Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Vinken M, Decrock E, Vanhaecke T, Leybaert L, Rogiers V. Connexin43 signaling contributes to spontaneous apoptosis in cultures of primary hepatocytes. Toxicol Sci. 2012;125:175-86 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data show that Cx43 signaling actively contributes to the occurrence of spontaneous apoptosis in cultures of primary hepatocytes. ..
- Maes M, Crespo Yanguas S, Willebrords J, Cogliati B, Vinken M. Connexin and pannexin signaling in gastrointestinal and liver disease. Transl Res. 2015;166:332-43 pubmed publisher..This could open promising perspectives for the characterization of new targets and biomarkers for therapeutic and diagnostic clinical purposes in the area of gastroenterology and hepatology. ..
- Vinken M, De Kock J, Oliveira A, Menezes G, Cogliati B, Dagli M, et al. Modifications in connexin expression in liver development and cancer. Cell Commun Adhes. 2012;19:55-62 pubmed publisher..Abnormalities of connexin production are observed in a number of pathological conditions, such as during liver cancer. This article provides an overview of these processes with emphasis on the underlying molecular mechanisms. ..
- Willebrords J, Pereira I, Maes M, Crespo Yanguas S, Colle I, Van den Bossche B, et al. Strategies, models and biomarkers in experimental non-alcoholic fatty liver disease research. Prog Lipid Res. 2015;59:106-25 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the current state-of-art regarding experimental biomarkers such as epigenetic, genetic, transcriptomic, proteomic and metabonomic biomarkers will be reviewed. ..
- Vinken M, Decrock E, Leybaert L, Bultynck G, Himpens B, Vanhaecke T, et al. Non-channel functions of connexins in cell growth and cell death. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1818:2002-8 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: The Communicating junctions, composition, structure and characteristics. ..
- Maes M, McGill M, da Silva T, Abels C, Lebofsky M, Maria Monteiro de Araújo C, et al. Involvement of connexin43 in acetaminophen-induced liver injury. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1862:1111-21 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that hepatic connexin43-based signaling may protect against acetaminophen-induced liver toxicity. ..
- Crespo Yanguas S, Willebrords J, Johnstone S, Maes M, Decrock E, De Bock M, et al. Pannexin1 as mediator of inflammation and cell death. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:51-61 pubmed publisher..In a first part, a state-of-the-art overview of pannexin channel structure, regulation and function is provided. In a second part, the mechanisms behind their involvement in inflammation and cell death are discussed. ..
- Vinken M, Blaauboer B. In vitro testing of basal cytotoxicity: Establishment of an adverse outcome pathway from chemical insult to cell death. Toxicol In Vitro. 2017;39:104-110 pubmed publisher..The suggested strategy to consider in vitro basal cytotoxicity as a first step in evaluating the toxicity of new chemical entities can be placed in a tiered strategy that could be continued by evaluating more specific types of toxicity. ..
- Vinken M. Regulation of connexin signaling by the epigenetic machinery. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1859:262-8 pubmed publisher..This paper provides an overview of the role of major determinants of the epigenome, including DNA methylation, histone acetylation and microRNA species, in connexin expression. ..
- Maes M, Vinken M, Jaeschke H. Experimental models of hepatotoxicity related to acute liver failure. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2016;290:86-97 pubmed publisher..Each of these models has a number of strengths and weaknesses. This paper specifically reviews commonly used chemical in vivo and in vitro models of hepatotoxicity associated with acute liver failure. ..
- Willebrords J, Maes M, Crespo Yanguas S, Vinken M. Inhibitors of connexin and pannexin channels as potential therapeutics. Pharmacol Ther. 2017;180:144-160 pubmed publisher..In this paper, a state-of-the-art overview is provided on inhibitors of cellular channels consisting of connexins and pannexins with specific focus on their mode-of-action and therapeutic potential. ..
- Willebrords J, Maes M, Pereira I, da Silva T, Govoni V, Lopes V, et al. Protective effect of genetic deletion of pannexin1 in experimental mouse models of acute and chronic liver disease. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2018;1864:819-830 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results of this study suggest that pannexin1 may play a role in the pathogenesis of liver disease. ..
- Vinken M, Doktorova T, Ellinger Ziegelbauer H, Ahr H, Lock E, Carmichael P, et al. The carcinoGENOMICS project: critical selection of model compounds for the development of omics-based in vitro carcinogenicity screening assays. Mutat Res. 2008;659:202-10 pubmed publisher..Since selecting an appropriate set of chemicals is a frequent impediment in the early stages of similar research projects, the information provided in this paper might be extremely valuable. ..
- Vinken M, Knapen D, Vergauwen L, Hengstler J, Angrish M, Whelan M. Adverse outcome pathways: a concise introduction for toxicologists. Arch Toxicol. 2017;91:3697-3707 pubmed publisher..The present paper provides a synopsis of the main principles related to the AOP framework for the toxicologist less familiar with this area, followed by two case studies relevant for human toxicology and ecotoxicology. ..
- Maes M, McGill M, da Silva T, Abels C, Lebofsky M, Weemhoff J, et al. Inhibition of pannexin1 channels alleviates acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity. Arch Toxicol. 2017;91:2245-2261 pubmed publisher..Pannexin1 channels are important actors in liver injury triggered by acetaminophen. Inhibition of pannexin1 channel opening could represent a novel approach for the treatment of drug-induced hepatotoxicity. ..
- Vinken M. Gap junctions and non-neoplastic liver disease. J Hepatol. 2012;57:655-62 pubmed publisher..The use of connexins as biomarkers and therapeutic targets in liver disease is also illustrated...
- Maes M, Crespo Yanguas S, Willebrords J, Weemhoff J, da Silva T, Decrock E, et al. Connexin hemichannel inhibition reduces acetaminophen-induced liver injury in mice. Toxicol Lett. 2017;278:30-37 pubmed publisher..This study shows for the first time a role for connexin hemichannels in acetaminophen-induced acute liver failure. ..
- Willebrords J, Cogliati B, Pereira I, da Silva T, Crespo Yanguas S, Maes M, et al. Inhibition of connexin hemichannels alleviates non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in mice. Sci Rep. 2017;7:8268 pubmed publisher..These findings show the involvement of connexin32 and connexin43 hemichannels in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis and, simultaneously, suggest a role as potential drug targets in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. ..
- Vinken M, Snykers S, Fraczek J, Decrock E, Leybaert L, Rogiers V, et al. DNA methyltransferase 3a expression decreases during apoptosis in primary cultures of hepatocytes. Toxicol In Vitro. 2010;24:445-51 pubmed publisher..This finding further substantiates the existence of an epigenetic signature of apoptosis. ..