Genomes and Genes
Jacques De Greve
Affiliation: Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel
- Phase II study of afatinib, an irreversible ErbB family blocker, in demographically and genotypically defined lung adenocarcinomaJacques De Greve
Medical Oncology, Oncologisch Centrum, UZ Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium Electronic address
Lung Cancer 88:63-9. 2015....
- miR-146a inhibits cell growth, cell migration and induces apoptosis in non-small cell lung cancer cellsGang Chen
Department of Pathology, First Affiliated Hospital, Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 8:e60317. 2013..6 weeks in miR-146a high patients vs. 4.8 weeks in miR-146a low patients, P<0.05). miR-146a is therefore a strong candidate prognostic biomarker in NSCLC. Thus inducing miR-146a might be a therapeutic strategy for NSCLC...
- Synergistic effect of afatinib with su11274 in non-small cell lung cancer cells resistant to gefitinib or erlotinibGang Chen
Department of Pathology, First Affiliated Hospital, Guangxi Medical University, Nanning Guangxi, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 8:e59708. 2013....
- Clinical activity of afatinib (BIBW 2992) in patients with lung adenocarcinoma with mutations in the kinase domain of HER2/neuJ de Greve
Oncologisch Centrum UZ Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Lung Cancer 76:123-7. 2012..These findings suggest that afatinib is a potential novel treatment option for this subgroup of patients, even when other EGFR and HER2 targeting treatments have failed...
- Influence of RT-qPCR primer position on EGFR interference efficacy in lung cancer cellsGang Chen
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology and Department of Medical Oncology, Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Biol Proced Online 13:1. 2011..The knockdown of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) gene with eight individual EGFR small interfering RNAs (siRNAs) was estimated by RT-qPCR using three different RT-qPCR primer sets...
- Five recurrent BRCA1/2 mutations are responsible for cancer predisposition in the majority of Slovenian breast cancer familiesMateja Krajc
Institute of Oncology Ljubljana, Zaloska 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
BMC Med Genet 9:83. 2008..A second objective was to determine the cancer phenotype of these families...
- The occurrence of germline BRCA1 and BRCA2 sequence alterations in Slovenian populationVida Stegel
Department of Molecular Diagnostics, Institute of Oncology Ljubljana, Zaloska 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
BMC Med Genet 12:9. 2011..the BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation spectrum and mutation detection rates according to different family histories were investigated in 521 subjects from 322 unrelated Slovenian cancer families with breast and/or ovarian cancer...
- [Targeted therapies in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer]Jacques De Greve
Dienst Medische Oncologie, Oncologisch Centrum, UZ Brussel VUB Laarbeeklaan 101, B 1090 Jette, Belgique
Bull Cancer 95:358-64. 2008..Specific mechanisms of resistance for these agents are gradually discovered and the new drugs being able to overcome these resistances are at the horizon...
- Hereditary breast cancer: from bench to bedsideJacques De Greve
Medical Oncology, Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Familial Cancer Clinic, UZ Brussel, Laarbeeklaan, Jette, Belgium
Curr Opin Oncol 20:605-13. 2008..A number of recent findings with regard to hereditary breast cancer should affect the criteria and scope of routine genetic testing and, soon, breast cancer therapy...
- Cetuximab with hepatic arterial infusion of chemotherapy for the treatment of colorectal cancer liver metastasesBart Neyns
Medical Oncology, UZ Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Anticancer Res 28:2459-67. 2008..Both hepatic arterial infusion (HAI) of chemotherapy and cetuximab (CET) have interesting activity for the treatment of colorectal cancer liver metastases (CRC-LM)...
- Performance of two geriatric screening tools in older patients with cancerCindy Kenis
Cindy Kenis, Koen Milisen, Johan Flamaing, and Hans Wildiers, University Hospitals Leuven Koen Milisen, Johan Flamaing, and Hans Wildiers, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven Lore Decoster, Katrien Van Puyvelde, Jacques De Grève, and Godelieve Conings, Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels and Jean Pierre Lobelle, Consultant in Statistics, Beernem, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 32:19-26. 2014....
- Cancer predisposing missense and protein truncating BARD1 mutations in non-BRCA1 or BRCA2 breast cancer familiesSylvia De Brakeleer
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Hum Mutat 31:E1175-85. 2010..In conclusion, we provide evidence for an increased breast cancer risk associated to specific BARD1 germline mutations. However, these BARD1 mutations occur in a minority of hereditary breast cancer families...
- Toxicity report of a phase 1/2 dose-escalation study in patients with inoperable, locally advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer with helical tomotherapy and concurrent chemotherapySamuel Bral
Department of Radiation Oncology, Oncology Center, Brussels University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Cancer 116:241-50. 2010....
- Correlation of EGFR, IDH1 and PTEN status with the outcome of patients with recurrent glioblastoma treated in a phase II clinical trial with the EGFR-blocking monoclonal antibody cetuximabShasha Lv
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology and Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital Brussels, Free University Brussels, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Int J Oncol 41:1029-35. 2012..Prospective investigation of both the EGFR amplification and mutation status in clinical trials with EGFR-targeted therapies for GB is indicated...
