- Minimalization of immunosuppression in liver transplantation: steps from 'how' to 'now'Jan Lerut
Department of Abdominal and Transplantation Surgery, Universite Catholique de Louvain, UCL, Brussels, Belgium
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 8:605-7. 2012From the very start of his surgical career, Jan Lerut was involved in organ transplantation...
- Hepatocellular cancer and liver transplantation: a Western experienceJan Lerut
Department of Imaging Interventional Radiology, Universite Catholique de Louvain UCL, Brussels, Belgium
Recent Results Cancer Res 190:127-44. 2013..In the future, identification of imaging or molecular prognostic markers could help to better define transplantation criteria...
- A prospective randomised, open-labeled, trial comparing sirolimus-containing versus mTOR-inhibitor-free immunosuppression in patients undergoing liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinomaAndreas A Schnitzbauer
University Hospital Regensburg, Department of Surgery, Regensburg, Germany
BMC Cancer 10:190. 2010..Therefore, we designed a prospective RCT to determine if the mTOR inhibitor sirolimus can improve hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)-free patient survival in liver transplant (LT) recipients with a pre-transplant diagnosis of HCC...
- Tacrolimus monotherapy in liver transplantation: one-year results of a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyJan Lerut
Department of Abdominal and Transplantation Surgery Unit of Abdominal Transplantation, Université Catholique de Louvain Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Ann Surg 248:956-67. 2008..Minimal immunosuppression (IS) is desirable in organ transplantation to reduce side effects and to promote the process of tolerance induction...
- Minimization of steroids in liver transplantationJan Lerut
Department of Abdominal and Transplantation Surgery, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Transpl Int 22:2-19. 2009..The tendency in clinical practice is to move more and more from steroid withdrawal to steroid avoidance protocols...
- Anti-CD2 monoclonal antibody and tacrolimus in adult liver transplantationJan Lerut
Liver Transplant Unit, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Transplantation 80:1186-93. 2005..Blockade of costimulation and adhesion signaling is an attractive approach to interfere with graft rejection..
- Correlation of tacrolimus levels in peripheral blood mononuclear cells with histological staging of rejection after liver transplantation: preliminary results of a prospective studyArnaud Capron
Clinical Chemistry Department, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Transpl Int 25:41-7. 2012..This finding could represent an additional tool to individualize more precisely early immunosuppressive schemes after liver transplantation...
- Extension of the adult hepatic allograft pool using split liver transplantationRoberto Sampietro
Liver Transplant Unit, , University Hospital St-Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 68:369-75. 2005..Results of split liver transplantation must be further improved in order to foster it's more widespread use necessary to overcome the actual shortage of liver allografts...
- Liver transplantation for hepatocellular cancer: UCL experience in 137 adult cirrhotic patients. Alpha-foetoprotein level and locoregional treatment as refined selection criteriaOlga Ciccarelli
Starzl Unit Abdominal Transplantation, University Hospitals St Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Transpl Int 25:867-75. 2012..0001). Immediate pre-LT AFP and aggressive pre-transplant LRT strategy, especially in MC-OUT patients, are both important elements to further expand inclusion criteria without compromising long-term results of HCC liver recipients...
- Pediatric liver transplantation using left hepatic segments from living related donors: surgical experience in 100 recipients at Saint-Luc University ClinicsAhmed A Darwish
Pediatric Liver Transplantation Program, Saint-Luc University Clinics, , Brussels, Belgium
Pediatr Transplant 10:345-53. 2006..Donor morbidity was kept to acceptable incidence, and surgical technique in the recipient needs to be tailored to minimize postoperative complications...
- Long-term medical complications and quality of life in adult recipients surviving 10 years or more after liver transplantationOlga Ciccarelli
Liver Transplant Unit, Cliniques Universitaires Saint-Luc, , Brussels, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 68:323-30. 2005....
- Validation of a liquid chromatography-mass spectrometric assay for tacrolimus in liver biopsies after hepatic transplantation: correlation with histopathologic staging of rejectionArnaud Capron
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Laboratory of Toxicology and Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, University Hospital St Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Ther Drug Monit 29:340-8. 2007....
