Michael P Casaer
Affiliation: University Hospitals Leuven
- Enteral nutrition: better navigation, yet unknown destination?Michael P Casaer
Crit Care 15:1015. 2011..Additionally, the optimal dosing and timing of nutrition during critical illness are still debated. When enteral nutrition is insufficient, the options are limited...
- Impact of early parenteral nutrition completing enteral nutrition in adult critically ill patients (EPaNIC trial): a study protocol and statistical analysis plan for a randomized controlled trialMichael P Casaer
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospitals Leuven, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Trials 12:21. 2011..These guidelines differ particularly in the timing of initiating parenteral nutrition (PN) in patients for whom enteral nutrition (EN) does not reach caloric targets...
- Role of disease and macronutrient dose in the randomized controlled EPaNIC trial: a post hoc analysisMichael P Casaer
Laboratory and Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 187:247-55. 2013..Early parenteral nutrition to supplement insufficient enteral feeding during intensive care (early PN) delays recovery as compared with withholding parenteral nutrition for 1 week (late PN)...
- Early versus late parenteral nutrition in critically ill adultsMichael P Casaer
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospitals of the Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
N Engl J Med 365:506-17. 2011..Controversy exists about the timing of the initiation of parenteral nutrition in critically ill adults in whom caloric targets cannot be met by enteral nutrition alone...
- Impact of early parenteral nutrition on muscle and adipose tissue compartments during critical illnessMichael P Casaer
1Department and Laboratory of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospitals Leuven, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium 2Department of Radiology, University Hospitals Leuven, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Crit Care Med 41:2298-309. 2013..However, such effect has not been proven. This study aimed to assess the effect of early administration of parenteral nutrition on muscle volume and composition by repeated quantitative CT...
- Effect of tolerating macronutrient deficit on the development of intensive-care unit acquired weakness: a subanalysis of the EPaNIC trialGreet Hermans
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Department of General Internal Medicine, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium Laboratory of Intensive Care Medicine, Division of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Lancet Respir Med 1:621-9. 2013..The role of weakness was unclear. Our aim was to assess whether late PN and early PN differentially affect muscle weakness and autophagic quality control of myofibres...
- Bench-to-bedside review: metabolism and nutritionMichael P Casaer
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Leuven, Catholic University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Crit Care 12:222. 2008..We suggest a protocolized nutritional strategy delivering enteral nutrition whenever possible and providing at least the daily requirements of trace elements and vitamins...