Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- [1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3: the endocrine system meets the immune system]C Mathieu
Laboratorium voor Experimentele Geneeskunde en Endocrinologie LEGENDO, Onderwijs en Navorsing, Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven
Verh K Acad Geneeskd Belg 64:71-80; discussion 80-2. 2002..1,25(OH)2D3 and its analogues can therefore be considered as interventions aimed at the prevention or treatment of human type 1 diabetes...
- Vitamin D and diabetesC Mathieu
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology LEGENDO, Catholic University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Diabetologia 48:1247-57. 2005..Vitamin D deficiency may, therefore, be involved in the pathogenesis of both forms of diabetes, and a better understanding of the mechanisms involved could lead to the development of preventive strategies...
- The scientific evidence: vildagliptin and the benefits of islet enhancementC Mathieu
Department of Endocrinology, Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Diabetes Obes Metab 11:9-17. 2009..Improvement of beta- and alpha-cell function through incretin enhancement with vildagliptin results in more physiologic meal-related and fasting glycaemia profiles...
- Switching from premixed insulin to basal-bolus insulin glargine plus rapid-acting insulin: the ATLANTIC studyC Mathieu
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Clin Belg 68:28-33. 2013..The aim was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of switching from twice-daily premixed insulin to basal glargine plus rapid-acting insulin in a "real-world" clinical practice setting in Belgium and The Netherlands...
- Barriers and facilitators to evidence based care of type 2 diabetes patients: experiences of general practitioners participating to a quality improvement programGeert Goderis
Department of General Practice, Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium
Implement Sci 4:41. 2009..This QIP was implemented to promote compliance with international guidelines...
- Interdisciplinary diabetes care teams operating on the interface between primary and specialty care are associated with improved outcomes of care: findings from the Leuven Diabetes ProjectLiesbeth Borgermans
Department of General Practice, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
BMC Health Serv Res 9:179. 2009..A third hypothesis was that patients who used the IDCT in an Advanced quality Improvement Program (AQIP) would have significantly better outcomes compared to users of a Usual Quality Improvement Program (UQIP)...
- Is vitamin D deficiency involved in the immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome?Anali Conesa-Botella
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Department of Clinical Sciences, Antwerp, Belgium
AIDS Res Ther 6:4. 2009..The active form of vitamin D, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, is a key player in the clearance of pathogens and influences the level of inflammation and macrophage activation...
- Vildagliptin: a new oral treatment for type 2 diabetes mellitusChantal Mathieu
Department of Endocrinology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, UZ Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, Leuven, Belgium
Vasc Health Risk Manag 4:1349-60. 2008....
- Reaching glycaemic targets while minimizing hypoglycaemia in insulin-treated type 2 diabetes patientsC Mathieu
Department of Endocrinology, Catholic University, Leuven, Belgium
Diabetes Obes Metab 10:14-23. 2008..Furthermore, insulin glargine is associated with greater improvements in glycaemic control vs. intensification of oral therapy. Thus, insulin glargine should be a preferred option when starting insulin therapy for people with T2DM...
- Vitamin D deficiency in early life accelerates Type 1 diabetes in non-obese diabetic miceA Giulietti
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology LEGENDO, Catholic University of Leuven, UZ Gasthuisberg, Onderwijs en Navorsing, Herestraat 49, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Diabetologia 47:451-62. 2004..To evaluate whether a similar dietary deficiency affects diabetes incidence in NOD mice, we generated NOD mice with vitamin D deficiency in early life...
- NOD macrophages produce high levels of inflammatory cytokines upon encounter of apoptotic or necrotic cellsK Stoffels
Laboratory for Experimental Endocrinology and Medicine, Catholic University of Leuven, UZ Gasthuisberg, Onderwijs en Navorsing, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Autoimmun 23:9-15. 2004....
- An overview of real-time quantitative PCR: applications to quantify cytokine gene expressionA Giulietti
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology (LEGENDO, Catholic University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Methods 25:386-401. 2001....
- Role of CD4+ and CD8+ T cells in the rejection of heart or islet xenografts in recipients with xenotolerance in the innate immune compartmentT deVos
Laboratory for Experimental Transplantation, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Transplant Proc 37:516-7. 2005....
