J R Poortmans
- Estimation of total-body skeletal muscle mass in children and adolescentsJacques R Poortmans
Physiological Chemistry Department, Higher Institute of Physical Education and Physiotherapy, CP 168, Free University of Brussels, 28 Avenue Paul Heger, B 1000 Brussels, Belgium
Med Sci Sports Exerc 37:316-22. 2005..SMM measurement is compulsory to evaluate exercise performance and the influence of physical training on muscle mass. However, there is a lack of information on children and adolescents when quantifying appendicular skeletal muscle mass...
- Renal responses to exercise in heart and kidney transplant patientsJ R Poortmans
Chimie Physiologique, I S E P K C P 168, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
Transpl Int 10:323-7. 1997..We conclude that short-term, maximum exercise in heart and kidney transplant recipients is not detrimental to kidney function...
- Effect of oral creatine supplementation on urinary methylamine, formaldehyde, and formateJacques R Poortmans
Higher Institute of Physical Education and Physical Therapy, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Med Sci Sports Exerc 37:1717-20. 2005..Despite this allegation, there has been no scientific evidence obtained in humans to sustain or disprove such a detrimental effect of this widely used ergogenic substance...
- Glomerular filtration rate and albumin excretion after maximal exercise in aging sedentary and active menJacques R Poortmans
Institut Supérieur d Education Physique et de Kinésithérapie, CP 168, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 28 Avenue Paul Heger, B 1000 Bruxelles, Belgium
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61:1181-5. 2006..The purpose of the present study was to investigate the effect of maximal exercise on glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and albumin excretion in an aging population...
- Postexercise proteinuria in humans and its adrenergic componentJ R Poortmans
Chimie Physiologique, Institut Supérieur d Education Physique et de Kinésithérapie, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Bruxelles, Belgium
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 41:95-100. 2001..To test this hypothesis we administrated an a2-adrenergic agonist (clonidine) in order to reduce the catecholamine response during exercise...
- Adverse effects of creatine supplementation: fact or fiction?J R Poortmans
Physiological Chemistry, Higher Institute of Physical Education and Readaptation, Free University of Brussels, Bruxelles, Belgium
Sports Med 30:155-70. 2000..Regular monitoring is compulsory to avoid any abnormal reactions during oral creatine supplementation...
- Long-term oral creatine supplementation does not impair renal function in healthy athletesJ R Poortmans
Chimie Physiologique, Institut Supérieur d Education Physique et de Kinésithérapie, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Med Sci Sports Exerc 31:1108-10. 1999..It is important to know whether long-term oral creatine supplementation has any detrimental effects on kidney function in healthy population...
- Effects of training and creatine supplement on muscle strength and body massM Francaux
Institut Supérieur d Education Physique et de Kinésithérapie, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 80:165-8. 1999..Nevertheless, the relative volumes of the body water compartments remained constant and therefore the gain in body mass cannot be attributed to water retention, but probably to dry matter growth accompanied with a normal water volume...
- Beneficial effects of creatine supplementation in dystrophic patientsMagali Louis
, , 1 Place Pierre de Coubertin, B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
Muscle Nerve 27:604-10. 2003..05), and urinary excretion of collagen type I cross-linking N-telopeptide declined to about one third (P < 0.001) after Cr. No adverse effect was observed. Thus, Cr may provide some symptomatic benefit in these patients...
- No effect of creatine supplementation on human myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic protein synthesis after resistance exerciseMagali Louis
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 285:E1089-94. 2003..01). Exercise increased the synthetic rates of myofibrillar and sarcoplasmic proteins by two- to threefold (P < 0.05), and leg phenylalanine balance became more positive, but creatine was without any anabolic effect...
- Role of taurine in osmoregulation during endurance exerciseClaire Cuisinier
, , , 1 Place Pierre de Coubertin, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
Eur J Appl Physiol 87:489-95. 2002..In conclusion, changes in the plasma taurine content during endurance exercise is related to an osmoregulatory process, but this alone does not control plasma volume changes...
- Creatine supplementation has no effect on human muscle protein turnover at rest in the postabsorptive or fed statesMagali Louis
, , Brussels 1200, Belgium
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 284:E764-70. 2003..026), but creatine had no effect on turnover in the postabsorptive or fed states. Thus any increase in muscle mass accompanying creatine supplementation must be associated with increased physical activity...