- Cavocaval adult liver transplantation and retransplantation without venovenous bypass and without portocaval shunting: a prospective feasibility study in adult liver transplantationJan Lerut
Department of Digestive Surgery, Liver Transplant Program, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Transplantation 75:1740-5. 2003..Refinements in technique permit transplantation to be done with IVC preservation and without VVB use...
- Comparison of different methods to quantify future liver remnants after preoperative portal vein embolization to predict postoperative liver failureAmit Shah
Department of Abdominal Surgery and Transplantation, Saint Luc University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Hippocrate Avenue, 10, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Hepatogastroenterology 58:109-14. 2011..The role of the degree of liver hypertrophy (DLH) in this context was also explored...
- Use of anti-HBc positive allografts in adult liver transplantation: toward a safer way to expand the donor poolDino Donataccio
Liver Transplant Unit, Cliniques Universitaires Saint-Luc, , Brussels, Belgium
Transpl Int 19:38-43. 2006..The necessity for IP therapy should be guided by HBV-DNA testing of donor liver tissue and serum. IH of early liver biopsies is an unreliable marker for predicting antiviral treatment requirements...
- Validation of a liquid chromatography-mass spectrometric assay for tacrolimus in peripheral blood mononuclear cellsArnaud Capron
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Ther Drug Monit 31:178-86. 2009..Further studies should be conducted to fully evaluate the benefit of intracellular TAC concentrations in refinement of TDM strategies for TAC to ensure optimal clinical outcomes...
- 1199G>A and 2677G>T/A polymorphisms of ABCB1 independently affect tacrolimus concentration in hepatic tissue after liver transplantationLaure Elens
Industrial Toxicology and Occupational Medicine Unit, Universite Catholique de Louvain, St Luc Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Pharmacogenet Genomics 17:873-83. 2007....
- Biotransformation enzymes and drug transporters pharmacogenetics in relation to immunosuppressive drugs: impact on pharmacokinetics and clinical outcomeMichel Mourad
Department of Surgery, Surgery and Abdominal Transplantation Division, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Saint Luc University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Transplantation 85:S19-24. 2008..Further studies are needed to provide evidence that a genetic analysis combined with therapeutic drug monitoring has the potential to optimize drug use after transplantation...
- Liver transplantation and neuroendocrine tumors: lessons from a single centre experience and from the literature reviewEliano Bonaccorsi-Riani
Starzl Unit of Abdominal Transplantation, University Hospitals St Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Transpl Int 23:668-78. 2010..LT should be considered earlier in the therapeutic algorithm of selected NET patients as it is the only therapy that can offer a cure...
- Response to an experimental HBV vaccine permits withdrawal of HBIg prophylaxis in fulminant and selected chronic HBV-infected liver graft recipientsPeter Starkel
Department of Gastroenterology, St Luc University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Liver Transpl 11:1228-34. 2005..Vaccination seems well tolerated and safe and allows long-term discontinuation of HBIg...
- Congenital intrahepatic bile duct dilatation is a potentially curable disease: long-term results of a multi-institutional studyJean Yves Mabrut
Department of Abdominal Surgery and Transplantation, Saint Luc University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Ann Surg 246:236-45. 2007..To report clinical presentation, perioperative outcome, and long-term results of surgical management of congenital intrahepatic bile duct (IHBD) dilatations (including Caroli disease) in a multi-institutional setting...
- Outcome of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma listed for liver transplantation within the Eurotransplant allocation systemMichael Adler
Medico Surgical Department of Gastroenterology, Erasme Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Liver Transpl 14:526-33. 2008..Patients older than 50 years with a stage above the Milan criteria at transplantation have a poorer prognosis after transplantation...
- Stepwise minimization of the immunosuppressive therapy in pediatric liver transplantation. A conceptual approach towards operational toleranceRaymond Reding
Pediatric Liver Transplant Program, Saint Luc University Clinics, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 68:320-2. 2005..We hypothesize that the recent population of liver transplant recipients with low immunosuppression might be more suitable for progressive immunosuppression withdrawal trial, with the aim to reach ultimately operational tolerance...