- Unraveling the effects of 1,25OH2D3 on global gene expression in pancreatic isletsH Wolden-Kirk
Clinical and Experimental Endocrinology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Catholic University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, BOX 902, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 136:68-79. 2013..The aim of the present study was to investigate how active vitamin D, 1,25(OH)2D3, affects beta cells directly by establishing its effects on global gene expression in healthy murine islets...
- Prevention of primary non-function of islet xenografts in autoimmune diabetic NOD mice by anti-inflammatory agentsC Gysemans
LEGENDO, UZ Gasthuisberg O and N, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Diabetologia 46:1115-23. 2003..The aim of this study was to explore in a model of spontaneous diabetes, the NOD mouse, the potential of anti-inflammatory agents in the prevention of PNF after xenogeneic islet transplantation...
- 1Alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 restores thymocyte apoptosis sensitivity in non-obese diabetic (NOD) mice through dendritic cellsB Decallonne
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology LEGENDO, Catholic University of Leuven, Onderwijs en Navorsing, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Autoimmun 24:281-9. 2005..We studied whether modulation of thymocyte apoptosis is due to direct effects on thymic T lymphocytes or indirect effects via thymic dendritic cells, since both cell types constitute known targets for 1alpha,25OH2D3...
- Treatment of autoimmune diabetes recurrence in non-obese diabetic mice by mouse interferon-beta in combination with an analogue of 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin-D3C Gysemans
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology LEGENDO, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Clin Exp Immunol 128:213-20. 2002..Therefore, we conclude that a combination of IFN-beta and TX 527 delays autoimmune diabetes recurrence in islet grafts in spontaneously diabetic NOD mice...
- Break of tolerance via donor-specific blood transfusion by high doses of steroids: a differential effect after intestinal transplantation and heart transplantationT Koshiba
Abdominal Transplant Surgery Department, University Hospitals Leuven, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Transplant Proc 35:3153-5. 2003..Tolerance requires active mechanisms. How immunosuppressors affects tolerance is poorly understood...
- Cell loss during pseudoislet formation hampers profound improvements in islet lentiviral transduction efficacy for transplantation purposesH Callewaert
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology LEGENDO, UZ Gasthuisberg O and N, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Cell Transplant 16:527-37. 2007..The high price to pay to reach stable and strong transgene expression in islet cells is certainly an important cell loss...
- The use of real-time reverse transcriptase PCR for the quantification of cytokine gene expressionL Overbergh
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology LEGENDO, Catholic University of Leuven, U Z Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
J Biomol Tech 14:33-43. 2003....
- Validation of real-time RT-PCR assays for mRNA quantification in baboonsL Overbergh
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology LEGENDO, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
Cytokine 31:454-8. 2005..In conclusion, by performing a simple validation experiment, real-time PCR assays based on human sequences, which are easily available, can be applied for analysis of baboon samples...
- Diabetes and peripheral vascular diseaseE Huysman
Department of Endocrinology, UZ Gasthuisberg, KULeuven, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 109:587-94. 2009....
- In vitro and in vivo analysis of the immune system of vitamin D receptor knockout miceC Mathieu
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, LEGENDO, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
J Bone Miner Res 16:2057-65. 2001..This study proves that although 1,25(OH)2D3 is a pharmacologic and probably a physiological immunomodulator, its immune function is redundant. Moreover, we confirm the essential role of calcium in the immune system...
- Mechanism and potential of the growth-inhibitory actions of vitamin D and ana-logsG Eelen
Laboratorium voor Experimentele Geneeskunde en Endocrinologie, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Curr Med Chem 14:1893-910. 2007..Furthermore, the mode of action and possible clinical application of chemically modified 1,25-(OH) (2)D(3)-analogs will be discussed...
- Transforming growth factor-beta inhibits lymphokine activated killer cytotoxicity of bone marrow cells: implications for the graft-versus-leukemia effect in irradiation allogeneic bone marrow chimerasA D Billiau
Laboratory of Experimental Transplantation, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
Transplantation 71:292-9. 2001..The cytokine profile, induced by irradiation in host hematopoietic organs, can significantly modify posttransplant immunological processes such as the GVL effect and graft-versus-host disease (GVHD)...
