Affiliation: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- Nilius B, Vriens J, Prenen J, Droogmans G, Voets T. TRPV4 calcium entry channel: a paradigm for gating diversity. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;286:C195-205 pubmed..This review summarizes data on TRPV4 as a paradigm of gating diversity in this subfamily of Ca2+ entry channels. ..
- Nilius B, Vennekens R, Prenen J, Hoenderop J, Droogmans G, Bindels R. The single pore residue Asp542 determines Ca2+ permeation and Mg2+ block of the epithelial Ca2+ channel. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:1020-5 pubmed publisher..Mutations of two neighboring negatively charged residues, i.e. Glu(535) and Asp(550), had only minor effects on Ca(2+) permeation properties...
- Nilius B, Droogmans G. Ion channels and their functional role in vascular endothelium. Physiol Rev. 2001;81:1415-59 pubmed....
- Nilius B, Prenen J, Hoenderop J, Vennekens R, Hoefs S, Weidema A, et al. Fast and slow inactivation kinetics of the Ca2+ channels ECaC1 and ECaC2 (TRPV5 and TRPV6). Role of the intracellular loop located between transmembrane segments 2 and 3. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:30852-8 pubmed..In conclusion, the TM2-TM3 loop is a critical determinant of the inactivation in ECaC1 and ECaC2. ..
- Nilius B, Weidema F, Prenen J, Hoenderop J, Vennekens R, Hoefs S, et al. The carboxyl terminus of the epithelial Ca(2+) channel ECaC1 is involved in Ca(2+)-dependent inactivation. Pflugers Arch. 2003;445:584-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have identified two domains in the carboxyl terminus of ECaC1 that control Ca(2+)-dependent inactivation...
- Nilius B, Prenen J, Droogmans G, Voets T, Vennekens R, Freichel M, et al. Voltage dependence of the Ca2+-activated cation channel TRPM4. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:30813-20 pubmed..Voltage dependence of TRPM4 may be functionally important, especially in excitable tissues generating plateau-like or bursting action potentials. ..
- Nilius B, Prenen J, Voets T, Droogmans G. Intracellular nucleotides and polyamines inhibit the Ca2+-activated cation channel TRPM4b. Pflugers Arch. 2004;448:70-5 pubmed..Spermine blocked TRPM4 currents with an IC(50) of 61 microM. In conclusion, TRPM4 is a channel that can be effectively modulated by intracellular nucleotides and polyamines. ..
- Nilius B, Prenen J, Janssens A, Voets T, Droogmans G. Decavanadate modulates gating of TRPM4 cation channels. J Physiol. 2004;560:753-65 pubmed..These results indicate that the C-terminus of TRPM4 is critically involved in mediating the DV effects. In conclusion, decavanadate modulates TRPM4, but not TRPM5, by inhibiting voltage-dependent closure of the channel. ..
- Nilius B, Prenen J, Tang J, Wang C, Owsianik G, Janssens A, et al. Regulation of the Ca2+ sensitivity of the nonselective cation channel TRPM4. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:6423-33 pubmed..Thus, the Ca(2+) sensitivity of TRPM4 is regulated by ATP, PKC-dependent phosphorylation, and calmodulin binding at the C terminus. ..
- Nilius B, Prenen J, Janssens A, Owsianik G, Wang C, Zhu M, et al. The selectivity filter of the cation channel TRPM4. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:22899-906 pubmed..Our findings delineate the selectivity filter of TRPM channels and provide the first insight into the molecular basis of monovalent cation selectivity. ..
- Nilius B, Mahieu F, Prenen J, Janssens A, Owsianik G, Vennekens R, et al. The Ca2+-activated cation channel TRPM4 is regulated by phosphatidylinositol 4,5-biphosphate. EMBO J. 2006;25:467-78 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that PIP2 is a strong positive modulator of TRPM4, and implicate the C-terminal PH domain in PIP2 action. PLC-mediated PIP2 breakdown may constitute a physiologically important brake on TRPM4 activity. ..