- Familial Kufs' disease presenting as a progressive myoclonic epilepsyB Sadzot
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Centre CHU, Liege Sart Tilman, Belgium
J Neurol 247:447-54. 2000..An extensive review of the published cases underlines the rarity of this condition, particularly when onset is early...
- [Statins for the brain?]B Sadzot
Rev Med Liege 58:621-7. 2003..It remains unknown if a statin is superior to others for the secondary prevention of stroke...
- [A neuropsychological and functional brain imaging study of visuo-imitative apraxia]P Peigneux
Centre de Recherches du Cyclotron, Universit e de Liège, Belgique
Rev Neurol (Paris) 156:459-72. 2000....
- [Which indications for statins besides their cholesterol-lowering effect?]A J Scheen
Service de Diabetologie, Nutrition et Maladies Metaboliques, Departement de Medecine, CHU Sart Tilman, 4000 Liege I, Belgique
Rev Med Suisse 1:1954, 1956-9. 2005..New prospective studies are mandatory before accepting such new potential indications of statins...
- [Controversies in the secondary prevention of stroke]G Hans
Service de Neurologie, CHU Liege
Rev Med Liege 58:287-92. 2003..Therefore each patient suspect of a first ischemic cerebral event should be evaluated for the presence of a specific cause which could be treated. If such a cause is not found, platelet antiaggregant medications should be started...
- Prophylaxis of the epilepsies: should anti-epileptic drugs be used for preventing seizures after acute brain injury?T Grisar
Université de Liège Faculté de Médecine, CHU Liège Service de Neurologie, Secteur d exploration des épilepsies, CNCM, Belgium
Acta Neurol Belg 105:5-13. 2005..Some therapeutic goals can be achieved under the former circumstances whereas in the latter situation we all agree for the absence of any coherent antiepileptic prophylactic behaviour...
- Opinion of Belgian neurologists on antiepileptic drugs: Belgian Study on Epilepsy Treatment (BESET)B Legros
Department of Neurology, Hopital Erasme, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
Acta Neurol Scand 115:97-103. 2007..To describe the choice of treatment in adult patients with epilepsy in Belgium, to detect the presence or absence of consensus among neurologists in epilepsy treatment, and to analyze the gaps between current guidelines and prescriptions...
- Opinion of Belgian neurologists on antiepileptic drug treatment in 2006: Belgian study on epilepsy treatment (BESET-2)B Legros
Department of Neurology, ULB Hopital Erasme, Reference Center for the Treatment of Refractory Epilepsy, 808, Route de Lennik, 1070 Bruxelles, Belgium
Acta Neurol Scand 120:402-10. 2009..i) To describe the medical treatment of epilepsy in Belgium in 2006, (ii) to detect the presence or absence of consensus in epilepsy treatment and (iii) to analyze the evolution of the neurologists' opinion between 2003 and 2006...
- [Cerebral functions in brain-damaged patients. What is meant by coma, vegetative state, minimally conscious state, locked-in syndrome and brain death?]M E Faymonville
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, CHU Sart Tilman, University of Liege, Belgium
Anaesthesist 53:1195-202. 2004..Finally, we discuss the functional neuroanatomy of these conditions as assessed by positron emission tomography (PET) scanning...
- [Statin for the brain: update in 2008]A J Scheen
Service de Diabetologie, Nutrition et Maladies métaboliques et Unité de Pharmacologie clinique, CHU Sart Tilman, Liege, Belgique
Rev Med Liege 63:287-92. 2008..Several ongoing trials should confirm or not confirm this new potential indication of statins in a near future...
- [Therapeutic armamentarium in neurology: the birth of a new era]S Belachew
Service de Neurologie, ULg, CHU Sart Tilman, Liege, Belgique
Rev Med Liege 62:432-48. 2007....
- [How I treat ... refractory epilepsy by vagal nerve stimulation]B Sadzot
, Service de Neurologie,
Rev Med Liege 56:407-10. 2001..Side effects which are generally mild to moderate are the result of a diffusion of the stimulation to the larynx. No CNS side effect has been reported...
- Guidelines for the management of epilepsy in the elderlyM Ossemann
Service de Neurologie, Cliniques Universitaires UCL de Mont Godinne, Yvoir, Belgium
Acta Neurol Belg 106:111-6. 2006....
- Efficacy and safety of levetiracetam in clinical practice: results of the SKATE trial from Belgium and The NetherlandsD A J E Lambrechts
Epilepsy Centre Kempenhaeghe, Sterkselseweg 65, 5591 VE Heeze, The Netherlands
Seizure 15:434-42. 2006..Aim of the study was to assess the efficacy and safety of levetiracetam as add-on treatment in patients with partial-onset epilepsy in clinical practice...
- Levetiracetam in a broad population of patients with refractory epilepsy: interim results of the international SKATE trialP Genton
Hôpital Henri Gastaut Centre Saint Paul, Marseille, France
Acta Neurol Scand 113:387-94. 2006..To prospectively assess the safety and efficacy of levetiracetam in patients with uncontrolled focal epilepsy, in a common practice-based setting...
- Therapeutic strategies in the choice of antiepileptic drugsV de Borchgrave
Groupe de travail des Centres Francophones de Référence de l Epilepsie Réfractaire
Acta Neurol Belg 102:6-10. 2002..At the present time, we also must consider the criteria of reimbursement of these drugs. In this paper, we try to describe common and practical strategies to start a treatment of newly diagnosed epilepsy...
- [Clinical case of the month. Rendu-Osler-Weber disease: a rare case of stroke in the young]P Leclercq
Service de Rhumatologie, CHU Sart Tilman, Liege
Rev Med Liege 60:641-6. 2005..This affection should be considered as a potential cause of cerebral ischemic attack, particularly in young patients without risk factors...
- Therapeutic issues in women with epilepsyB Legros
Hôpital Erasme Service de neurologie, 808, Route de Lennik, B 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Acta Neurol Belg 103:135-9. 2003..The aim of this paper is to discuss therapeutic issues for the management of women with epilepsy: initiation of antiepileptic therapy, contraception, pregnancy, breast feeding and menopause. Some fertility issues are also discussed...
- Guidelines for recognition and treatment of the psychoses associated with epilepsyP Tugendhaft
Hôpital Erasme Neurologie, Bruxelles, Begium
Acta Neurol Belg 105:14-7. 2005....