- Immune regulation of 1alpha-hydroxylase in murine peritoneal macrophages: unravelling the IFNgamma pathwayK Stoffels
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology LEGENDO, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Catholic University of Leuven, Onderwijs en Navorsing, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 103:567-71. 2007..The data confirm a crucial role for STAT1alpha as well as for C/EBPbeta in the regulation of 1alpha-hydroxylase in monocytes...
- Combination of a 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 analog and a bisphosphonate prevents experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis and preserves boneE van Etten
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Catholic University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, Belgium
Bone 32:397-404. 2003..01). Less calcemic analogs of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3), in combination with bone sparing products such as bisphosphonates allow immune modulation in vivo without affecting bone...
- PDLIM2 expression is driven by vitamin D and is involved in the pro-adhesion, and anti-migration and -invasion activity of vitamin DE Vanoirbeek
Laboratory of Clinical and Experimental Endocrinology, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Oncogene . 2013..This study provides mechanistic insights into the anticancer activities of 1,25(OH)2D3 in human breast cancer cells.Oncogene advance online publication, 15 April 2013; doi:10.1038/onc.2013.123...
- Diabetic management in high risk patients (pregnancy, insulin pumps)G Vanhaverbeke
Laboratory and Clinic of Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Clin Belg 59:173-81. 2004..Insulin pumps are often used in pregnant patients, allowing an even better glycemic control with less hypoglycemia. An absolute requirement for CSII therapy to be successful is patient education and motivation by an experienced team...
- Posttransplantation diabetes mellitus in FK-506-treated renal transplant recipients: analysis of incidence and risk factorsB D Maes
Department of Medicine, University Hospital Gathuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Transplantation 72:1655-61. 2001..Higher trough levels of FK-506 during the first month, acute rejections, and higher BMI were the most obvious risk factors...
- Prevalence and impact on quality of life of peripheral neuropathy with or without neuropathic pain in type 1 and type 2 diabetic patients attending hospital outpatients clinicsK Van Acker
Department of Endocrinology, St Jozef Clinic, Bornem, Belgium
Diabetes Metab 35:206-13. 2009..The association of DPN and DPN-P with other diabetic complications, the impact on quality of life (QoL) and pain management were also investigated...
- Deletion of C/EBP homologous protein (Chop) in C57Bl/6 mice dissociates obesity from insulin resistanceM Maris
Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Diabetologia 55:1167-78. 2012..C/EBP homologous protein (CHOP) is induced by ER stress and has a central role in apoptotic execution pathways triggered by ER stress. The aim of this study was to characterise the role of CHOP in obesity and insulin resistance...
- Defective activation-induced cell death in NOD T lymphocytes: 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 restores defectB Decallonne
Laboratorium voor Experimentele Geneeskunde en Endocrinologie LEGENDO, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1005:176-7. 2003....
- Combined use of FTY720 and cyclosporine A prevents chronic allograft vasculopathyT Koshiba
Abdominal Transplant Surgery, Leuven, Belgium
Transplant Proc 34:748-9. 2002
- Gestational diabetes: overview of the new consensus screening strategy and diagnostic criteriaK Benhalima
Department of Endocrinology, UZ Gasthuisberg, KU Leuven, Leuven
Acta Clin Belg 67:255-61. 2012..7%. We feel that more data are necessary on the cost-effectiveness of an universal screening strategy using an OGTT with more stringent diagnostic criteria for GDM, especially in a population with a low background prevalence of GDM...
- Involvement of 4-1BB (CD137)-4-1BBligand interaction in the modulation of CD4 T cell-mediated inflammatory colitisP Maerten
Laboratory of Experimental Immunology, University Hospital, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Clin Exp Immunol 143:228-36. 2006..In conclusion, our data provide evidence that 4-1BB-4-1BBL interaction modulates the effector CD4+ T cell-driven immune response and cytokine production in experimental colitis without affecting regulatory T cell function...
- Can we reduce hypoglycaemia with insulin detemir?C Mathieu
Department of Endocrinology, Katholieke Universitet, Leuven, UZ Gasthuisberg O and N, Leuven B 3000, Belgium
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:S35-40. 2004....