- Final overall results of a study with a novel triplet induction chemotherapy regimen (PACCAGE) followed by consolidation radiotherapy in locally advanced inoperable non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)Denis Schallier
Department of Medical Oncology, UZ Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
J Thorac Oncol 4:728-35. 2009..We report the long term and overall results of a triplet induction chemotherapy regimen followed by standard radiotherapy in patients with locally advanced inoperable stage III non-small cell lung cancer...
- Loss of nuclear BRCA1 protein staining in normal tissue cells derived from BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriersSylvia De Brakeleer
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Department of Medical Oncology, UZ Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Mutat Res 619:104-12. 2007....
- Targeting the epidermal growth factor receptor in non-small cell lung cancer cells: the effect of combining RNA interference with tyrosine kinase inhibitors or cetuximabGang Chen
Laboratory of Medical and Molecular Oncology and Department of Medical Oncology, Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090, Brussels, Belgium
BMC Med 10:28. 2012....
- Effect of siRNAs targeting the EGFR T790M mutation in a non-small cell lung cancer cell line resistant to EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors and combination with various agentsGang Chen
Laboratory of Medical and Molecular Oncology, Department of Medical Oncology, Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 431:623-9. 2013..The combination of a potent, irreversible kinase inhibitor such as afatinib, with T790M-specific-siRNAs should be further investigated as a new strategy in the treatment of lung cancer containing the resistant T790M mutation...
- Genomic activation of the EGFR and HER2-neu genes in a significant proportion of invasive epithelial ovarian cancersJoanna Vermeij
Laboratory for Molecular Oncology, Universitair Ziekenhuis, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
BMC Cancer 8:3. 2008..The status of the EGFR and HER2-neu genes has not been fully defined in ovarian cancer. An integrated analysis of both genes could help define the proportion of patients that would potentially benefit from targeted therapies...
- Deconvolution-based dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imaging of breast tumors: correlation of tumor blood flow with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 status and clinicopathologic findings--preliminary resultsSmitha Makkat
Department of Radiology, UZ Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Radiology 249:471-82. 2008..To prospectively determine whether breast carcinomas possess characteristic values of tumor blood flow (TBF) that correlate with pathologic and molecular prognostic markers...
- Quantification of epidermal growth factor receptor T790M mutant transcripts in lung cancer cells by real-time reverse transcriptase-quantitative polymerase chain reactionGang Chen
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology and Department of Medical Oncology, Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Anal Biochem 398:266-8. 2010..The RT-qPCR assay using transcript-specific primers can detect as few as 1% T790M transcripts in a wt background and, therefore, will be useful in RNA interference studies specifically targeting mutant RNA...
- De novo Alu element insertions targeted to a sequence common to the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genesErik Teugels
Laboratory of Molecular and Medical Oncology, AZ VUB, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 101, B1090 Brussels, Belgium
Hum Mutat 26:284. 2005....
- Systematic detection of pathogenic alu element insertions in NGS-based diagnostic screens: the BRCA1/BRCA2 exampleSylvia De Brakeleer
Laboratory of Molecular and Medical Oncology, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
Hum Mutat 34:785-91. 2013..1739_1740insAlu in BRCA1 and c.156_157insAlu in BRCA2...
- Identification of a novel HER3 activating mutation homologous to EGFR-L858R in lung cancerIjeoma Umelo
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology and Department of Medical Oncology, Oncologisch Centrum, UZ Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussels, Bruxelles, Belgium
Oncotarget 7:3068-83. 2016..Taken together, these findings provide a basis for the clinical exploration of targeted therapies in HER3 mutant NSCLC and by extrapolation, in other cancers that more frequently carry somatic HER3 mutations. ..
- Combined targeting of EGFR/HER promotes anti-tumor efficacy in subsets of KRAS mutant lung cancer resistant to single EGFR blockadeIjeoma Adaku Umelo
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology and Department of Medical Oncology, Oncologisch Centrum, Universitair Ziekenhuis Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Oncotarget 6:20132-44. 2015..Taken together, these findings suggest that upstream inhibition of the EGFR/HER receptors may be effective in treating a subset of KRAS mutant lung cancers...
- The oral mTOR inhibitor RAD001 (everolimus) in combination with letrozole in patients with advanced breast cancer: results of a phase I study with pharmacokineticsAhmad Awada
Medical Oncology Clinic, Institut Jules Bordet, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Cancer 44:84-91. 2008..To investigate the safety and pharmacokinetics (PK) of combined treatment with letrozole and the oral mTOR inhibitor RAD001 in patients with metastatic breast cancer stable or progressing after > or = 4 months on letrozole alone...
- Biomarker Analysis in a Phase II Study of Sunitinib in Patients with Advanced MelanomaLore Decoster
Department of Medical Oncology, Oncology Centre, University Hospital Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Anticancer Res 35:6893-9. 2015..To investigate the efficacy of sunitinib in patients with advanced melanoma and to correlate angiogenic biomarkers with response and survival...
