- Expression of calgranulin A/B heterodimer after acute inhalation of endotoxin: proteomic approach and validationOlivier Michel
Clinic of Immuno allergology, CHU Brugmann ULB, pl Van Gehuchten 4, B 1020 Brussels, Belgium
BMC Pulm Med 13:65. 2013..The aim of the current study was to identify and to validate biomarkers of endotoxin-induced airways' inflammation...
- Evaluation of oral corticosteroids and phosphodiesterase-4 inhibitor on the acute inflammation induced by inhaled lipopolysaccharide in humanOlivier Michel
Clinics of Allergology and Respiratory Diseases, CHU Saint Pierre ULB CP404, Rue Haute 322, B 1000 Brussels, Belgium
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 20:676-83. 2007..This study investigated the effect of prednisolone and of the PDE-4 inhibitor cilomilast on the LPS-induced acute inflammation...
- Inhaled LPS induces blood release of Clara cell specific protein (CC16) in human beingsOlivier Michel
Clinics of Allergology and Respiratory Diseases, Saint Pierre University Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Rue Haute 322, B 1000 Brussels, Belgium
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:1143-7. 2005..Animal models of lung inflammation have validated the plasma 16-kd Clara cell protein (CC16) as a peripheral marker of the permeability of the alveolocapillary barrier...
- [Interest of allergology evaluation for the treatment of asthma and rhinosinusitis]O Michel
Clinique d Immuno allergologie, C H U Brugmann, Bruxelles
Rev Med Brux 29:393-9. 2008..The detection of the causative allergen offers therapeutic options such as avoidance and desensitization (immunotherapy). The allergen desensitization is a validated treatment, considered effective in rhinitis and allergic asthma...
- Role of lipopolysaccharide (LPS) in asthma and other pulmonary conditionsOlivier Michel
Clinic of Allergology and Respiratory Diseases, Saint Pierre University Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
J Endotoxin Res 9:293-300. 2003..This article will focus on published data showing that home environmental contamination by endotoxin can participate in chronic airways diseases, in particular asthma...
- [The management of indoor and outdoor pollutions]O Michel
Clinique d lmmuno Allergologie, C H U Brugman, Bruxelles
Rev Med Brux 30:425-30. 2009..The last conclusion is supported by the data reported in this short review on indoor/outdoor pollution...
- [Exercise-induced asthma]O Michel
Clinique d Immunoallergologie, C H U Brugmann, Bruxelles
Rev Med Brux 31:255-9. 2010..If the patient remains uncontrolled despite the treatment, others diagnostics should be excluded, such as vocal cords dysfunction or left heart failure...
- Systemic and local airways inflammatory response to endotoxinO Michel
Clinic of Allergology and Respiratory Diseases, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Saint Pierre, Universite Libre de Bruxelles ULB, Rue Haute 290, B1000, Brussels, Belgium
Toxicology 152:25-30. 2000..Finally, since large variations between human immune responses to endotoxin have been reported, genetic mutations could alter the mechanisms of endotoxin recognition and contribute to the risk of atopy...
- Effect of anti-asthmatic drugs on the response to inhaled endotoxinO Michel
Clinic of Allergology and Respiratory Diseases, Saint Pierre University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 85:305-10. 2000..There is no data on the protective efficacy of anti-asthmatic drugs on the response induced by inhaled endotoxin in human...
- Dose-response relationship to inhaled endotoxin in normal subjectsO Michel
Clinic of Allergology and Respiratory Diseases, Saint Pierre University Hospital ULB, Brussels, Belgium
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 156:1157-64. 1997..The no-response threshold to an acute inhalation of LPS is less than 0.5 microg...
- Healthy subjects express differences in clinical responses to inhaled lipopolysaccharide that are related with inflammation and with atopyO Michel
Clinics of Allergology and Respiratory Diseases, Saint-Pierre University Hospital, and the Clinic of Haematology, CHU Brugmann (Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
J Allergy Clin Immunol 107:797-804. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The clinical response to LPS occurs systemically or locally and is associated with inflammation. The atopic status was inversely related to the systemic inflammation...
