Genomes and Genes
Karine H Hellemans
Affiliation: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Specificity in beta cell expression of L-3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase, short chain, and potential role in down-regulating insulin releaseGeert A Martens
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University VUB, Laarbeeklaan 103, B 1090 Brussels
J Biol Chem 282:21134-44. 2007..Down-regulation of HADHSC causes an elevated secretory activity suggesting that this enzyme protects against inappropriately high insulin levels and hypoglycemia...
- Susceptibility of pancreatic beta cells to fatty acids is regulated by LXR/PPARalpha-dependent stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturaseKarine H Hellemans
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University VUB, and JDRF Center for Beta Cell Therapy in Diabetes, Brussels, Belgium
PLoS ONE 4:e7266. 2009....
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha-retinoid X receptor agonists induce beta-cell protection against palmitate toxicityKarine Hellemans
Diabetes Research Center DRC, Brussels Free University VUB, Belgium
FEBS J 274:6094-105. 2007..These observations indicate that PPARalpha and RXR regulate beta-cell susceptibility to long-chain fatty acid toxicity by increasing the rates of beta-oxidation and by involving peroxisomes in fatty acid metabolism...
- Differential modulation of rat hepatic stellate phenotype by natural and synthetic retinoidsKarine Hellemans
Lab Molecular Liver Cell Biology, Free University Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Hepatology 39:97-108. 2004..Our observations may explain prior divergent results obtained following retinoid administration to cultured stellate cells or to animals subjected to fibrogenic stimuli...
- Trichostatin A, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, suppresses collagen synthesis and prevents TGF-beta(1)-induced fibrogenesis in skin fibroblastsKrista Rombouts
Laboratory for Molecular Liver Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, Free University of Brussels, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels Jette, Belgium
Exp Cell Res 278:184-97. 2002..Our study shows that inhibition of histone deacetylases by TSA reduces expression of fibrosis-related genes in skin fibroblasts and this coincides by alterations in the TGF-beta(1) signaling pathway...
- Actin filament formation, reorganization and migration are impaired in hepatic stellate cells under influence of trichostatin A, a histone deacetylase inhibitorKrista Rombouts
Laboratory for Molecular Liver Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, Free University of Brussels VUB, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
J Hepatol 37:788-96. 2002..TSA retained a more quiescent phenotype in spite of culture conditions that favor transdifferentiation into activated HSC...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-beta signaling contributes to enhanced proliferation of hepatic stellate cellsKarine Hellemans
Laboratory of Molecular Liver Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, Free University of Brussels, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussel Jette, Belgium
Gastroenterology 124:184-201. 2003..In a second part of the study, the effect of a PPAR-beta agonist on acute liver injury was evaluated...
- PPARbeta regulates vitamin A metabolism-related gene expression in hepatic stellate cells undergoing activationKarine Hellemans
Laboratory of Molecular Liver Cell Biology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
J Lipid Res 44:280-95. 2003....
- Effect of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors on proliferation and protein synthesis by rat hepatic stellate cellsKrista Rombouts
Laboratory for Molecular Liver Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, Free University of Brussels VUB, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels Jette, Belgium
J Hepatol 38:564-72. 2003..We investigated the effect of two statins on the proliferation rate and protein steady state levels of hepatic stellate cells (HSC)...
- Clusters of conserved beta cell marker genes for assessment of beta cell phenotypeGeert A Martens
Diabetes Research Center, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
PLoS ONE 6:e24134. 2011..This panel was then used to compare isolated versus laser capture microdissected beta cells, monitor adaptations of the beta cell phenotype to fasting, and retrieve possible conserved transcriptional regulators...
- Protein markers for insulin-producing beta cells with higher glucose sensitivityGeert A Martens
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University VUB, Brussels, Belgium
PLoS ONE 5:e14214. 2010..Beta cell-selective proteins were also identified through comparison with rat brain and liver tissue and with purified islet alpha cells, after geometrical normalization using 6 stably expressed reference proteins...
- Essential role of chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter-transcription factor II in insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity revealed by conditional gene knockoutPascale Bardoux
Institut Cochin, U567 INSERM, UMR8104 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Universite Rene Descartes, Department GDPM, 24 Rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques 75014 Paris, France
Diabetes 54:1357-63. 2005..Altered insulin secretion was associated with peripheral insulin resistance in whole animals. It can be concluded that COUP-TFII is a new, important regulator of glucose homeostasis and insulin sensitivity...