- Young adult oncology: the patients and their survival challenges
Cancer Treatment Center, St Charles Medical Center, Bend, OR, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 57:242-55. 2007
..Against this background, young adults with cancer have unique survival challenges--medically, psychosocially, and economically--that are now beginning to be appreciated and addressed with a national initiative...
- Effect of three decades of screening mammography on breast-cancer incidence
Quality Department, St Charles Health System, Central Oregon, Portland, USA
N Engl J Med 367:1998-2005. 2012
..Effective cancer-screening programs therefore both increase the incidence of cancer detected at an early stage and decrease the incidence of cancer presenting at a late stage...
- How NCCN guidelines can help young adults and older adolescents with cancer and the professionals who care for them
St Charles Health System, Central Eastern Oregon, and Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97701, USA
J Natl Compr Canc Netw 10:1065-71. 2012
..A patient version will have mutually beneficial effects for families and professionals...
- Potential favorable impact of the affordable care act of 2010 on cancer in young adults in the United States
W Archie Bleyer
Cancer Treatment Center, St Charles Health System in Bend, OR, USA
Cancer J 16:563-71. 2010
..Nonetheless, ACA has provisions that should reduce the cancer problem in young adult Americans, some of which are now in effect and most of which will become available during the current decade...
- Relative lack of conditional survival improvement in young adults with cancer
St Charles Medical Center, Bend, OR 97701, USA
Semin Oncol 36:460-7. 2009
..Regardless of the reasons, the deficit is yet another challenge faced by young adult patients that merits further study...
- Cancer of the oral cavity and pharynx in young females: increasing incidence, role of human papilloma virus, and lack of survival improvement
St Charles Medical Center, Bend, OR 97701, USA
Semin Oncol 36:451-9. 2009
..If so, the human papillomavirus vaccines will have cancer prevention benefits beyond cervical carcinoma and will be needed increasingly as the incidence of head and neck cancer is projected to continue to rise in young women...
- The Quid Pro Quo of pediatric versus adult services for older adolescent cancer patients
Cancer Treatment Center, St Charles Medical Center, Bend, Oregon, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 54:238-41. 2010
..Data from the State of Georgia suggest that pediatric cancers have better survival outcomes when treated at pediatric cancer centers that are members of the nation's Children's Oncology Group (COG)...
- Cancer in young adults 20 to 39 years of age: overview
St Charles Medical Center, Bend, OR Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Semin Oncol 36:194-206. 2009
- Oral 6-mercaptopurine versus oral 6-thioguanine and veno-occlusive disease in children with standard-risk acute lymphoblastic leukemia: report of the Children's Oncology Group CCG-1952 clinical trial
Linda C Stork
Division of Hematology Oncology, Doernbecher Children s Hospital Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Blood 115:2740-8. 2010
..65, P = .002). The toxicities of TG preclude its protracted use as given in this study. This study is registered at http://clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00002744...
- Increased vulnerability of the spinal cord to radiation or intrathecal chemotherapy during adolescence: A report from the Children's Oncology Group
Cancer Treatment Center, St Charles Medical Center, 2500 N E Neff Road, Bend, OR 97701, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 53:1205-10. 2009
..To assess the rate of spinal cord toxicity in adolescents resulting from chemoradiotherapy of parameningeal sarcoma...
- The distinctive biology of cancer in adolescents and young adults
St Charles Medical Center, 2500 NE Neff Road, Bend, Oregon 97701, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 8:288-98. 2008
..Translational and clinical research should not assume that the biology of cancers and patients is the same as in other age groups, and treatment strategies should be tailored to the differences...
- CAUTION! Consider cancer: common symptoms and signs for early detection of cancer in young adults
St Charles Medical Center, Bend, OR, USA
Semin Oncol 36:207-12. 2009
..These aids have the potential of assisting in early detection, accurate diagnosis, longer survival, and a reduced risk of premature death...
- Returning to work after parenting a child with the most curable chronic disease
St. Charles Medical Center, 2500 NE Neff Rd, Bend, Oregon, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 51:1-2. 2008
- Adolescent and young adult (AYA) oncology: the first A
St Charles Medical Center, 2500 NE Neff Rd, Bend, OR 97701, USA
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 24:325-36. 2007
..Preliminary evidence indicates that these efforts have already had measurable success...
- Cancer in 15- to 29-year-olds by primary site
Cancer Treatment Center, St Charles Medical Center, 2500 N E Neff Road, Bend, Oregon 97702, USA
Oncologist 11:590-601. 2006
..Ultimately, a larger proportion of cases may be attributable to specific factors or genetic predisposition, but at present, most cancer in this age group appears to be sporadic and random...