- D-hormone analog alfacalcidol: an update on its role in post-menopausal osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis managementFlorent Richy
Public Health, Epidemiology and Health Economics Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Liege, Sart Tilman, Belgium
Aging Clin Exp Res 17:133-42. 2005..The main results of this review show that alfacalcidol may have a wider range of therapeutic applicability, beyond simply restricting it to patients in hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis with high serum levels of intact PTH...
- Vitamin D analogs versus native vitamin D in preventing bone loss and osteoporosis-related fractures: a comparative meta-analysisF Richy
Department of Public Health, Epidemiology and Health Economics, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Calcif Tissue Int 76:176-86. 2005..In this setting, D analogs seem to prevent spinal fractures to a greater extent than do native vitamin D, but this assumption should be confirmed on a comprehensive basis in multiarm studies including an inactive comparator...
- Development and validation of the ORACLE score to predict risk of osteoporosisFlorent Richy
Department of Public Health, Epidemiology and Health Economics, Universite de Liege, Liege, Belgium
Mayo Clin Proc 79:1402-8. 2004..To develop and validate a composite index, the Osteoporosis Risk Assessment by Composite Linear Estimate (ORACLE), that includes risk factors and ultrasonometric outcomes to screen for osteoporosis...
- Primary prevention of osteoporosis: mass screening scenario or prescreening with questionnaires? An economic perspectiveFlorent Richy
University of Liege, Faculty of Science, Department of Public Health, Epidemiology and Health Economics, CHU B23 Sart Tilman B 4000, Belgium
J Bone Miner Res 19:1955-60. 2004..Our results show that certain prescreening strategies are more efficient than DXA-based approaches. These results are of considerable value for health policy decision-makers and the scientific community...
- Time dependent risk of gastrointestinal complications induced by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug use: a consensus statement using a meta-analytic approachF Richy
Santé Publique, épidémiologie et économie de la santé, CHU, Bat B23, B 4000 Sart Tilman, Belgium, Europe
Ann Rheum Dis 63:759-66. 2004..To provide an updated document assessing the global, NSAID-specific, and time dependent risk of gastrointestinal (GI) complications through meta-analyses of high quality studies...
- Efficacy of alphacalcidol and calcitriol in primary and corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis: a meta-analysis of their effects on bone mineral density and fracture rateFlorent Richy
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Liege, Epidemiology and Health Economics, WHO Collaborating Center for Public Health Aspects of Osteoarticular Disorders, Liege, Belgium
Osteoporos Int 15:301-10. 2004..Their efficacy in reducing the number of fractures in patients exposed to CS remains to be determined...
- Validation and comparative evaluation of the osteoporosis self-assessment tool (OST) in a Caucasian population from BelgiumF Richy
University of Liege, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Public Health, Public Health and Epidemiology Unit, WHO Collaborating Center for Public Aspects of Osteoarticular Disorders, Belgium
QJM 97:39-46. 2004..Risk indices have been developed to identify women at risk of low bone mineral density (BMD) who should undergo BMD testing. Aim: To compare the performance of four risk indices in White ambulatory women in Belgium...
- Flurbiprofen in the symptomatic management of rheumatoid arthritis: a valuable alternativeF Richy
Department of Public Health, Epidemiology and Health Economics, University of Liege, and WHO Collaborating Center on Public Health Aspects of Osteoarticular Disorders, Liege, Belgium
Int J Clin Pract 61:1396-406. 2007..The aim of this comprehensive meta-analysis was to evaluate the absolute and relative efficacy and safety of flurbiprofen in the management of rheumatoid arthritis...
- Differential effects of D-hormone analogs and native vitamin D on the risk of falls: a comparative meta-analysisFlorent Richy
Department of Public Health, Epidemiology, and Health Economics, University of Liege, CHU B23 Liege, Belgium
Calcif Tissue Int 82:102-7. 2008..Long-term, prospective, head-to-head, confirmatory trials are required to address the exact role of vitamin D and D-hormone analogs in the prevention of falls and fractures...
- Inhaled corticosteroids effects on bone in asthmatic and COPD patients: a quantitative systematic reviewFlorent Richy
WHO Collaborating Center for Public Health Aspects of Osteoarticular Disorders, Liege, Belgium
Osteoporos Int 14:179-90. 2003..These findings could have practical implication in the long-term management of asthmatic and COPD patients...
- Importance of alfacalcidol in clinical conditions characterized by high rate of bone lossJean Yves Reginster
Bone and Cartilage Metabolism Research Unit, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
J Rheumatol Suppl 76:21-5. 2005..Compared to plain vitamin D, alfacalcidol exerts higher bone-protective effects, thus allowing the doses to be minimized and lowering the risk of adverse effects, including hypercalcemia...
- Controlled whole body vibration to decrease fall risk and improve health-related quality of life of nursing home residentsOlivier Bruyere
WHO Collaborating Center for Public Health Aspects of Osteoarticular Disorders, Liege, Belgium
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:303-7. 2005..To investigate the effects of whole body vibration in the elderly...
- Health-related quality of life in total hip and total knee arthroplasty. A qualitative and systematic review of the literatureOlivier Ethgen
WHO Collaborating Center for Public Health Aspects of Osteoarticular Diseases, Department of Public Health, Epidemiology, and Health Economics, University of Liege, Belgium, Liege, Belgium
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:963-74. 2004..The objective of this study was to review the literature regarding the outcomes of total hip and knee arthroplasties as evaluated by health-related quality-of-life instruments...
- Development and validation of a Markov microsimulation model for the economic evaluation of treatments in osteoporosisMickael Hiligsmann
Department of Economics, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Value Health 12:687-96. 2009..In this article, we describe and validate an original Markov microsimulation model to accurately assess the cost-effectiveness of prevention and treatment of osteoporosis...
- Osteoporosis prevalence in men varies by the normative referenceFlorent Richy
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Public Health, Epidemiology and Health Economics, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
J Clin Densitom 7:127-33. 2004..5%) based on Hologic female norms and highest (35.8%) based on local female norms. Interpretation of prevalence data should include an assessment of how normative standards influence reporting of the population at high risk of fracture...
- Utility values associated with osteoporotic fracture: a systematic review of the literatureMickael Hiligsmann
Department of Epidemiology, Public Health, and Health Economics, University of Liege, Avenue de l Hopital, Bat B23, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Calcif Tissue Int 82:288-92. 2008..Although we tried to determine the best available values, these values do not preclude the need for country-specific studies. Finally, we also make recommendations regarding the design and methodology for such studies...
- Interest of biochemical markers of bone turnover for long-term prediction of new vertebral fracture in postmenopausal osteoporotic womenOlivier Bruyere
WHO Collaborating Center for Public Health Aspect of Osteoarticular Disorders, Liege, Belgium
Maturitas 44:259-65. 2003....
- Structural and symptomatic efficacy of glucosamine and chondroitin in knee osteoarthritis: a comprehensive meta-analysisFlorent Richy
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Public Health, Public Health and Epidemiology, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Arch Intern Med 163:1514-22. 2003....
- [Value of bone densitometry for the diagnosis and monitoring of osteoporotic patients: integration with biological and clinical risk factors]F Richy
Service de Sante Publique, d Epidémiologie et d Economie de la Santé, Universite de Liege, Belgique
Rev Med Liege 61:291-300. 2006..The rationale of this article is to provide the general practitioner with a factual update on the diagnostic and prognostic use of bone densitometry...
- Longitudinal study of magnetic resonance imaging and standard X-rays to assess disease progression in osteoarthritisO Bruyere
WHO Collaborating Center for Public Health Aspects of Osteoarticular Disorders, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 15:98-103. 2007..To investigate, over 1-year, the relationship between X-ray and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) findings in patients with knee osteoarthritis (OA)...
- [Glucosamine as a pain-modifying drug in osteorthritis. What's new in 2006]J Y Reginster
Service de Sante Publique, épidémiologie et économie de la santé
Rev Med Liege 61:169-72. 2006..Their results are supported by new pharmacokinetic and preclinical studies, explaining the mode of action of glucosamine in osteoarthritis...
- Determinants of gastro-protective drugs co-prescription during treatment with nonselective NSAIDs: a prospective survey of 2197 patients recruited in primary careV Rabenda
Department of Epidemiology, Public Health and Health Economics, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 14:625-30. 2006....
- Three year joint space narrowing predicts long term incidence of knee surgery in patients with osteoarthritis: an eight year prospective follow up studyO Bruyere
Department of Public Health, Epidemiology and Health Economics, University of Liege, Bat B23, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1727-30. 2005..To assess the clinical relevance of mean and minimum femorotibial joint space narrowing (JSN) for predicting future osteoarthritis related surgery in patients with knee osteoarthritis...
- Efficacy and safety of piroxicam revisited. A global meta-analysis of randomised clinical trialsFlorent Richy
Public Health, Epidemiology and Health Economics Unit, University of Liege, Faculty of Medicine, Belgium
Pharmacol Res 60:254-63. 2009..To better understand the efficacy and safety profile of piroxicam, a widely used NSAID, a meta-analysis of comparative RCTs was carried out according to the QUOROM guidance...
- [Prevention of frailty in the elderly: a demographic challenge]O Ethgen
Service d épidémiologie, Santé Publique et d Economie de la Santé, Universite de Liege, l Organisation Mondiale de la Santé pour les Aspects de Santé Publique des Affections Rhumatismales, Liege
Rev Med Liege 58:175-82. 2003..This article reviews quantitative data on ageing to appraise its extent and implication, the goal being to extend and stimulate the debate on ageing. International data are first presented, then analysis moves to Belgium estimates...
- Performance of osteoporosis risk assessment tools in postmenopausal women aged 45-64 yearsMargaret L Gourlay
Department of Family Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Osteoporos Int 16:921-7. 2005..Of the three tools evaluated, the OST is the simplest and has the best potential for use in clinical practice...
- Strategies for the prevention of hip fractureMargaret Gourlay
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Department of Family Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599 7105, USA
Am J Med 115:309-17. 2003..Existing guidelines are summarized, and dilemmas regarding their implementation are discussed...