Etienne M Sokal
- End-stage liver disease and liver transplant: current situation and key issuesE M Sokal
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques St Luc, Brussels, Belgium
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 47:239-46. 2008
- Hepatitis C in children and adolescents: mode of acquisition, natural history and treatmentXavier Stephenne
Cliniques St Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 10 av Hippocrate, B 1200 Bruxelles, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 65:95-8. 2002..Combination treatment using Ribavirin plus interferon, or Ribavirin + pegylated interferon yield a higher success in eradicating viral infection in adults. These treatments can be considered for children in selected cases...
- Treating inborn errors of liver metabolism with stem cells: current clinical developmentEtienne Marc Sokal
Pediatric Hepatology and Gastroenterology and Cell Transplant Center, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, 10 av Hippocrate, 1200, Brussels, Belgium
J Inherit Metab Dis 37:535-9. 2014....
- Mitochondrial uncouplers inhibit hepatic stellate cell activationEduardo L Guimarães
Department of Cell Biology, Liver Cell Biology Lab, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, Brussels 1090, Belgium
BMC Gastroenterol 12:68. 2012..In this study we investigated the role of mitochondrial activity through mild uncoupling during in vitro activation of HSCs...
- From hepatocytes to stem and progenitor cells for liver regenerative medicine: advances and clinical perspectivesE M Sokal
Pediatric Liver Unit, Laboratory of Hepatology and Cell Therapy, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherche Expérimentale et clinique Brussels, Belgium
Cell Prolif 44:39-43. 2011..In this respect, liver derived progenitor cells may have some advantages over stem cells derived from other tissues...
- Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infection in children and adolescentsEtienne M Sokal
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, Bruxelles, Belgium
J Hepatol 52:827-31. 2010....
- Hepatocyte cryopreservation: is it time to change the strategy?Xavier Stephenne
World J Gastroenterol 16:1-14. 2010..Such strategies, such as vitrification, will be discussed with respect to their potential to significantly improve the quality of cell suspensions dedicated to liver cell-based therapies...
- The pharmacokinetics and safety of adefovir dipivoxil in children and adolescents with chronic hepatitis B virus infectionEtienne M Sokal
Pediatric Research Institute, Departement de Pediatrie, Université Catholique de Louvain and Cliniques St Luc, 10 av Hippocrate, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Pharmacol 48:512-7. 2008..There was 1 serious adverse event reported that was not related to study medication. No patient discontinued the study prematurely due to an adverse event related to the study drug...
- Liver cell transplantation for Crigler-Najjar syndrome type I: update and perspectivesPhilippe A Lysy
Pediatric Hepatology and Cell Therapy, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques Saint Luc, 10 av Hippocrate, Brussels B 1200, Belgium
World J Gastroenterol 14:3464-70. 2008..We discuss the future developments of the technique and new emerging perspectives...
- Safety of living-related liver transplantation for progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasisLuisa Cutillo
Pediatric Liver Transplant Program, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Faculty of Medicine and Cliniques Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Pediatr Transplant 10:570-4. 2006..We conclude that PFIC heterozygote status of the donor does not increase the risk of liver dysfunction in either recipients or donors, with a similar course compared with BA recipients and donors...
- Liver allograft radiotherapy to treat rejection in children: efficacy in orthotopic liver transplantation and long-term safetyXavier Stephenne
Departement de Pediatrie, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques St Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Liver Int 25:1108-13. 2005..Long-term safety data were collected with the prospect of possible use of RT in liver cell transplantation (LCT)...
- Hepatocyte transplantation in a 4-year-old girl with peroxisomal biogenesis disease: technique, safety, and metabolic follow-upEtienne M Sokal
Cliniques St Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Transplantation 76:735-8. 2003..Hepatocyte transplantation is a safe and promising technique in the treatment of rare inborn errors of metabolism. Future improvements of cell viability and prevention of apoptosis may increase engraftment and subsequent re-population...
- Leukemia inhibitory factor contributes to hepatocyte-like differentiation of human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cellsPhilippe A Lysy
HPED Department, PEDI Unit, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Differentiation 76:1057-67. 2008..In conclusion, we demonstrated that LIF can play a similar role as OSM in the hepatocyte differentiation process of human MSCs...
- Human skin fibroblasts: From mesodermal to hepatocyte-like differentiationPhilippe A Lysy
Université Catholique de Louvain et Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, HPED Department, PEDI Unit, Laboratory of Pediatric Hepatology and Cell Therapy, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Hepatology 46:1574-85. 2007....
- Tissue factor-dependent procoagulant activity of isolated human hepatocytes: relevance to liver cell transplantationXavier Stephenne
Laboratory of Paediatric Hepatology and Cell Therapy, Unité Pé diatrie PEDI, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Liver Transpl 13:599-606. 2007..In conclusion, hepatocytes exert TF-dependent PCA, which may contribute to early loss of infused cells. Addition of N-acetyl-L-cysteine to the suspensions of hepatocytes might be beneficial in LCT by inhibiting activation of coagulation...