- The relationship between vagal nerve activity and clinical outcomes in prostate and non-small cell lung cancer patientsMarijke de Couck
Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, Free University of Brussels VUB, Brussels, Belgium
Oncol Rep 30:2435-41. 2013..Together with recent experimental findings, these results propose a modulatory role of vagal nerve activity in cancer. Therefore, routine measurement of HRV in estimating prognosis in cancer may be considered. ..
- Detection of EGFR-TK domain-activating mutations in NSCLC with generic PCR-based methodsRajendra B Shahi
Department of Medical Oncology and Laboratory of Medical and Molecular Oncology, Oncologisch Centrum Department of Pathology, UZ Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 23:163-71. 2015....
- Mixed adenoneuroendocrine carcinoma of the colon: molecular pathogenesis and treatmentLeen Vanacker
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology, Department of Medical Oncology, Brussels, Belgium
Anticancer Res 34:5517-21. 2014..We suggest that a mutation in SMARCA4 could be responsible for the transformation of the adenocarcinoma component into the neuroendocrine phenotype...
- Nonadherence to imatinib treatment in patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumors: the ADAGIO studyFilomena Mazzeo
University Hospital St Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Anticancer Res 31:1407-9. 2011..To determine imatinib nonadherence rates in patients with gastrointestinal tumors (GIST) over 90 days...
- The influence of clinical assessment (including age) and geriatric assessment on treatment decisions in older patients with cancerLore Decoster
Department of Medical Oncology, Oncologisch Centrum, UZ Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium Electronic address
J Geriatr Oncol 4:235-41. 2013..The aim of this prospective study in older patients with cancer was to evaluate how clinical assessment (including age) determines the physician's treatment decisions, and how geriatric assessment (GA) further influences these decisions...
- Comparison of a gene expression profiling strategy to standard clinical work-up for determination of tumour origin in cancer of unknown primary (CUP)Felipe Ades
Medical Oncology Clinic, Institut Jules Bordet, Universite Libre de Bruxelles ULB, Brussels, Belgium
J Chemother 25:239-46. 2013..We concluded that in patients with newly diagnosed metastatic tumours, CupPrint has low accuracy in diagnosing the primary cancer site. ..
- Savene® (dexrazoxane) use in clinical practiceChristel Fontaine
Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital of Brussels, 1090, Jette, Belgium
Support Care Cancer 20:1109-12. 2012..Adverse events, mainly haematological toxicity, were rapidly reversible. The objective of the study was to assess, in clinical practice, the efficacy and safety profile of Savene® for ACEV in different Belgian hospitals...
- Hepatic arterial infusion of oxaliplatin and L-folinic acid-modulated 5-fluorouracil for colorectal cancer liver metastasesBart Neyns
Department of Medical Oncology, Oncologisch Centrum AZ VUB, Brussels, Belgium
Anticancer Res 26:611-9. 2006..Despite the progress made in the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer (CRC), the results of second-line chemotherapy remain poor...
- Phase II study of preoperative helical tomotherapy for rectal cancerMark de Ridder
Department of Radiation Oncology, Oncologisch Centrum UZ Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:728-34. 2008..To explore the efficacy and toxicity profile of helical tomotherapy in the preoperative treatment of patients with rectal cancer...
- Specific congenital malformations after exposure to cyclophosphamide, epirubicin and 5-fluorouracil during the first trimester of pregnancyMina Leyder
Service of Prenatal Medicine, UZ Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Gynecol Obstet Invest 71:141-4. 2011....
- Correlation between IDH1 gene mutation status and survival of patients treated for recurrent gliomaShasha Lv
Laboratory of Molecular Oncology and Department of Medical Oncology, Oncology Center, UZ Brussels, University Hospital Brussels, Free University Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Anticancer Res 31:4457-63. 2011..Our observations support the hypothesis that IDH1 mutation may correlate with the benefit from VEGF(R)- versus EGFR-targeted therapy at the time of recurrence in glioma patients...
- Individual cancer risk as a function of current age and risk profileM C M Goossens
Free University Brussels VUB, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Cancer Prev 19:485-95. 2010..Current smokers can now be given absolute risk reduction estimates of smoking cessation. To keep the life table risk estimates up to date, they must be repeated every couple of years, using up-to-date incidence and mortality data...
- Restoration of an impaired TGF-beta1 autocrine growth-inhibitory circuit results in growth inhibition of ovarian epithelial cancer cells and complete inhibition of their tumorigenicityZiad Zeinoun
Laboratory of Medical and Molecular Oncology, Oncologisch Centrum, AZ VUB, Laarbeeklaan 101, B 1090, Jette, Belgium
Cancer Detect Prev 27:380-8. 2003..As disruption of TGF-beta's autocrine growth circuit is thought to be an early event in the malignant transformation of several epithelial cancers, early correction of this defect might in the future lead to cancer preventive strategies...