Stefaan Johan Vandecasteele
Affiliation: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- The antibiotic and anti-inflammatory treatment of bacterial meningitis in adults: do we have to change our strategies in an era of increasing antibiotic resistance?S J Vandecasteele
Afdeling Algemeen Inwendige Ziekten Dienst Inwendige Ziekten UZ Gasthuisberg Herestraat 49 B 3000 Leuven
Acta Clin Belg 56:225-33. 2001..This may result in therapeutic failure. We therefore presently do not advocate the routine use of dexamethasone in the therapy of adult bacterial meningitis...
- Quantification of expression of Staphylococcus epidermidis housekeeping genes with Taqman quantitative PCR during in vitro growth and under different conditionsS J Vandecasteele
Infectious Diseases Research Group, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Rega Institute for Medical Research, University of Leuven, Belgium
J Bacteriol 183:7094-101. 2001..This confirms earlier findings for Escherichia coli that a decline in bacterial ribosomal content (measured by 16S rRNA gene expression) precedes the decline in protein synthesis (measured by mRNA expression)...
- Use of gDNA as internal standard for gene expression in staphylococci in vitro and in vivoS J Vandecasteele
Infectious Diseases Research Group, Rega Institute for Medical Research, Leuven, Belgium
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 291:528-34. 2002..This method permits exact quantification of the number of bacteria and the expression of genes in staphylococci in vivo (e.g., in biofilms, evolution in time) and in vitro...
- Diagnosis and treatment of Aspergillus flavus sternal wound infections after cardiac surgeryS J Vandecasteele
Department of Internal Medicine Infectious Diseases, University Hospital of Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Clin Infect Dis 35:887-90. 2002..In 7 patients, the infection had a locally invasive character, with 3 of these patients having multiple relapses; 2 patients had fulminant mediastinitis and died. Most patients received combined surgical and medical treatment...
- Expression of biofilm-associated genes in Staphylococcus epidermidis during in vitro and in vivo foreign body infectionsStefaan Johan Vandecasteele
Infectious Diseases Research Group, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Rega Institute for Medical Research, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Infect Dis 188:730-7. 2003..The ica genes are associated with initial colonization but not with persistence. The constant expression of atlE and gmk may indicate a role during the entire course of foreign body infections...
- The effect of systemic antibiotics on the microbiological diagnosis of experimental foreign body infections caused by Staphylococcus epidermidisStefaan J Vandecasteele
Infectious Diseases Research Group, Rega Institute for Medical Research, University Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 48:89-95. 2004..The simultaneous isolation of RNA from all samples indicated viability of the bacteria. Quantitative PCR seems a promising method for the diagnosis of FBI...
- Metabolic activity of Staphylococcus epidermidis is high during initial and low during late experimental foreign-body infectionStefaan Johan Vandecasteele
Infectious Diseases Research Group, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Rega Institute for Medical Research and Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Bacteriol 186:2236-9. 2004..This decreased metabolic activity during late FBI can explain at least in part why such infections are so difficult to eradicate with conventional antibiotic treatment...
- Two cases of severe phototoxic reactions related to long-term outpatient treatment with voriconazoleS J Vandecasteele
Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:656-7. 2004