- Threading needles in the dark: the effect of the physical work environment on nursing practice
Rural and Community Healthcare Institute, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX, USA
Crit Care Nurs Q 32:71-4; quiz 75-6. 2009
..This article reviews the draft guidelines recently released by the United States Pharmacopeia for public comment for the physical environment to promote safe medication administration...
- The blind men and the elephant. A fable for health care safety
Debora Simmons Bennett
The Institute for Health Care Excellence at The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 14:xiii-xvi. 2002
- Neonatal intensive care unit and emergency department nurses' descriptions of working together: building team relationships to improve safety
College of Nursing, Texas Woman s University, Houston, TX, USA
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 22:253-60. 2010
..Continuing to investigate teamwork can add to our understanding of what nurses and health professionals need to know about teamwork to help develop evidence-based team training in prelicensure education and in practice settings...
- Everyday thoughts: harnessing the thought process toward a practical framework for increasing critical thinking and reducing error
Debora Simmons Bennett
Department of Neurology, University of Texas Houston Medical School, Houston 77030, USA
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 14:385-90, viii-ix. 2002
..Application of human factor science to critical thinking development and measurement of critical thought in the error process yields new insight to the delivery of safe health care...
- Tubing misconnections--a systems failure with human factors: lessons for nursing practice
Texas A and M Health Science Center, Rural Community Health Institute, College Station, TX, USA
Urol Nurs 28:460-4. 2008
..Implications for nursing practice include the redesign of systems to accommodate human factors science and a change in health care's view of vigilance...
- Cause-and-effect mapping of critical events
College of Nursing, Texas Woman s University, 6700 Fannin, Houston, TX 77030 2343, USA
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 22:243-51. 2010
- A teamwork model to promote patient safety in critical care
The University of Texas Health Science Center School of Nursing, Houston 77030, USA
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 14:333-40. 2002
- Sedation and patient safety
The Institute for Healthcare Excellence, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe, Unit 141, Houston, TX 77030 4437, USA
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 17:279-85. 2005
..Using this approach offers consistency in investigation and a framework for making sense of data. For this article, sedatives and analgesic medication related events are considered...
- Reexamining fatigue: implications for nursing practice
The Center for Collaborative and Interactive Technologies at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Crit Care Nurs Q 32:112-5. 2009
..Fatigue can be the result of a multitude of contributing causes. Nurses and nursing leaders must be aware of the causes and effects of fatigue and ensure that its impact is considered where staffing and patient safety intersect...
- Tubing misconnections: normalization of deviance
1Texas Woman s University, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 26:286-93. 2011
..Misconnections are commonly attributed to the presence of universal connectors found in the majority of patient care tubing systems. Universal connectors allow for tubing misconnections between physiologically incompatible systems...
- Error-avoidance recommendations for tubing misconnections when using Luer-tip connectors: a statement by the USP Safe Medication Use Expert Committee
Institute for Healthcare Excellence, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 34:293-6, 245. 2008
..Recommendations are provided to assist health care professionals, manufacturers, and consumers in the appropriate handling of tubing with Luer-tip connectors...