias, Universidade Federal do Piaui, Teresina, PI, Brazil
BMC Infect Dis 10:112. 2010..chagasi that causes visceral leishmaniasis (VL). The similarity of VL manifestation in humans and dogs renders the study of canine VL nephropathy of interest with regard to human pathology...
- High levels of T lymphocyte activation in Leishmania-HIV-1 co-infected individuals despite low HIV viral loadJoanna R Santos-Oliveira
Laboratório Interdisciplinar de Pesquisas Médicas, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Av, Brasil 4365, Rio de Janeiro CEP 21040 360, Brazil
BMC Infect Dis 10:358. 2010..We investigated whether leishmaniasis increases lymphocyte activation in HIV-1 co-infected patients. This might contribute to impaired cellular immune function...
- Immunoactivation and immunopathogeny during active visceral leishmaniasisHiro Goto
Laboratory of Seroepidemiology and Immunobiology, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Universidade de Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 51:241-6. 2009..While current views only consider immunocomplex deposition, macrophages, T cells, cytokines, and immunoglobulins by diverse mechanism also play important roles in the pathogenesis...
- Current diagnosis and treatment of cutaneous and mucocutaneous leishmaniasisHiro Goto
Laboratório de Soroepidemiologia do Instituto de Medicina Tropical da Universidade de São Paulo, Avenida Dr Eneas de Carvalho Aguiar, prédio II, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 8:419-33. 2010..In addition to a review of the drugs currently utilized, we describe differences in their effectiveness in Old and New World leishmaniasis. HIV/Leishmania coinfection is also presented in the context of diagnosis and treatment...
- Immunity and immunosuppression in experimental visceral leishmaniasisH Goto
Laboratorio de Soroepidemiologia e Imunobiologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo e Departamento de Medicina Preventiva, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 37:615-23. 2004..A better understanding of this complex immune response and the mechanisms of immunosuppression in experimental visceral leishmaniasis will contribute to the study of human disease and to vaccine development...
- Tegumentary leishmaniasis as a manifestation of immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in 2 patients with AIDSMaria P Posada-Vergara
Laboratorio de Soroepidemiologia e Imunobiologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Departamento de Doencas Infecciosas e Parasitarias and Instituto de Infectologia Emilio Ribas, Brazil
J Infect Dis 192:1819-22. 2005..The lesions healed with anti-Leishmania therapy...
- High-density lipoprotein inhibits the uptake of modified low- density lipoprotein and the expression of CD36 and FcgammaRIMárcia Dias Teixeira Carvalho
Laboratório de Imunofisiopatologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Atheroscler Thromb 17:844-57. 2010..The aim of this work was to analyze both the influence of HDL on the uptake of mLDL and the expression of CD36 and Fcgamma I receptors on monocytic cell lines during cell differentiation...
- Characterization of the receptor for insulin-like growth factor on Leishmania promastigotesC M Gomes
Laboratory of Pathology of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pathology, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Exp Parasitol 99:190-7. 2001..Activation of the IGF-I receptor also leads to phosphorylation of an 185-kDa molecule that is homologous to the substrate of the insulin receptor present in human cells, the insulin receptor substrate 1 (IRS-1)...
- Cell activation state influences the modulation of HLA-DR surface expression on human monocytes/macrophages by parenteral fish oil lipid emulsionR S Torrinhas
Medical School, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Nutr Hosp 25:462-7. 2010..Further clinical studies evaluating the ideal moment of fish oil LE infusion to modulate leukocyte functions may contribute to a better understanding of its immune modulatory properties...
- Unusual manifestations of tegumentary leishmaniasis in AIDS patients from the New WorldJ A L Lindoso
Laboratorio de Soroepidemiologia e Imunobiologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo da Universidade de São Paulo, Avenida Dr Enéas de Carvalho Aguiar 500, 05403 000 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Br J Dermatol 160:311-8. 2009..Comorbidity from tegumentary leishmaniasis and AIDS is poorly characterized...
- Monoclonal antibodies against low density lipoprotein with various degrees of oxidative modifications- Gidlund
Departamento de Patologia, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 29:1625-8. 1996..We conclude that these monoclonal antibodies could be useful to further investigate the role of oxLDL in inflammation and in the immune response...
- Apoptosis of Leishmania (Leishmania) chagasi amastigotes in hamsters infected with visceral leishmaniasisJose A L Lindoso
Laboratorio de Soroepidemiologia e Imunobiologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Avenida Dr Eneas de Carvalho Aguiar, 470, 05403 000 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Int J Parasitol 34:1-4. 2004..Apoptosis of Leishmania amastigotes in vivo may constitute a mechanism that regulates growth of the parasite population during infection...
- Recombinant Leishmania infantum heat shock protein 83 for the serodiagnosis of cutaneous, mucosal, and visceral leishmaniasesBeatriz Julieta Celeste
Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil Departamento de Dermatologia da Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil Departamento de Clínica e Cirurgia Veterinária, Centro de Ciências Agrárias CCA, Universidade Federal do Piaui, Teresina, Piaui, Brazil Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 90:860-5. 2014..infantum-rHsp83 as a routine confirmatory serological assay for the diagnosis of Leishmania infection because of the high sensitivity, the specificity, and the insignificant cross-reactivity with other infectious diseases...
