Genomes and Genes
Philip Van Damme
Affiliation: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- Upregulation of HSP27 in a transgenic model of ALSVicky Vleminckx
Dept of Neurology, University of Leuven, Medical School, Belgium
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 61:968-74. 2002..The early nuclear localization was confirmed by Western blot analysis of spinal cord nuclear and cytoplasmic fractions. In contrast to HSP27, alphaB-crystallin was localized exclusively in the cytoplasm of reactive glial cells...
- Benefits of intensive insulin therapy on neuromuscular complications in routine daily critical care practice: a retrospective studyGreet Hermans
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical Intensive Care Unit, University Hospitals Leuven, Catholic University Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Crit Care 13:R5. 2009..In the present study, we investigated whether these effects are also present in daily clinical practice when IIT is implemented outside of a study protocol...
- Progranulin functions as a neurotrophic factor to regulate neurite outgrowth and enhance neuronal survivalPhilip Van Damme
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Cell Biol 181:37-41. 2008..These results demonstrate that PGRN/GRN is a neurotrophic factor with activities that may be involved in the development of the nervous system and in neurodegeneration...
- VEGF protects motor neurons against excitotoxicity by upregulation of GluR2Elke Bogaert
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Experimental Neurology, K U Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Neurobiol Aging 31:2185-91. 2010..Intracerebroventricular treatment with VEGF similarly induced GluR2 expression in the ventral spinal cord of rats and this mechanism contributes to the protective effect of VEGF on motor neurons...
- Ivermectin inhibits AMPA receptor-mediated excitotoxicity in cultured motor neurons and extends the life span of a transgenic mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosisMaria Andries
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, KU Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Neurobiol Dis 25:8-16. 2007..Our in vitro data indicate that this protective mechanism is due to the potentiation by ivermectin of an effect of ATP mediated by the P2X4 receptor...
- Astrocytes regulate GluR2 expression in motor neurons and their vulnerability to excitotoxicityPhilip Van Damme
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, University of Leuven, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:14825-30. 2007..These results reveal a mechanism through which astrocytes influence neuronal functioning in health and disease...
- Novel role for vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) receptor-1 and its ligand VEGF-B in motor neuron degenerationKoen Poesen
Vesalius Research Center, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven B 3000, Belgium
J Neurosci 28:10451-9. 2008..The neuroprotective activity of VEGF-B, in combination with its negligible angiogenic/permeability activity, offers attractive opportunities for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases...
- EPHA4 is a disease modifier of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in animal models and in humansAnnelies Van Hoecke
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Vesalius Research Center, VIB, Leuven, Belgium
Nat Med 18:1418-22. 2012..This suggests that Epha4 generically modulates the vulnerability of (motor) neurons to axonal degeneration and may represent a new target for therapeutic intervention...
- GluR2 deficiency accelerates motor neuron degeneration in a mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosisPhilip Van Damme
Laboratory of Neurobiology, K U Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 64:605-12. 2005..These findings indicate that GluR2 plays a pivotal role in the vulnerability of motor neurons in vitro and in vivo, and that therapies that limit Ca2+ entry through AMPA receptors might be beneficial in ALS patients...
- Oligodendrocyte dysfunction in the pathogenesis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosisThomas Philips
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Vesalius Research Centre, VIB, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Brain 136:471-82. 2013..Our data suggest that oligodendroglial dysfunction may be a contributor to motor neuron degeneration in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis...
- Long-lasting changes in GABA responsiveness in cultured neuronsJoelle N Chabwine
Laboratory of Physiology, Geert Callewaert, KULeuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Neurosci Lett 365:69-72. 2004..These long-lasting changes in GABA responsiveness may have major implications on neuronal excitability...
- The neurotrophic properties of progranulin depend on the granulin E domain but do not require sortilin bindingLouis De Muynck
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Vesalius Research Center, VIB, Leuven, Belgium Experimental Neurology, Leuven Research Institute of Neuroscience and Disease LIND, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Neurobiol Aging 34:2541-7. 2013..These results suggest that GRN E mediates the neurotrophic properties of PGRN and that binding to SORT1 is not required for this effect. ..
- Vascular endothelial growth factor in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and other neurodegenerative diseasesElke Bogaert
Laboratory of Neurobiology, University of Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Muscle Nerve 34:391-405. 2006..In this review we critically analyze the data supporting the notion that VEGF is a factor involved in motor neuron degeneration and review the studies linking VEGF to other diseases of the peripheral and central nervous systems...
- Progranulin is neurotrophic in vivo and protects against a mutant TDP-43 induced axonopathyAngela S Laird
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Department of Experimental Neurology, K U Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
PLoS ONE 5:e13368. 2010..TDP-43 was found to be nuclear in all conditions described. The findings described here demonstrate that progranulin is neuroprotective in vivo and may have therapeutic potential for at least some forms of motor neuron degeneration...
- HDAC6 inhibitors reverse axonal loss in a mouse model of mutant HSPB1-induced Charcot-Marie-Tooth diseaseConstantin d'Ydewalle
Vesalius Research Center, VIB and K U Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Nat Med 17:968-74. 2011..Our findings demonstrate the pathogenic role of α-tubulin deacetylation in mutant HSPB1-induced neuropathies and offer perspectives for using HDAC6 inhibitors as a therapeutic strategy for hereditary axonopathies...
- The neurobiology of amyotrophic lateral sclerosisAndré Bento-Abreu
Laboratory for Neurobiology, Experimental Neurology, K U Leuven, Herestraat, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Neurosci 31:2247-65. 2010....
- Progranulin does not affect motor neuron degeneration in mutant SOD1 mice and ratsSarah Herdewyn
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Experimental Neurology and Leuven Institute for Neurodegenerative Disorders LIND University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Neurobiol Aging 34:2302-3. 2013..Overexpression of PGRN in mice and intracerebroventricular delivery of PGRN in rats did not affect onset or progression of motor neuron degeneration. ..
- The AMPA receptor antagonist NBQX prolongs survival in a transgenic mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosisPhilip Van Damme
Laboratory for Neurobiology, Campus Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Neurosci Lett 343:81-4. 2003..NBQX blocked kainate-induced currents and concomitant changes in intracellular Ca(2+), prevented the kainate-induced motor neuron death, and prolonged survival of G93A mice...
- Role of mitochondria in kainate-induced fast Ca2+ transients in cultured spinal motor neuronsJulian Grosskreutz
Academic Neurology Unit, University of Sheffield, Medical School, United Kingdom
Cell Calcium 42:59-69. 2007..This may exert deleterious effects in motor neuron disease where mitochondrial function is thought to be compromised...
- Treatment of motoneuron degeneration by intracerebroventricular delivery of VEGF in a rat model of ALSErik Storkebaum
The Center for Transgene Technology and Gene Therapy, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology VIB, KU Leuven, Leuven B 3000, Belgium
Nat Neurosci 8:85-92. 2005..On i.c.v. delivery, Vegf is anterogradely transported and preserves neuromuscular junctions in SOD1(G93A) rats. Our findings in preclinical rodent models of ALS may have implications for treatment of neurodegenerative disease in general...