- Kinematics of posterior cruciate ligament-retaining and -substituting total knee arthroplasty: a prospective randomised outcome studyJ Victor
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, A Z St Lucas, St Lucaslaan 29, 8310 Brugge, Belgium
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:646-55. 2005..We concluded that, despite similar clinical outcomes, there are significant kinematic differences between cruciate-retaining and cruciate-substituting arthroplasties...
- Can medio-lateral baseplate position and load sharing induce asymptomatic local bone resorption of the proximal tibia? A finite element studyBernardo Innocenti
European Centre for Knee Research, Smith and Nephew, Leuven, Belgium
J Orthop Surg Res 4:26. 2009..abstract:..
- How precise can bony landmarks be determined on a CT scan of the knee?J Victor
AZ St Lucas, Brugge, Belgium
Knee 16:358-65. 2009..In the tibia, the best result is obtained for the tibial transverse axis...
- How isometric are the medial patellofemoral, superficial medial collateral, and lateral collateral ligaments of the knee?Jan Victor
Department of Orthopaedics, AZ St Lucas, Brugge, Belgium
Am J Sports Med 37:2028-36. 2009..Ligament isometry is a cornerstone in the description of normal knee function and thorough knowledge is mandatory for successful repair of torn ligaments...
- A common reference frame for describing rotation of the distal femur: a ct-based kinematic study using cadaversJ Victor
AZ St Lucas, Bruges, Belgium
J Bone Joint Surg Br 91:683-90. 2009..62 degrees to +11.67 degrees , sd 6.12). The orientation of both the posterior condylar line and the trochlear anteroposterior axis (p = 0.001) showed a trend towards internal rotation with valgus coronal alignment...
- In vivo kinematics after a cruciate-substituting TKAJan Victor
AZ St Lucas, St Lucaslaan, 8310 Brugge, Belgium
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:807-14. 2010..LEVEL OF EVIDENCE: Level III, therapeutic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence...
- The influence of muscle load on tibiofemoral knee kinematicsJan Victor
Department of Orthopaedics, AZ St Lucas, St Lucaslaan 29, 8310 Brugge, Belgium
J Orthop Res 28:419-28. 2010..In general, loading the knee with hamstrings and quadriceps reduces rotation and translation compared to the passive condition. Lateral hamstring action is more influential on knee kinematics than medial hamstrings action...
- Physiologic kinematics as a concept for better flexion in TKAJan Victor
Orthopaedic Department, A Z St Lucas, Brugge, Belgium
Clin Orthop Relat Res 452:53-8. 2006..The rationale for a guided motion knee arthroplasty is developed and positioned within the current state of the art knowledge on total knee arthroplasty...
- Rotational alignment of the distal femur: a literature reviewJ Victor
AZ St Lucas, St Lucaslaan, 29, 8310 Brugge, Belgium
Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 95:365-72. 2009..Given the large ranges and standard deviations of all reference axes, and the important inter- and intraobserver variability in the surgical location of the TEA, the use of a preoperative CT scan is recommended...
- Iliotibial band traction syndrome in guided motion TKA. A new clinical entity after TKALucas Luyckx
Orthopaedic Department, University Hospital UZ Pellenberg, KUL, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Orthop Belg 76:507-12. 2010..This repetitive and forced stretching of the ITB seems to induce a painful traction syndrome in some patients...
- Soft tissue balance in total knee arthroplasty: does stress relaxation occur perioperatively?Johan Bellemans
University Hospitals of the Catholic University Leuven, Belgium
Clin Orthop Relat Res 452:49-52. 2006..Maximal passive extension increased by an average of 3 degrees. This data confirms the hypothesis the knee becomes looser in the early phase after total knee arthroplasty...
- Flexion contracture in total knee arthroplastyJohan Bellemans
University Hospitals of the Catholic University Leuven, Belgium
Clin Orthop Relat Res 452:78-82. 2006..Even in the 35 flexion contractures greater than 30 degrees, additional resection of the distal femur and hamstring tenotomy was performed in only 28.6% and 22.9% of cases, respectively...
- The John Insall Award: Both morphotype and gender influence the shape of the knee in patients undergoing TKAJohan Bellemans
University Hospitals of the Catholic University, Leuven, Belgium
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:29-36. 2010..The shape of the knee is therefore not only dependent on gender, but also on the morphotype of the patient. LEVEL OF EVIDENCE: Level I, diagnostic study. See Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence...
- What should the surgeon aim for when performing computer-assisted total knee arthroplasty?Geert Van Damme
Dept of Orthopedic Surgery, A Z Sint Lucas, Sint Lucaslaan 29, B 8310 Brugge, Belgium
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:52-8. 2005
- The Chitranjan Ranawat award: is neutral mechanical alignment normal for all patients? The concept of constitutional varusJohan Bellemans
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital Pellenberg, Weligerveld 1, 3012 Pellenberg, Belgium
Clin Orthop Relat Res 470:45-53. 2012..Restoring neutral alignment in these cases may in fact be abnormal and undesirable and would likely require some degree of medial soft tissue release to achieve neutral alignment...
- Post impingement in posterior stabilised total knee arthroplastyOlivier Verborgt
St Lucas General Hospital, Bruges, Belgium
Acta Orthop Belg 70:46-50. 2004..quot;Post impingement" may lead to extensor mechanism problems and additional polyethylene wear and therefore may affect the longterm functional results of posterior stabilised total knee arthroplasty...
- Which implant do I pick? A glossary of promisesJan Victor
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, A Z St Lucas, Brugge, Belgium
Orthopedics 29:839-41. 2006
- High-flexion, motion-guided total knee arthroplasty: who benefits the most?J Victor
Department of Orthopedics AZ St Lucas, Brugge, Belgium
Orthopedics 30:77-9. 2007..We conclude that the use of a high-flexion, guided-motion TKA allows a significant functional improvement in patients with preoperative stiffness and the preservation of good flexion in patients with normal preoperative flexion...
- The influence of coronal plane deformity on mediolateral ligament status: an observational study in varus kneesJohan Bellemans
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital Pellenberg, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Weligerveld 1, 3012 Pellenberg, Belgium
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 18:152-6. 2010..Likewise, the lateral soft tissues become stretched. None of these occur when the preoperative deformity is <10 degrees...
- Midterm comparison of posterior cruciate-retaining versus -substituting total knee arthroplasty using the Genesis II prosthesis. A multicenter prospective randomized clinical trialKengo Harato
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, London Health Sciences Centre, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada
Knee 15:217-21. 2008....
- Repair of symptomatic cartilage lesions of the knee: the place of autologous chondrocyte implantationJohan Vanlauwe
University Hospital Leuven, Belgium
Acta Orthop Belg 73:145-58. 2007....