- Liver transplantation in children with fulminant hepatic failure: The UCL experienceParikshat Mahadeb
Pediatric Liver Transplant Program, St Luc University Clinics, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Pediatr Transplant 13:414-20. 2009....
- The place of liver transplantation in Caroli's disease and syndromeLaurent De Kerckhove
Abdominal Transplantation Unit, , UCL, Brussels, Belgium
Transpl Int 19:381-8. 2006..In case of associated ARPKD, renal transplantation is often indicated early on because of the more rapid progression of the renal component of the disease...
- Liver transplantation with preservation of the inferior vena cava in case of symptomatic adult polycystic diseaseJan Lerut
Department of Abdominal Transplantation, hepatobiliary and endocrine surgery, Liver Transplant Program, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Transpl Int 18:513-8. 2005..There was minimal morbidity and no mortality. All patients have excellent quality of life with a median follow-up of 41 months (range: 12-58) as testified by a median Karnofsky score of 90% (range: 80-100%)...
- Liver transplantation for chronic graft-versus-host disease: case report with 10-year follow-upGiuseppe Orlando
Department of Radiology, Liver Transplant Program, Cliniques Universitaires Saint-Luc/1400, , Avenue Hippocrates 10, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Transpl Int 18:125-9. 2005..He is now in excellent condition 10 years after the first transplant. This experience and the review of literature indicate that LT can cure GVHD-related chronic liver failure. Recurrent GVHD in the allograft has not yet been reported...
- Liver transplantation for hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia: Report of the European liver transplant registryJan Lerut
Liver Transplant Unit, University Hospital St Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Ann Surg 244:854-62; discussion 862-4. 2006..Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (HHT) or Rendu-Osler-Weber disease is a rare disease characterized by the presence of arteriovenous malformations. Hepatic involvement can lead to life-threatening conditions...
- Re-use of a liver allograft; an exceptional opportunity to enlarge the organ donor poolRaphaël Rubay
Department of Digestive Surgery, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc 1400, Universite Catholique de Louvain UCL, Av Hippocrate 10, 1200, Brussels, Belgium
Transpl Int 16:497-9. 2003..5 h later into a patient with post-viral C cirrhosis and solitary hepatocarcinoma. Both donor and recipient operations were technically successful; liver function after the second use of the graft was normal...
- Liver transplantation for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced liver failure: nimesulide as the first implicated compoundSergio Negrin Dastis
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, St Luc University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:919-22. 2007..This has to be taken as a further warning about the potential for this compound to induce liver failure...
- Recurrence of hepatocellular cancer after liver transplantation: The role of primary resection and salvage transplantation in East and WestQuirino Lai
Department of General Surgery and Organ Transplantation, Sapienza University, Umberto I Hospital, Rome, Italy Starzl Unit of Abdominal Transplantation, University Hospitals St Luc, Université catholique Louvain UCL, Brussels, Belgium Electronic address
J Hepatol 57:974-9. 2012....
- Liver segmentation in living liver transplant donors: comparison of semiautomatic and manual methodsLaurent Hermoye
Diagnostic Radiology Unit and Center for Anatomical, Functional and Molecular Imaging Research, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Saint Luc University Hospital, Avenue Hippocrate 10, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Radiology 234:171-8. 2005..To compare the accuracy and repeatability of a semiautomatic segmentation algorithm with those of manual segmentation for determining liver volume in living liver transplant donors at magnetic resonance (MR) imaging...
- Limited lamivudine and long-term hepatitis B immunoglobulin immunoprophylaxis for prevention of hepatitis B recurrence after liver transplantationPeter Starkel
Department of Gastroenterology, St. Luc University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Transplantation 74:408-10. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: Discontinuation of lamivudine 12 months after LT is feasible and safe even in patients with ongoing low viral replication at LT, providing adequate prophylaxis with hepatitis B immunoglobulins...
- Left lobe living related liver transplantation in the absence of an extrahepatic left portal veinJan Lerut
Liver Transplant Program, Cliniques Universitaires Saint-Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain-Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Transplantation 74:278-9. 2002..This report is of a successful case of living- related liver transplantation using a left lobe procured in a patient presenting with an absent horizontal segment of the left extrahepatic vein...