- Immunomodulation by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3: therapeutic implications in hemodialysis and renal transplantationC Mathieu
Department of Endocrinology, UZ Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Clin Nephrol 66:275-83. 2006..Initiation of vitamin D-based therapies at earlier stages of chronic kidney disease may impact the immune status of patients who progress to require dialysis or transplantation...
- Air pollution-associated procoagulant changes: the role of circulating microvesiclesJ Emmerechts
Center for Molecular and Vascular Biology, Unit of Lung Toxicology, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Thromb Haemost 10:96-106. 2012..Epidemiological studies suggest an association between exposure to particulate matter (PM) in air pollution and the risk of venous thromboembolism (VTE)...
- Low doses of anti-CD3, ciclosporin A and the vitamin D analogue, TX527, synergise to delay recurrence of autoimmune diabetes in an islet-transplanted NOD mouse model of diabetesF Baeke
Laboratory for Clinical and Experimental Endocrinology, Campus Gasthuisberg O and N1, Herestraat 49 bus 902, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Diabetologia 55:2723-32. 2012....
- Markers for cardiovascular disease in monozygotic twins discordant for the use of third-generation oral contraceptivesR J F Loos
Department of Sport and Movement Sciences, Faculty of Physical Education and Physiotherapy, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Hum Hypertens 17:481-5. 2003..Some changes are beneficial (increased HDL-cholesterol), whereas others may be deleterious (increased BP and triglyceride levels) or have unknown effects at this time (increased IGFBP-1 levels)...
- Dual role of interferon-gamma signalling pathway in sensitivity of pancreatic beta cells to immune destructionC A Gysemans
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology LEGENDO, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Diabetologia 44:567-74. 2001..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of a global disruption of IFN-gamma signalling, or a selective disruption of IRF-1, on beta-cell sensitivity to in vivo immune destruction...
- Diabetes and pregnancy: beyond glucose?C Mathieu
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology LEGENDO, Catholic University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Diabetologia 48:1714-5. 2005
- Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 is expressed in pancreatic islets from prediabetic NOD mice and in interleukin-1 beta-exposed human and rat islet cellsM C Chen
Gene Expression Unit, Diabetes Research Center, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 103, B-1090 Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 44:325-32. 2001..The production of MCP-1 by pancreatic beta cells could contribute to the recruitment of mononuclear cells into pancreatic islets in early Type I diabetes...
- Comparative therapeutic effects of orally administered 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) and 1alpha-hydroxyvitamin D(3) on type-1 diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice fed a normal-calcaemic dietJ P Driver
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME, USA
Clin Exp Immunol 151:76-85. 2008..In future, the dietary supplementation of novel low-calcaemic D3 analogues may enable their continuous delivery at levels that inhibit T1D development in susceptible humans consuming normal levels of Ca...
- Early graft failure of xenogeneic islets in NOD mice is accompanied by high levels of interleukin-1 and low levels of transforming growth factor-beta mRNA in the graftsC A Gysemans
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Catholic University Leuven, Gasthuisberg, Belgium
Diabetes 49:1992-7. 2000..These data suggest that early islet xenograft failure is more common in spontaneously diabetic NOD mice and could be due to a nonspecific inflammatory reaction locally in the grafts...
- Human pancreatic duct cells can produce tumour necrosis factor-alpha that damages neighbouring beta cells and activates dendritic cellsB Movahedi
Diabetes Research Centre, Brussels Free University VUB and JDRF Centre for Beta Cell Therapy in Europe, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 47:998-1008. 2004..We investigated whether human duct cells are a source of TNFalpha-mediated interactions with beta cells and immune cells. This cytokine has been implicated in the development of autoimmune diabetes in mice...
- Promoting targeted screening for Type 2 diabetes mellitus: the contribution of community pharmacistsS Simoens
Diabet Med 22:812-3. 2005
- Identification of novel and recurrent glucokinase mutations in Belgian and Luxembourg maturity onset diabetes of the young patientsL Vits
Clin Genet 70:355-9. 2006
- The role of interferon regulatory factor-1 in cytokine-induced mRNA expression and cell death in murine pancreatic beta-cellsD Pavlovic
Eizirik, Department of Metabolism and Endocrinology, Diabetes Research Center, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Eur Cytokine Netw 10:403-12. 1999..These effects are absent in purified beta-cells, suggesting that IRF-1 may mediate its effects on whole islets via activation of non-endocrine cells (e.g. macrophages and ductal cells) present in these preparations...