- Diminished CD4+/CD25+ T cell and increased IFN-gamma levels occur in dogs vaccinated with Leishmune in an endemic area for visceral leishmaniasisValéria Marçal Felix de Lima
Departamento de Clinica, Cirugia e Reproduçãp Animal, Faculdade de Odontologia, Curso de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidade Estadual Paulista Julio de Mesquita Filho, Araçatuba Campus, SP, Brazil
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 135:296-302. 2010..05), and the vaccine reduced CD4+/CD25+ T cell presence compared to that observed before vaccination. These responses may constitute part of the immune mechanism induced by Leishmune...
- Leishmania (Leishmania) chagasi-infected mice as a model for the study of glomerular lesions in visceral leishmaniasisM G Prianti
Laboratorio de Soroepidemiologia e Imunobiologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de São PauloSão Paulo, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 40:819-23. 2007..Time-dependent IgG deposits were also seen in infected mice. We consider L. (L.) chagasi-infected mice to be a suitable model for studies of the immunopathogenesis of glomerular lesions in VL...
- Cytokine profile in Montenegro skin test of patients with localized cutaneous and mucocutaneous leishmaniasisMarcia Ferraz Nogueira
Departamento de Dermatologia, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Santo Amaro, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 50:333-7. 2008..There was no significant difference in IFN-gamma expression between groups. The obtained results suggest the role of IL-4 and IL-5 in the maintenance of the immunopathogenic mechanism of the destructive lesions that characterize MCL...
- Effect of insulin-like growth factor-I on Leishmania amazonensis promastigote arginase activation and reciprocal inhibition of NOS2 pathway in macrophage in vitroC M V Vendrame
Laboratorio de Soroepidemiologia e Imunobiologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Scand J Immunol 66:287-96. 2007....
- Histopathologic patterns of nephropathy in naturally acquired canine visceral leishmaniasisF A L Costa
Laboratório de Soroepidemiologia e Imunobiologia Celular e Molecular, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Vet Pathol 40:677-84. 2003..Considering that the alterations of canine and human nephropathy in VL are very similar, the data obtained in this study constitute an important contribution to the understanding of canine and human VL nephropathy...
- Detection of immunoglobulin G in the lung and liver of hamsters with visceral leishmaniasisR Mathias
, , , , 470, , , SP, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 34:539-43. 2001..We conclude that IgG may participate in the pathogenesis of the inflammatory process of the lung and liver occurring in experimental visceral leishmaniasis and we discuss an alternative mechanism other than immune complex deposition...
- Leishmania infantum heat shock protein 83 for the serodiagnosis of tegumentary leishmaniasisB J Celeste
Laboratorio de Soroepidemiologia e Imunobiologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 37:1591-3. 2004..When cross-reactivity was tested, chronic Chagas' disease patients (N = 10) did not show any reactivity. Therefore, we consider this L. infantum Hsp 83 to be a good antigen for routine use for serodiagnosis of tegumentary leishmaniasis...
- A point mutation responsible for human erythrocyte AMP deaminase deficiencyY Yamada
Department of Genetics, Institute for Developmental Research, Aichi Prefectural Colony, Kasugai, Japan
Hum Mol Genet 3:331-4. 1994..This mis-sense mutation reads to a catalytically inactive enzyme...
- Adenovirus-mediated gene therapy specific for small cell lung cancer cells using a Myc-Max binding motifK Nishino
Department of Molecular Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2-2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Int J Cancer 91:851-6. 2001..These results suggested that AdMycTK/GCV therapy is effective on SCLC patients whose tumors overexpress myc family oncogenes...
- An assessment of the immunological status of patients with renal cell carcinoma based on the relative abundance of T-helper 1- and -2 cytokine-producing CD4+ cells in peripheral bloodT Onishi
Department of Urology, Aoto University Hospital, Jikei University School of Medicine
BJU Int 87:755-9. 2001....
- Increased basal phosphorylation of mitogen-activated protein kinases and reduced responsiveness to inflammatory cytokines in neutrophils from patients with rheumatoid arthritisM Inaba
Department of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Molecular Medicine, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Abeno Ku, Osaka, Japan
Clin Exp Rheumatol 26:52-60. 2008....
- The interaction of host genetic factors and Helicobacter pylori infectionT Ando
Department of Gastroenterology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Showa Ku, Nagoya, 466 8550, Japan
Inflammopharmacology 15:10-4. 2007..Prevention of gastric cancer requires the development of better screening strategies for determining eradication candidates and further improvement of treatments of Helicobacter pylori infection...
- [Immunopathologic changes in HIV-Leishmania co-infection]A M Da-Cruz
Laboratorio de Imunoparasitologia, Departamento de Imunologia ioc
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 39:75-9. 2006
- Platelet-derived growth factor signals play critical roles in differentiation of longitudinal smooth muscle cells in mouse embryonic gutM Kurahashi
Department of Anatomy and Molecular Cell Biology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Tsurumai, Showa Ku, Nagoya, Japan
Neurogastroenterol Motil 20:521-31. 2008..The selective PDGF receptor inhibitor AG1295 suppressed the differentiation of LMC in gut explants. We conclude that PDGF signals play critical roles in the differentiation of LMC in mouse embryonic gut...
- Purine nucleoside kinases in human T- and B-lymphoblastsY Yamada
Biochim Biophys Acta 761:34-40. 1983..Deoxyadenosine phosphorylating activity in B-lymphoblast extracts was more distinctly inhibited by dCTP than that in T-lymphoblast extracts...