- Multidisciplinary management of vestibular schwannomas: state of the artT Somers
Department of ENT, Sint Augustinus Hospital, Wilrijk, Antwerp, Belgium
B-ENT 8:235-40. 2012..5 cm with documented growth. This paper will review current treatment modalities and the respective pros and cons. A decisional algorithm as currently adopted by our skull base team is presented at the end of the paper...
- Ossicular reconstruction: hydroxyapatite bone cement versus incus remodelling: how to manage incudostapedial discontinuityThomas Somers
University Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Sint Augustinus Hospital, Oosterveldlaan 24, Wilrijk, 2610 Antwerp, Belgium
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 269:1095-101. 2012..This new technique is a valuable alternative to conventional ossiculoplasty and presents the practical advantage of being easier and faster...
- A Two-stage bipodal screening model for universal neonatal hearing screeningP J Govaerts
University Department of Otolaryngology, St. Augustinus Hospital, University of Antwerp, Oosterveldlaan 24, B-2610 Antwerp-Wilrijk, Belgium
Otol Neurotol 22:850-4. 2001..CONCLUSION: These figures demonstrate that universal neonatal hearing screening is feasible within the existing health care structure, with unprecedented coverage, sensitivity, and specificity...
- Jugular bulb diverticulum dehiscence towards the vestibular aqueduct in a patient with otosclerosisV Van Rompaey
University Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Skull Base Team, Sint Augustinus Hospital, Wilrijk, Antwerp, Belgium
J Laryngol Otol 126:313-5. 2012..To demonstrate the need for computed tomography imaging of the temporal bone before considering revision stapes surgery in patients with recurrent or residual conductive hearing loss...
- Hearing preservation surgery for acoustic neuromaT Somers
University Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Sint-Augustinus Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 50:227-35. 1996..In all the other cases the translabyrinthine route remains the preferred approach...
- The LAURA Pediatric Cochlear Implant Program in Antwerp: what have we learnt in 5 years?F E Offeciers
Dept of Otorhinolaryngology, M I St Augustinus Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 52:105-9. 1998..In this paper we describe the rationale for this change, as well as the prerequisites for a successful pediatric cochlear implant program...
- A second gene for otosclerosis, OTSC2, maps to chromosome 7q34-36K Van Den Bogaert
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Antwerp, Wilrijk, Belgium
Am J Hum Genet 68:495-500. 2001..54. Analysis of key recombinant individuals maps this otosclerosis locus (OTSC2) to a 16-cM interval on chromosome 7q34-36 between markers D7S495 and D7S2426...
- Prognostic significance of electrophysiological tests for facial nerve outcome in vestibular schwannoma surgeryJ J S van Dinther
University Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Antwerp Skull Base Centre, Sint Augustinus Hospital, Wilrijk, Antwerp
B-ENT 7:115-9. 2011..To assess the prognostic significance of pre-operative electrophysiological tests for facial nerve outcome in vestibular schwannoma surgery...
- Neonatal hearing screening with otoacoustic emissions: an evaluationK Daemers
E.N.T. Department, Sint-Augustinus Medical Institute (U.I.A, Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 50:203-9. 1996..The practical problems of the screening program and especially the importance of a stringent follow-up procedure in case of failure, are discussed...
- Long-term follow up after bony mastoid and epitympanic obliteration: radiological findingsJ P Vercruysse
University Department of ENT, Augustinus Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
J Laryngol Otol 124:37-43. 2010..The objective of this study was to report long-term follow-up radiological findings after performing a canal wall up bony obliteration technique procedure, in order to detect residual and/or recurrent cholesteatoma...
- Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging of the temporal boneB De Foer
Department of Radiology, GZA Hospitals Sint Augustinus, Oosterveldlaan 24, Wilrijk Antwerp, Belgium
Neuroradiology 52:785-807. 2010..The value of diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in the evaluation of pathology of the apex of the petrous bone and the cerebellopontine angle is also discussed...
- Total auricular repair: bone anchored prosthesis or plastic reconstruction?T Somers
Dept of ENT, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Antwerp UIA, Medical Institute Sint Augustinus, Wilrijk, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 52:317-27. 1998..With increasing experience the results of the total auricular reconstructions improved significantly and became more predictable. Also the advantages and disadvantages of both (the reconstructive and prosthetic) approaches are discussed...
- Giant congenital intracranial epidermoid tumor: a case reportT Somers
University ENT-Department, Sint-Augustinus Hospital, Antwerp University, Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 55:77-81. 2001..All cranial nerve functions were preserved and the 6 month postoperative imaging has remained unchanged over a 2-year long follow-up period. The literature regarding this rare pathology is also reviewed...
- Transient depression of inner ear function after stapedotomy: skeeter versus CO(2) laser techniqueT Somers
University ENT Department, Sint Augustinus Hospital, Wilrijk, Belgium
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:267-72. 2007..Evolution of the bone conduction was compared for the two studied subgroups (laser versus skeeter)...