- Characteristics of the home bacterial contamination and endotoxin related releaseL A Bouillard
Laboratoire de Microbiologie Pharmaceutique et d Hygiène, Institut de Pharmacie, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgique
J Pharm Belg 61:63-6. 2006..Our investigation demonstrates clearly the presence of numerous GNB in domestic environments and shows that domestic environnements contain in some cases relative high amounts of endotoxin...
- Platypnea induced by worsening of VA/Q inhomogeneity in the sitting position in chronic obstructive lung diseaseO Michel
Pulmonary Division Department of Internal Medicine, Saint Pierre University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Chest 93:1108-10. 1988..This hypothesis is supported by a dramatically better matching of the VA/Q ratio after treatment with almitrine bismesilate, a drug that could potentiate hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstrictive reflexes...
- Systemic responsiveness to lipopolysaccharide and polymorphisms in the toll-like receptor 4 gene in human beingsOlivier Michel
Clinic of Allergology and Respiratory Diseases, CHU Saint Pierre ULB, Brussels, Belgium
J Allergy Clin Immunol 112:923-9. 2003..The response to lipopolysaccharide exposure is highly variable and might be a result of genetic diversity between individuals. The toll-like receptor 4 (TLR-4) is the principal receptor for lipopolysacharide...
- Bacterial contamination of indoor air, surfaces, and settled dust, and related dust endotoxin concentrations in healthy office buildingsLucette Bouillard
Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Hygiene Laboratory, Institute of Pharmacy, Free University, Brussels, Belgium
Ann Agric Environ Med 12:187-92. 2005..In conclusion, people working in healthy offices can be exposed to large concentrations of airborne and dust bacteria and related endotoxin concentrations, giving a risk of work-related diseases...
- Chlorinated pool attendance, atopy, and the risk of asthma during childhoodAlfred Bernard
Department of Public Health, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Environ Health Perspect 114:1567-73. 2006..These findings further support the hypothesis implicating pool chlorine in the rise of childhood asthma in industrialized countries...
- Organic dust induced inflammation--role of atopy and TLR-4 and CD14 gene polymorphismsRagnar Rylander
Department of Environmental Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Am J Ind Med 48:302-7. 2005..Polymorphisms in the genes controlling for CD14 and TLR-4 may influence the outcome of endotoxin-induced effects...
- History and results of the two inter-laboratory round robin endotoxin assay studies on cotton dustDavid T W Chun
Cotton Quality Research Station, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Clemson, South Carolina 29633, USA
Am J Ind Med 49:301-6. 2006..When different laboratories assay identical samples, the levels differ. The objective of this research was to evaluate the intra- and inter-laboratory variability for 13 laboratories measuring endotoxin in cotton dust...
- Association between CD14 polymorphisms and serum soluble CD14 levels: effect of atopy and endotoxin inhalationTricia D LeVan
Arizona Respiratory Center, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:434-440.e1. 2008..A prerequisite for activation of the innate immune response by endotoxin is its binding to CD14...
- Changes in serum pneumoproteins caused by short-term exposures to nitrogen trichloride in indoor chlorinated swimming poolsSylviane Carbonnelle
Industrial Toxicology Unit, Catholic University of Louvain, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Biomarkers 7:464-78. 2002..In view of the increasing and widespread human exposure to this gas not only in indoor pools but also in a variety of other situations, these findings warrant further study...
- Second inter-laboratory study comparing endotoxin assay results from cotton dustDavid T W Chun
Cotton Quality Research Station, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, P O Box 792, Clemson, SC 29633, USA
Ann Agric Environ Med 9:49-53. 2002..The results of this second round robin endotoxin assay study indicate that differences between laboratories are still high, but most of the laboratories could discern the cotton dusts with the different levels of endotoxin...