- Assessment of risk of bleeding from esophageal varices during management of biliary atresia in childrenCatherine Wanty
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Service de Gastroentérologie et Hépatologie Pédiatrique, Bruxelles, Belgium
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 56:537-43. 2013..Our study was aimed at assessing the risk of bleeding from EV in a series of patients with BA, identifying risk factors for bleeding to develop a predictive model of bleeding...
- Recovery of graft steatosis and protein-losing enteropathy after biliary diversion in a PFIC 1 liver transplanted childEmanuele Nicastro
Departement de Pediatrie, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Pediatr Transplant 16:E177-82. 2012..EBD can be considered a valuable treatment option to avoid organ disfunction and loss in PFIC 1 transplanted patients who develop graft steatohepatitis...
- Two-step transplantation for primary hyperoxaluria: cadaveric liver followed by living donor related kidney transplantationIvone Malla
Departement de Pediatrie, Hépatologie et transplantation hépatique pédiatrique, Université catholique de Louvain and Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Pediatr Transplant 13:782-4. 2009..This strategy seems to be a reasonable approach in order to avoid acute renal tubular injury because of oxalate excretion in these patients...
- Sustained engraftment and tissue enzyme activity after liver cell transplantation for argininosuccinate lyase deficiencyXavier Stephenne
Laboratoire d hépatologie Pédiatrique et Transplantation Cellulaire, Département GYPE, Service de Pediatrie, Université Catholique de Louvain and Cliniques St Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Gastroenterology 130:1317-23. 2006..Donor cell engraftment with expression of enzyme activity is the goal of liver cell transplantation for inborn errors of liver metabolism with a view to achieving sustained metabolic control...
- Lymphoproliferation in children after liver transplantationFrancoise Smets
Pediatrics Department, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 34:499-505. 2002
- Epithelial cells with hepatobiliary phenotype: is it another stem cell candidate for healthy adult human liver?Dung Ngoc Khuu
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Laboratory of Pediatric Hepatology and Cell Therapy, Brussels, Belgium
World J Gastroenterol 13:1554-60. 2007..To investigate the presence and role of liver epithelial cells in the healthy human adult liver...
- Cryopreservation of human hepatocytes alters the mitochondrial respiratory chain complex 1Xavier Stephenne
Laboratory of Paediatric Hepatology and Cell Therapy, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques St Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Cell Transplant 16:409-19. 2007..They also suggest that, in addition to technical progress in the cryopreservation procedure, protection of the respiratory chain complex 1 should be considered to improve the quality of cryopreserved hepatocytes...
- Biodistribution of adult derived human liver stem cells following intraportal infusion in a 17-year-old patient with glycogenosis type 1AFlorence Defresne
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherche Expérimentale et Clinique, Paediatric Hepatology and Cell Therapy, Avenue Hippocrate 10, 1200 Brussels, Belgium Electronic address
Nucl Med Biol 41:371-5. 2014..These cells present high proliferative capacity, good resistance to cryopreservation and ability to differentiate into hepatocyte-like cells displaying mature hepatocyte functions...
- Cryopreserved liver cell transplantation controls ornithine transcarbamylase deficient patient while awaiting liver transplantationXavier Stephenne
Pediatric Research Laboratory and Pediatric Liver Unit, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques St Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Am J Transplant 5:2058-61. 2005..We conclude that use of cryopreserved cells allowed short- to medium-term metabolic control and urea synthesis in this male OTC-deficient patient while waiting for OLT...
- Long-term survival and late graft loss in pediatric liver transplant recipients--a 15-year single-center experienceMichael A Wallot
Department of Pediatric Transplantation, Saint Luc Clinic, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Liver Transpl 8:615-22. 2002..Technical complications are only a minor factor in late graft loss, but complications related to immunosuppression and infection remain a major hazard and must be addressed...
- Differentiated umbilical cord matrix stem cells as a new in vitro model to study early events during hepatitis B virus infectionMassimiliano Paganelli
Pediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology Unit, Université catholique de Louvain and Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Hepatology 57:59-69. 2013....
- Ratio between Epstein-Barr viral load and anti-Epstein-Barr virus specific T-cell response as a predictive marker of posttransplant lymphoproliferative diseaseFrancoise Smets
Pediatrics Department, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Transplantation 73:1603-10. 2002..However, EBV load is so far the only marker proposed to evaluate PTLD risk, and no study has investigated the role of specific anti-EBV T lymphocytes (EBV-TL)...
- Partial proximal 10q trisomy: a new case associated with biliary atresiaPhilippe A Lysy
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Unit, HPED Department, Université Catholique de Louvain and Cliniques Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Hereditas 144:191-4. 2007..A review of the literature confirmed that the patient displayed characteristic dysmorphic features of the recently defined partial proximal trisomy 10q syndrome and emphasized the interindividual variability of visceral malformations...
