Michael P Casaer
Affiliation: University Hospitals Leuven
- Enteral nutrition: better navigation, yet unknown destination?Michael P Casaer
Crit Care 15:1015. 2011..Additionally, the optimal dosing and timing of nutrition during critical illness are still debated. When enteral nutrition is insufficient, the options are limited...
- Impact of early parenteral nutrition completing enteral nutrition in adult critically ill patients (EPaNIC trial): a study protocol and statistical analysis plan for a randomized controlled trialMichael P Casaer
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospitals Leuven, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Trials 12:21. 2011..These guidelines differ particularly in the timing of initiating parenteral nutrition (PN) in patients for whom enteral nutrition (EN) does not reach caloric targets...
- Role of disease and macronutrient dose in the randomized controlled EPaNIC trial: a post hoc analysisMichael P Casaer
Laboratory and Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 187:247-55. 2013..Early parenteral nutrition to supplement insufficient enteral feeding during intensive care (early PN) delays recovery as compared with withholding parenteral nutrition for 1 week (late PN)...
- Early versus late parenteral nutrition in critically ill adultsMichael P Casaer
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospitals of the Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
N Engl J Med 365:506-17. 2011..Controversy exists about the timing of the initiation of parenteral nutrition in critically ill adults in whom caloric targets cannot be met by enteral nutrition alone...
- Impact of early parenteral nutrition on muscle and adipose tissue compartments during critical illnessMichael P Casaer
1Department and Laboratory of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospitals Leuven, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium 2Department of Radiology, University Hospitals Leuven, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Crit Care Med 41:2298-309. 2013..However, such effect has not been proven. This study aimed to assess the effect of early administration of parenteral nutrition on muscle volume and composition by repeated quantitative CT...
- Bench-to-bedside review: metabolism and nutritionMichael P Casaer
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Leuven, Catholic University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Crit Care 12:222. 2008..We suggest a protocolized nutritional strategy delivering enteral nutrition whenever possible and providing at least the daily requirements of trace elements and vitamins...