Eli Anne Kvittingen
Affiliation: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- High-frequency vagus nerve stimulation improves portal hypertension in cirrhotic ratsIlse Bockx
Department of Hepatology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Gut 61:604-12. 2012..A study was undertaken to determine whether electrical vagus nerve stimulation (STIM) influences portal vein pressure...
- A novel mutation causing mild, atypical fumarylacetoacetase deficiency (Tyrosinemia type I): a case reportDavid Cassiman
Center for Metabolic Diseases, Leuven University Hospitals, Leuven, Belgium
Orphanet J Rare Dis 4:28. 2009..This is the first report of mild tyrosinemia type I disease caused by an Ala35Thr mutation in the FAH gene, presenting atypically without increase of the diagnostically important toxic metabolites succinylacetone and succinylacetoacetate...
- Porphyria cutanea tarda and liver disease. A retrospective analysis of 17 cases from a single centre and review of the literatureDavid Cassiman
Department of Hepatology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, University of Leuven, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 71:237-42. 2008..g. HCV infection, haemochromatosis and especially alcoholic liver disease. We conducted a retrospective analysis on the prevalence of liver disorders in association with Porphyria Cutanea Tarda (PCT), in a university referral centre...
- NASH may be trashDavid Cassiman
Department of Hepatology and Metabolic Center, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Gut 57:141-4. 2008
- Bilateral renal cell carcinoma development in long-term Fabry diseaseD Cassiman
Metabolic Center, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
J Inherit Metab Dis 30:830-1. 2007
- Human hepatic progenitor cells express vasoactive intestinal peptide receptor type 2 and receive nerve endingsDavid Cassiman
Department of Hepatology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Liver Int 27:323-8. 2007..VIP expressing nerves are known to be present in the liver...
- Orlistat treatment is safe in overweight and obese liver transplant recipients: a prospective, open label trialDavid Cassiman
Department of Hepatology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, University of Leuven, Belgium
Transpl Int 19:1000-5. 2006..Orlistat treatment is well tolerated in liver transplant recipients and can be started safely, provided immunosuppressive drug levels and dietary adherence are closely monitored...
- ADP-degrading enzymes inhibit platelet activation in bile duct-ligated ratsP Witters
Liver Research Facility, Centre for Molecular and Vascular Biology, Department of Pathology, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Thromb Haemost 8:360-8. 2010..The effect of cholestatic liver disease on primary hemostasis function remains ill-defined...
- Rescue of a marginal liver graft by sequential treatment with molecular adsorbent recirculating system and transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt: a case reportT Darius
Department of Abdominal Transplant Surgery, University Hospitals Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Transplant Proc 41:3427-9. 2009..MARS and TIPS used sequentially were capable of rescuing a liver graft, thereby avoiding the morbidity and mortality associated with early retransplantation and sparing a liver graft from the donor pool...
- Outcomes of long-term administration of intravenous hepatitis B immunoglobulins for the prevention of recurrent hepatitis B after liver transplantationK Pauwelyn
Department of Hepatology and Abdominal Transplantation Surgery, University Hospitals, Catholic University Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Transplant Proc 42:4399-402. 2010..The aim of this study was to investigate the safety and efficacy of lifelong therapy with intravenous hepatitis B immunoglobulins (i.v. HBIg) to prevent recurrence of hepatitis B after orthotopic liver transplantation (OLT)...
- Expression of neural cell adhesion molecule in human liver development and in congenital and acquired liver diseasesL Libbrecht
Laboratory of Morphology and Molecular Pathology, University of Leuven, Minderbroedersstraat 12, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Histochem Cell Biol 116:233-9. 2001..Our results suggest that NCAM may have a function in the development of the intrahepatic bile ducts and that NCAM-positive immature biliary cells can contribute to the repair of damaged bile ducts in chronic liver diseases...
- Acute liver failure secondary to khat (Catha edulis)-induced necrotic hepatitis requiring liver transplantation: case reportP Roelandt
Hepatology Department, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Transplant Proc 43:3493-5. 2011..Mechanisms of action and potential side effects of khat are elaborated on...
- Repetitive episodes of cryptogenic septicaemia in a patient with cirrhosis: a case of "heavy metal"L Mortier
Department of Hepatology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, KU Leuven, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 74:82-7. 2011..In case of a fungal infection, longer treatment is recommended...
- Alpha B-crystallin expression in human and rat hepatic stellate cellsD Cassiman
Laboratory of Cell Pharmacology, University of Leuven, Belgium
J Hepatol 35:200-7. 2001..We searched for factors implicated in early hepatic stellate cell (HSC) activation in diseased liver, by means of suppression subtractive hybridization (SSH)...
- Systematic review: the pathophysiology and management of polycystic liver diseaseF Temmerman
Department of Hepatology, UZ Gasthuisberg, K U Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 34:702-13. 2011..Most of the patients with PCLD are asymptomatic, however, in some patients, expansion of liver cysts causes invalidating abdominal symptoms...
- Biliary strictures after liver transplantation: risk factors and prevention by donor treatment with epoprostenolJ Pirenne
Liver Transplant Program, University Hospitals Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Transplant Proc 41:3399-402. 2009....
- Hepatic progenitor cells in hepatocellular adenomasL Libbrecht
Department of Pathology, University Hospitals, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1388-96. 2001..Our study shows that hepatic progenitor cells are present in a considerable proportion of hepatocellular adenomas, supporting the hypothesis that human hepatic progenitor cells can play a role in the development of hepatocellular tumors...
- Successful conversion from mycophenolate mofetil to enteric-coated mycophenolate sodium (myfortic) in liver transplant patients with gastrointestinal side effectsG Robaeys
Department of Hepatology, UZ Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Transplant Proc 41:610-3. 2009..The aim of this prospective study was to evaluate the effect of conversion from mycophenolate mofetil (MMF) to enteric-coated mycophenolate sodium (EC-MPS) in liver transplant patients with gastrointestinal side effects...
- Synaptophysin: A novel marker for human and rat hepatic stellate cellsD Cassiman
Laboratory of Liver and Pancreatic Diseases, Leuven University, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Pathol 155:1831-9. 1999..In addition, the presence of synaptic vesicles in stellate cell processes suggests a hitherto unknown mechanism of interaction with neighboring cells...
- Review article: blood platelet number and function in chronic liver disease and cirrhosisP Witters
Laboratory of Hepatology, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 27:1017-29. 2008..The liver plays a central role in coagulation and fibrinolysis but is also closely intertwined with the function and number of blood platelets...
- Cirrhosis and malnutrition: assessment and managementC Verslype
Department of Hepatology, University Hospital Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 73:510-3. 2010..Nasogastric tube feeding is indicated when patients are unable to maintain an adequate oral intake. In case tube feeding is not possible, total parenteral nutrition may be necessary to maintain an anabolic state...
- Breast cancer resistance protein (BCRP/ABCG2) is expressed by progenitor cells/reactive ductules and hepatocytes and its expression pattern is influenced by disease etiology and species type: possible functional consequencesSara Vander Borght
Laboratory of Morphology and Molecular Pathology, University Hospitals Leuven, Belgium
J Histochem Cytochem 54:1051-9. 2006..Strong differences between human and rat liver must be taken into account in future studies with animal models...
- Neuroregulation of the neuroendocrine compartment of the liverTania Roskams
Department of Pathology, University of Leuven, Belgium
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 280:910-23. 2004..Moreover, since there is a shortage of donor organs, a better understanding of the mechanisms of regeneration could have therapeutic possibilities, which could even obviate the need for orthotopic liver transplantation...
- Beauty is in the eye of the beholder: emerging concepts and pitfalls in hepatic stellate cell researchDavid Cassiman
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, KU Leuven, Herestraat 49, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Hepatol 37:527-35. 2002
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis possibly caused by riluzole therapy in ALSDavid Cassiman
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospitals Leuven, Belgium
Neurology 61:1150-1. 2003
- Peripheral bile duct paucity and cholestasis in the liver of a patient with Alagille syndrome: further evidence supporting a lack of postnatal bile duct branching and elongationLouis Libbrecht
Department of Pathology, University Hospitals of Leuven, Minderbroedersstraat 12, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Am J Surg Pathol 29:820-6. 2005..Our findings also suggest that anomalies of the intrahepatic arterial branches may be part of AGS in some patients...
- Hepatic stellate cells do not derive from the neural crestDavid Cassiman
Department of Hepatology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Hepatol 44:1098-104. 2006..Hepatic stellate cells (HSC) have been hypothesised to derive from the neural crest, based on their expression of multiple neural/neuroendocrine features and their contacts with autonomic nerve endings...
- HBx or HCV core gene expression in HepG2 human liver cells results in a survival benefit against oxidative stress with possible implications for HCC developmentTamara Severi
Laboratory of Hepatology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, O and N Building Bus 703, Herestraat 49, Leuven, Belgium
Chem Biol Interact 168:128-34. 2007..In conclusion, HBx and HCV core expression in HepG2 cells leads to a survival benefit under oxidative stress which in vivo can be induced during inflammation...
- Both Ca2+ -dependent and -independent pathways are involved in rat hepatic stellate cell contraction and intrahepatic hyperresponsiveness to methoxamineWim Laleman
Dept of Hepatology, Univ Hospital Gasthuisberg, K U Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 292:G556-64. 2007....
- Clinicopathological features of focal nodular hyperplasia-like nodules in 130 cirrhotic explant liversLouis Libbrecht
Department of Pathology, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Gastroenterol 101:2341-6. 2006....
- Glypican-3 expression distinguishes small hepatocellular carcinomas from cirrhosis, dysplastic nodules, and focal nodular hyperplasia-like nodulesLouis Libbrecht
Department and Laboratories of Pathology, University and University Hospitals of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Surg Pathol 30:1405-11. 2006..83 and 1, respectively, for needle biopsies. Because the result of the staining was easily interpretable, immunohistochemistry for GPC3 is valuable ancillary tool in the histopathologic diagnosis of small focal lesions in cirrhosis...
- The correlation between portal myofibroblasts and development of intrahepatic bile ducts and arterial branches in human liverLouis Libbrecht
Laboratory of Morphology and Molecular Pathology, Department of Pathology, University of Leuven, Belgium
Liver 22:252-8. 2002....
- The onecut transcription factor HNF6 is required for normal development of the biliary tractFrederic Clotman
Hormone and Metabolic Research Unit, Institute of Cellular Pathology and Université catholique de Louvain, Avenue Hippocrate 75, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Development 129:1819-28. 2002..We conclude that HNF6 is essential for differentiation and morphogenesis of the biliary tract and that intrahepatic bile duct development is controlled by a HNF6-->HNF1beta cascade...
- Hepatic stellate cell/myofibroblast subpopulations in fibrotic human and rat liversDavid Cassiman
Laboratory of Cell Pharmacology, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Hepatol 36:200-9. 2002..We studied the distribution and expression profile of mesenchymal (myo)fibroblast-like populations in fibrotic and cirrhotic liver, in an attempt to elucidate their possible interrelationships...
- The vagal nerve stimulates activation of the hepatic progenitor cell compartment via muscarinic acetylcholine receptor type 3David Cassiman
Laboratory of Cell Pharmacology, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Pathol 161:521-30. 2002..These findings may be of clinical importance for patients with a transplant liver...