- Combined positivity for HLA DQ2/DQ8 and IA-2 antibodies defines population at high risk of developing type 1 diabetesK Decochez
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University VUB, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 48:687-94. 2005..We investigated whether specific combinations of immune and genetic markers can identify subgroups with more homogeneous progression to clinical onset...
- Deficient mineralization of intramembranous bone in vitamin D-24-hydroxylase-ablated mice is due to elevated 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D and not to the absence of 24,25-dihydroxyvitamin DR St-Arnaud
Genetics Unit, Shriners Hospital for Children, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Endocrinology 141:2658-66. 2000..Our results confirm the physiological importance of the 24-OHase enzyme for maintaining vitamin D homeostasis, and they reveal that 24,25-dihydroxyvitamin D is a dispensable metabolite during bone development...
- Male-to-female excess in diabetes diagnosed in early adulthood is not specific for the immune-mediated form nor is it HLA-DQ restricted: possible relation to increased body mass indexI Weets
Diabetes Research Center, Free University, Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 44:40-7. 2001....
- Two Caucasian families with the hepatocyte nuclear factor-1alpha mutation Tyr218CysM Hummel
Diabetes Research Institute and Academical Hospital Munich Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 115:62-4. 2007..Clinical and laboratory examinations are shown in detail. Patients with HNF-1alpha related MODY may develop the full spectrum of diabetic complications. Therefore, early detection of family members with MODY3 is warranted...
- Identification of prediabetes in first-degree relatives at intermediate risk of type I diabetesI Truyen
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University VUB, Brussels, Belgium
Clin Exp Immunol 149:243-50. 2007..Together with initially IA-2A-positive relatives these individuals qualify for standardized beta cell function tests in view of prevention trials...
- IL-1beta and IFN-gamma induce the expression of diverse chemokines and IL-15 in human and rat pancreatic islet cells, and in islets from pre-diabetic NOD miceA K Cardozo
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Route de Lennik 808, CP 618, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 46:255-66. 2003....
- The age at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes continues to decrease in Belgian boys but not in girls: a 15-year surveyI Weets
Diabetes Research Center, Free University Brussels, Belgium
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 23:637-43. 2007..Preliminary Belgian data suggested that this anticipation occurred preferentially in boys. We investigated whether this gender-specific anticipation could be confirmed over a 15-year observation period...
- IA-2 autoantibodies predict impending type I diabetes in siblings of patientsK Decochez
Diabetes Research Centre, Free University of Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 45:1658-66. 2002..We compared its predictive value with that of positivity for a particular type of islet autoantibody, directed against the IA-2 antigen...
- Modulating the natural history of type 1 diabetes in children at high genetic risk by mucosal insulin immunizationPeter Achenbach
Diabetes Research Institute, Koelner Platz 1, Munich 80804, Germany
Curr Diab Rep 8:87-93. 2008....
- [Prevention of type 1 diabetes: interventions in mice and in humans]C Mathieu
Departement d Endocrinologie, UZ Gasthuisberg, KULeuven
Rev Med Liege 60:303-5. 2005..In the coming years, major advances in prevention of type 1 diabetes are to be expected...
- A murine interleukin-4-Ig fusion protein regulates the expression of Th1- and Th2-specific cytokines in the pancreas of NOD miceM Walz
German Diabetes Research Institute, Clinical Department, Heinrich Heine University, Duesseldorf, Germany
Horm Metab Res 34:561-9. 2002..In most experiments, the biological activity of IL-4-Ig and IL-4 was comparable. We conclude that treatment with the chimeric protein IL-4-Ig effectively downregulates Th1 responses but simultaneously augments intra-islet infiltration...
- Adiponectin levels do not predict clinical onset of type 1 diabetes in antibody-positive relativesI Truyen
Diabetes Research Center, Brussels Free University VUB, Laarbeeklaan 103, 1090, Brussels, Belgium
Diabetologia 50:2143-6. 2007..We investigated whether adiponectin, an insulin sensitiser, can serve as an additional predictive marker for type 1 diabetes in first-degree relatives of known patients...