- Rehospitalization rates of patients with schizophrenia discharged on haloperidol, risperidone or clozapineAna Paula Werneck de Castro
Department and Institute of Psychiatry, Clinical Hospital, Medical School, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 29:207-12. 2007....
- [Brazilian Consensus on second-generation antipsychotics and metabolic disorders]Helio Elkis
Instituto de Psiquiatria, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 30:77-85. 2008..Such metabolic effects increase the risk of mortality by cardiovascular disease, which is the leading cause of death among schizophrenic patients...
- [Refractory schizophrenia]Helio Elkis
Departamento e Instituto de Psiquiatria, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 29:S41-7. 2007....
- Treatment-resistant schizophreniaHelio Elkis
Department and Institute of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo Medical School FMUSP, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Psychiatr Clin North Am 30:511-33. 2007....
- Clinical aspects of super-refractory schizophrenia: a 6-month cohort observational studyJorge Henna Neto
Institute of Psychiatry, Hospital das Clinicas, Medical School, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 29:228-32. 2007..The aim of this study was to characterize patients with super-refractory schizophrenia according to demographic and psychopathological variables, as compared with patients with refractory schizophrenia or non-refractory subjects...
- A 6-month randomized controlled trial to test the efficacy of a lifestyle intervention for weight gain management in schizophreniaCecília Attux
Department of Psychiatry, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Rua Machado Bitencourt, 222, Vila Clementino, CEP 04044 000, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
BMC Psychiatry 13:60. 2013..Patients with schizophrenia have lower longevity than the general population as a consequence of a combination of risk factors connected to the disease, lifestyle and the use of medications, which are related to weight gain...
- Obsessive-compulsive symptoms and disorder in patients with schizophrenia treated with clozapine or haloperidolAntonio R Sa
Department and Institute of Psychiatry, Clinical Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Compr Psychiatry 50:437-42. 2009..These results may support an association between the exacerbation of obsessive-compulsive phenomena and the use of clozapine...
- Time to rehospitalization in patients with schizophrenia discharged on first generation antipsychotics, non-clozapine second generation antipsychotics, or clozapineAna Paula Werneck
Department and Institute of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Rua Dr Ovidio Pires de Campos 785, Sao Paulo, 05403 010, Brazil
Psychiatry Res 188:315-9. 2011..The risk of rehospitalization in patients on olanzapine and amisulpride, and oral FGA, was similar to that of patients in use of clozapine. These results however, are limited by the heterogeneity of illness severity across the groups...
- The psychopathological factors of refractory schizophreniaTânia Maria Alves
Post Graduate Program in Psychiatry, Medical School, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 27:108-12. 2005..The objective of this study was to elucidate clusters of symptoms in patients with refractory schizophrenia which may also help to assess the patients' therapeutical response...
- Conjugated estrogens as adjuvant therapy in the treatment of acute schizophrenia: a double-blind studyMario R Louzã
Department and Institute of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Rua Dr Ovidio Pires de Campos s n, P O Box 3671, 05403 010 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Schizophr Res 66:97-100. 2004..Our negative findings regarding the antipsychotic effect of conjugated estrogens does not preclude, however, a possible efficacy of other estrogens, such as 17-beta-estradiol, in schizophrenia...
- Efficacy of olanzapine in comparison with clozapine for treatment-resistant schizophrenia: evidence from a systematic review and meta-analysesJuliano S Souza
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
CNS Spectr 18:82-9. 2013..Clozapine is considered the gold standard for the treatment of patients with treatment-resistant schizophrenia (TRS); however, randomized controlled trials (RCT) of olanzapine showed efficacy similar to clozapine in patients with TRS...
- A preliminary controlled trial of cognitive behavioral therapy in clozapine-resistant schizophreniaEliza Martha de Paiva Barretto
Department and Institute of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, SP 05403 010, Brazil
J Nerv Ment Dis 197:865-8. 2009..The improvement in psychopathology persisted at 6-month follow-up assessment...