- Long-term lamivudine therapy for children with HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis BEtienne M Sokal
Departement de Pediatrie, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Hepatology 43:225-32. 2006..However, the incidence of YMMD mutations increased over time and resulted in lower response rates. VR was maintained in most patients who had initially responded to lamivudine in the first 12 months...
- Recombinant gp350 vaccine for infectious mononucleosis: a phase 2, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to evaluate the safety, immunogenicity, and efficacy of an Epstein-Barr virus vaccine in healthy young adultsEtienne M Sokal
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, Avenue Hippocrate 10 1301, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Infect Dis 196:1749-53. 2007..To date, there is no commercially available vaccine to prevent infectious mononucleosis, a disease frequently induced by Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection in adolescents or adults devoid of preexisting immunity to the virus...
- Prevention and treatment for Epstein-Barr virus infection and related cancersFrancoise Smets
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, Avenue Hippocrate 10 1301, 1200, Brussels, Belgium
Recent Results Cancer Res 193:173-90. 2014..Possible prevention by EBV vaccination would be a more global approach of this public health problem, but further active research is needed before this goal could be reached...
- Pediatric liver transplantation for biliary atresia: results of primary grafts in 328 recipientsH Vo Thi Diem
Pediatric Liver Transplant Program, Saint Luc University Clinics, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Transplantation 75:1692-7. 2003....
- Liver transplantation in mitochondrial respiratory chain disordersE M Sokal
Department of Paediatric Hepatology, Cliniques St Luc, Université Catholique de Louvain 10 1301 avenue Hippocrate, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Pediatr 158:S81-4. 1999..All three patients with initial liver and gastro-intestinal disease died early after transplantation, indicating that these may be poor candidates for this procedure...
- Characteristics of Epstein-Barr virus primary infection in pediatric liver transplant recipientsF Smets
Department of Pediatrics, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
J Hepatol 32:100-4. 2000..The aim of this study was to monitor the clinical and biochemical events associated with primary Epstein-Barr virus infection...
- Epstein-Barr virus-related lymphoproliferation in children after liver transplant: role of immunity, diagnosis, and managementF Smets
Pediatrics Department, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Pediatr Transplant 6:280-7. 2002..The level of immunity is correlated to the viral load and improves during recovery from PTLD. These recent findings add further knowledge to PTLD pathogenesis and management...
- Early signs and risk factors for the increased incidence of Epstein-Barr virus-related posttransplant lymphoproliferative diseases in pediatric liver transplant recipients treated with tacrolimusE M Sokal
Liver Transplant Program, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Transplantation 64:1438-42. 1997..It has been suggested that tacrolimus, a new and potent immunosuppressor, causes an increased incidence of this syndrome...
- Introduction: liver and liver cell transplantation for inborn errors of liver metabolismE M Sokal
Université Catholique de Louvain and Cliniques St Luc, Brussels
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 68:451-2. 2005
- Fifteen years single center experience in the management of progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis of infancyC Wanty
Hepatology Unit, Pediatric Department, UCL St Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 67:313-9. 2004..Transplantation is indicated whenever medical treatment fails to restore normal social life, growth and well being of the child and it is associated with excellent survival (> 90%)...
- Liver and intestinal transplantation in children: Working Group Report of the First World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and NutritionEtienne M Sokal
European Society for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 35:S159-72. 2002
- Clinical trial of lamivudine in children with chronic hepatitis BMaureen M Jonas
of Gastroenterology, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1706-13. 2002..Lamivudine therapy is effective for chronic hepatitis B infection in adults. We evaluated the efficacy and tolerability of lamivudine as a treatment for chronic infection with hepatitis B virus (HBV) in children...
- An investigation of the steady-state pharmacokinetics of oral valacyclovir in immunocompromised childrenDavid Nadal
Division of Infectious Diseases, University Children s Hospital of Zurich, CH 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
J Infect Dis 186:S123-30. 2002..In general, adverse events were not attributable to valacyclovir and were consistent with disease-related expectations and concomitant therapies. Dosage options for using valacyclovir in children are discussed...
- Stem cells for liver tissue repair: current knowledge and perspectivesPhilippe A Lysy
Université catholique de Louvain and Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, HPED Department, Unit PEDI, Laboratory of Pediatric Hepatology and Cell Therapy, Bussels 1200, Belgium
World J Gastroenterol 14:864-75. 2008..We finally address the question of the future clinical applications of stem cells for liver tissue repair and the technical aspects that remain to be investigated...
- Repeated detection of gas in the portal vein after liver transplantation: A sign of EBV-associated post-transplant lymphoproliferation?Michael A Wallot
Department of Pediatrics, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Pediatr Transplant 6:332-6. 2002..We suggest that the detection of portal vein gas in pediatric liver transplant recipients beyond the early post-operative period may be a sign of intra-abdominal post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease...