- Atypical subunit composition of the chlorophycean mitochondrial F1FO-ATP synthase and role of Asa7 protein in stability and oligomycin resistance of the enzymeMarie Lapaille
Genetics of Microorganisms, Department of Life Sciences, Universite de Liege, Belgium
Mol Biol Evol 27:1630-44. 2010..In these respects, we discuss an evolutionary scenario for F(1)F(O)-ATP synthase in the whole green lineage (i.e., Chlorophyta and Streptophyta)...
- Eukaryotic complex I: functional diversity and experimental systems to unravel the assembly processClaire Remacle
Genetics of Microorganisms Laboratory, Department of Life Sciences, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Mol Genet Genomics 280:93-110. 2008..Moreover, mitochondrial transformation, a recent technological advance, is now available, allowing the manipulation of all five complex I mitochondrial genes in this organism...
- High-efficiency biolistic transformation of Chlamydomonas mitochondria can be used to insert mutations in complex I genesClaire Remacle
Génétique des Microorganismes, Departement des Sciences de la Vie, Institut de Botanique B22, Universite de Liege, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:4771-6. 2006....
- Knock-down of the COX3 and COX17 gene expression of cytochrome c oxidase in the unicellular green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiClaire Remacle
Department of Life Sciences, Institute of Botany, B22 University of Liege, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Plant Mol Biol 74:223-33. 2010..Concerning Cox3, its role in Chlamydomonas complex IV is similar to that of other eukaryotes although this subunit is encoded in the nuclear genome in the alga contrary to the situation found in all other organisms...
- Impact of a mutation in the mitochondrial LSU rRNA gene from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii on the activity and the assembly of respiratory-chain complexesC Remacle
Department of Life Sciences, Institute of Botany B22, University of Liege, Sart Tilman, 4000, Liege, Belgium
Curr Genet 45:323-30. 2004..We moreover showed that m did not suppress other frameshift or UGA stop mutations which affect mitochondrial genes...
- Mutations inactivating mitochondrial genes in Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiC Remacle
Genetics of Microorganisms, Department of Plant Biology B22, University of Liege, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Biochem Soc Trans 29:442-6. 2001..Assembly of complex I in several mutant strains and mapping of mitochondrial mutations by recombinational analysis are also described...
- Structure of the telomeric ends of mt DNA, transcriptional analysis and complex I assembly in the dum24 mitochondrial mutant of Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiF Duby
Department of Plant Biology, University of Liege, Belgium
Mol Genet Genomics 266:109-14. 2001....
- Function of the chloroplastic NAD(P)H dehydrogenase Nda2 for H₂ photoproduction in sulphur-deprived Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiEmmanuel Mignolet
Laboratory of Bioenergetics, Institute of Plant Biology B22, University of Liege, Belgium
J Biotechnol 162:81-8. 2012..Nda2 is therefore important for linking H₂ photoproduction with catabolism of storage carbon compounds, and seems also involved in regulating the redox poise of the photosynthetic electron transport chain during H₂ photoproduction...
- Proteomic and functional characterization of a Chlamydomonas reinhardtii mutant lacking the mitochondrial alternative oxidase 1Gregory Mathy
Laboratory of Bioenergetics and Cellular Physiology, University of Liege, Belgium
J Proteome Res 9:2825-38. 2010....
- ND3 and ND4L subunits of mitochondrial complex I, both nucleus encoded in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii, are required for activity and assembly of the enzymePierre Cardol
Biochemistry and Photobiology Laboratory, Department of Life Sciences, Universite de Liege, B 4000, Liege, Belgium
Eukaryot Cell 5:1460-7. 2006..The putative role of hydrophobic ND subunits is discussed in relation to the structure of the complex I enzyme. A model for the assembly pathway of the Chlamydomonas enzyme is proposed...
- Reconstruction of a human mitochondrial complex I mutation in the unicellular green alga ChlamydomonasVéronique Larosa
Genetics of Microorganisms, Department of Life Sciences, Institute of Botany, University of Liege, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Plant J 70:759-68. 2012..The in vitro defects correlate with a decrease in dark respiration and growth rate in vivo...
- Co-evolution of mitochondrial tRNA import and codon usage determines translational efficiency in the green alga ChlamydomonasThalia Salinas
Génétique des Microorganismes, Department of Life Sciences, Institute of Botany, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
PLoS Genet 8:e1002946. 2012..It rather suggests that the steady-state levels of imported tRNAs in mitochondria result from a co-evolutive adaptation between the tRNA import mechanism and the requirements of the mitochondrial translation machinery...
- Impact of mutations affecting ND mitochondria-encoded subunits on the activity and assembly of complex I in Chlamydomonas. Implication for the structural organization of the enzymePierre Cardol
Genetics of Microorganisms, Department of Life Sciences, B22, University of Liege, Belgium
J Mol Biol 319:1211-21. 2002..In mitochondria from all the strains analyzed, we moreover detected a 160-210 kDa fragment comprising the hydrophilic 49 kDa and 76 kDa subunits of the complex I peripheral arm and showing NADH dehydrogenase activity...
- Loss of mitochondrial ATP synthase subunit beta (Atp2) alters mitochondrial and chloroplastic function and morphology in ChlamydomonasMarie Lapaille
Laboratoire de génétique des microorganismes, B22, Institut de Botanique, Universite de Liege, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Biochim Biophys Acta 1797:1533-9. 2010..Altogether, our results contribute to the understanding of the yet poorly studied bioenergetic interactions between organelles in photosynthetic organisms...
- Characterization of an internal type-II NADH dehydrogenase from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii mitochondriaRenaud Lecler
Laboratory of Genetics of Microorganisms, Institute of Botany, University of Liege, B22, Boulevard du Rectorat, 27, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Curr Genet 58:205-16. 2012..Respiration and growth rates in heterotrophic conditions were significantly altered in the double mutants investigated, suggesting that Nda1 plays a role in the oxidation of matrix NADH in the absence of complex I...
- The ARG9 gene encodes the plastid-resident N-acetyl ornithine aminotransferase in the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiClaire Remacle
Department of Life Sciences, Universite de Liege, Liege, Belgium
Eukaryot Cell 8:1460-3. 2009..Integration of an engineered ARG9 cassette in the plastid chromosome of the nuclear arg9 mutant restores arginine prototrophy. This suggests that ARG9 could be used as a new selectable marker for plastid transformation...
- A type II NAD(P)H dehydrogenase mediates light-independent plastoquinone reduction in the chloroplast of ChlamydomonasFrédéric Jans
Laboratorie of Plant Biochemistry and Photobiology, Department of Life Sciences, Institute of Plant Biology, B22, University of Liege, 27 Boulevard du Rectorat, 4000 Liege, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:20546-51. 2008..These results demonstrate the importance of Nda2 for nonphotochemical PQ reduction and associated processes in C. reinhardtii...
- In Chlamydomonas, the loss of ND5 subunit prevents the assembly of whole mitochondrial complex I and leads to the formation of a low abundant 700 kDa subcomplexPierre Cardol
Genetics of Microorganisms, Department of Life Sciences, B22, University of Liege, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Biochim Biophys Acta 1777:388-96. 2008..Finally, a supercomplex most probably corresponding to complex I-complex III association, was identified in mutant mitochondria, indicating that the missing part of the enzyme is not required for the formation of the supercomplex...
- Isolation and partial characterization of mutants with elevated lipid content in Chlorella sorokiniana and Scenedesmus obliquusHelene Vigeolas
Laboratory of Genetics of Microorganisms, Department of Life Sciences, Institute of Botany, B22 Boulevard du Rectorat 27, University of Liege, 4000 Liege, Belgium
J Biotechnol 162:3-12. 2012..Such mutants could subsequently be used as commercial oleaginous algae and serve as an alternative to conventional petrol...
- Photosynthesis and state transitions in mitochondrial mutants of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii affected in respirationPierre Cardol
Genetics of Microorganisms, Institute of Plant Biology B22, University of Liege, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Plant Physiol 133:2010-20. 2003..The present results demonstrate that in C. reinhardtii mutants, permanent defects in the mitochondrial electron transport chain stabilize state 2, which favors cyclic over linear electron transport in the chloroplast...
- The mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation proteome of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii deduced from the Genome Sequencing ProjectPierre Cardol
Genetics of Microorganisms, Institute of Plant Biology B22, University of Liege, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Plant Physiol 137:447-59. 2005
- Higher plant-like subunit composition of mitochondrial complex I from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii: 31 conserved components among eukaryotesPierre Cardol
Genetics of Microorganisms, Department of Life Sciences, University of Liege, B22, Institute of Botany, B4000 Liege, Belgium
Biochim Biophys Acta 1658:212-24. 2004..Protein sequence divergence in these kingdom-specific sets is significant and currently we cannot exclude the possibility that homology between them exists, but has not yet been detected...
- Mutants of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii deficient in mitochondrial complex I: characterization of two mutations affecting the nd1 coding sequenceC Remacle
Laboratory of Genetics of Microorganisms, Department of Plant Biology, , , Belgium
Genetics 158:1051-60. 2001..A sequencing analysis confirmed this conclusion: dum20 is a deletion of one T at codon 243 of nd1; dum25 corresponds to a 6-bp deletion that eliminates two amino acids located in a very conserved hydrophilic segment of the protein...
- Functional distribution and dynamics of Arabidopsis SR splicing factors in living plant cellsVinciane Tillemans
Laboratory of Plant Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Liege, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Plant J 41:567-82. 2005..SR proteins also localized within small foci at anaphase. These results demonstrate interesting related features as well as potentially important differences between plant and animal SR proteins...
- The mitochondrial ATP synthase of chlorophycean algae contains eight subunits of unknown origin involved in the formation of an atypical stator-stalk and in the dimerization of the complexMiriam Vázquez-Acevedo
Departamento de Genetica Molecular, Instituto de Fisiologia Celular, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Apartado Postal 70 600, Delegacion Coyoacan, 04510, Mexico D F, Mexico
J Bioenerg Biomembr 38:271-82. 2006..The algal enzyme seems to have modified the structural features of its surrounding scaffold, while conserving almost intact the structure of its catalytic subunits...
- Structural organization of mitochondrial human complex I: role of the ND4 and ND5 mitochondria-encoded subunits and interaction with prohibitinIngrid Bourges
UMR 5090 CNRS DRDC, CEA Grenoble, 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Biochem J 383:491-9. 2004..This is the first description of prohibitin interaction with complex I subunits and suggests that this protein might play a role in the assembly or degradation of mitochondrial complex I...
- Genetic transformation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Chlamydomonas reinhardtii mitochondriaNathalie Bonnefoy
Centre de Genetique Moleculaire, CNRS UPR2167, Avenue de la Terrasse, 91198 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, France
Methods Cell Biol 80:525-48. 2007
- On the evolution and expression of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii nucleus-encoded transfer RNA genesValerie Cognat
Institut de Biologie Moleculaire des Plantes, Unité Propre de Recherche 2357, Conventionnée avec l Université Louis Pasteur Strasbourg 1, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 67084 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Genetics 179:113-23. 2008..Phylogenetic analysis strongly suggests that tRNA(Asp)-related SINEs originate from a prokaryotic-type tRNA either horizontally transferred from a bacterium or originally present in mitochondria or chloroplasts...