- Obsessive-compulsive symptoms among patients with Sydenham choreaFernando R Asbahr
Department of Psychiatry, Laboratory of Medical Investigation LIM 23, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil
Biol Psychiatry 57:1073-6. 2005..We hypothesized that OCS occurring in association with SC would be similar to those among patients with tic disorders...
- Effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation on auditory hallucinations refractory to clozapineMarina O Rosa
Institute of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo, Faculty of Medicine, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1528-32. 2007..To study the therapeutic effects on auditory hallucinations refractory to clozapine with 1-Hz repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) applied on the left temporoparietal cortex...
- Reduced cortical folding in schizophrenia: an MRI morphometric studyPaulo C Sallet
Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Rua Dr Ovidio Pires de Campos s n, 05403 010 Sāo Paulo SP, Brazil
Am J Psychiatry 160:1606-13. 2003..The aim of the present study was to investigate cortical folding as an index of the neuronal wiring in different subtypes of schizophrenia...
- Structural brain abnormalities in early-onset schizophreniaMaria Cristina Lombardo Ferrari
Instituto de Psiquiatria, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 64:741-6. 2006..Few studies investigated brain abnormalities in early onset schizophrenia...
- Evaluation of the factors interfering with drug treatment compliance among Brazilian patients with schizophreniaMoacyr Alexandro Rosa
Psychiatry Unit, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 27:178-84. 2005..In order to rate compliance and assess the most significant differences between compliant and noncompliant patients, a Brazilian population of schizophrenic outpatients was followed for one year...
- Randomized controlled trial of occupational therapy in patients with treatment-resistant schizophreniaPatrícia Cardoso Buchain
Schizophrenia Program and Proerta Projesq Treatment Resistant Schizophrenia Project Institute of Psychiatry of the Hospital das Clínicas of the School of Medicine University of São Paulo FMUSP São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 25:26-30. 2003..The aim of this study is to investigate if OT is effective when added to a psychopharmacological treatment in TRS...
- Refractory psychotic symptoms in a patient with homozygous sickle cell disease: a 24-month follow-upPedro Gomes de Alvarenga
Department and Institute of Psychiatry, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:301-3. 2008..Clozapine was effective in controlling psychotic symptoms refractory to previous antipsychotic trials...
- Switching from oral risperidone to flexibly dosed oral paliperidone extended-release: core symptoms, satisfaction, and quality of life in patients with stable but symptomatic schizophrenia: the RISPALI studyWagner F Gattaz
Department and Institute of Psychiatry, and Laboratory of Neuroscience LIM27, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil
Curr Med Res Opin 30:695-709. 2014....
- Current clinical research environment: focus on psychiatrySonia Mansoldo Dainesi
Núcleo de Apoio à Pesquisa Clínica, Hospital das Clinicas, Medical School, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 29:283-90. 2007..Improving the health and quality of life of the global population is certainly the major objective of all of the work done in this area...
- Prevalence and underrecognition of dysthymia among psychiatric outpatients in São Paulo, BrazilBelquis Schifnagel Avrichir
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Affect Disord 69:193-9. 2002..This paper presents a study on the prevalence of dysthymia in an outpatient psychiatric population in São Paulo, Brazil, identifying factors associated with the underdiagnosis of dysthymia...
- Re: Preferential aggregation of obsessive-compulsive spectrum disorders in schizophrenia patients with OCDAntonio R Sa
Can J Psychiatry 53:73; author reply 73-4. 2008
- Comments on "Weight gain management in patients with schizophrenia during treatment with olanzapine in association with nizatidine"Antonio Reis de Sá
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 29:90; author reply 91. 2007
- Rightward cerebral asymmetry in subtypes of schizophrenia according to Leonhard's classification and to DSM-IV: a structural MRI studyPaulo C Sallet
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Rua Ovídio Pires de Campos s n, São Paulo CEP 05403 010, Brazil
Psychiatry Res 123:65-79. 2003..Increased VBR values showed a single normal distribution in the subgroups, indicating that ventricular enlargement is not restricted to a subgroup but is present to a certain degree in all cases...