Affiliation: Interuniversity Microelectronics Center (IMEC
- Organic thin-film transistors as transducers for (bio)analytical applicationsCarmen Bartic
IMEC vzw, MCP ART, Leuven, Belgium
Anal Bioanal Chem 384:354-65. 2006..Detection principle, device configuration, materials and fabrication processes as well as sensor performances will be discussed, with emphasis on the potential for implementation in real applications and the important challenges ahead...
- Towards a noise prediction model for in vivo neural recordingCarolina Mora López
IMEC, Leuven, Belgium
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2012:759-62. 2012..With this tool we are able to quantify different noise sources, which is important to determine realistic noise specifications for the design of electronic neural recording interfaces...
- Synaptic dysfunction in hippocampus of transgenic mouse models of Alzheimer's disease: a multi-electrode array studySeon Ah Chong
Bio Electronic Systems, IMEC, Kapeldreef 75, Leuven, Belgium
Neurobiol Dis 44:284-91. 2011..V717I mice and depressed in biAT mice. The findings demonstrate important synaptic changes that differ considerably in the hippocampal sub-regions already at young age, well before the typical amyloid or tau pathology is evident...
- Single-cell recording and stimulation with a 16k micro-nail electrode array integrated on a 0.18 μm CMOS chipRoeland Huys
IMEC vzw, Kapeldreef 75, 3001, Leuven, Belgium
Lab Chip 12:1274-80. 2012..This novel electrode array could help pave the way towards solving complex interactions of mammalian cellular networks...
- Local electrical stimulation of cultured embryonic cardiomyocytes with sub-micrometer nail structuresDries Braeken
Interuniversitair MicroElectronica Centrum IMEC, Kapeldreef 75, 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2008:4816-9. 2008..The results suggest the applicability of the device in pharmacological or signal propagation studies...
- Local electrical stimulation of single adherent cells using three-dimensional electrode arrays with small interelectrode distancesDries Braeken
Interuniversity Microelectronics Center IMEC, Kapeldreef 75, 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2009:2756-9. 2009..Arrays of these three-dimensional electrodes could eventually be used as a tool to selectively electroporate the membrane of single cells for genetic manipulation or to obtain electrical access to the inner compartment of the cell...
- Single-cell stimulation and electroporation using a novel 0.18 µ CMOS chip with subcellular-sized electrodesDries Braeken
BioElectronics Group, IMEC, Kapeldreef 75, 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2010:6473-6. 2010..This technology could be used for high-throughput, single-cell manipulations for the purpose of large-scale drug screening and the investigation of fundamental cell processes...
- Towards a closed-loop system for stimulation and recording: an in vitro approach with embryonic cardiomyocytesThoa Nguyen
KULeuven and Imec, Belgium
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2010:2735-8. 2010..5 V, and the distance from stimulation site was more than 200 µm. Cardiac signal propagation was also investigated with this system...
- A novel 16k micro-nail CMOS-chip for in-vitro single-cell recording, stimulation and impedance measurementsRoeland Huys
IMEC, Bio Electronic Systems group, Belgium
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2010:2726-9. 2010..This system is a first step towards a high-throughput neuron/chip interface...
- Using reciprocal derivative chronopotentiometry as a technique to determine safe charge injection limits of electrodes used for neural stimulationSilke Musa
IMEC, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2010:2943-6. 2010..45 V in the first and 2.24 V in the latter case. These values are clearly larger than the gas evolution limits generally found with steady-state voltammetry...
- Localized electrical stimulation of in vitro neurons using an array of sub-cellular sized electrodesDries Braeken
BioElectronics Group, IMEC, Kapeldreef 75, 3001 Heverlee, Belgium
Biosens Bioelectron 26:1474-7. 2010..The technology can be easily scaled up to larger electrode arrays (theoretically up to 137,000 electrodes/mm(2)) with active CMOS electronics integration able to perform high-throughput measurements on single cells...
- Mixed-signal template-based reduction scheme for stimulus artifact removal in electrical stimulationThi Kim Thoa Nguyen
IMEC, Leuven, Belgium
Med Biol Eng Comput 51:449-58. 2013..The proposed topology therefore promisingly opens up a previously unavailable detection window for improving the analysis of the neuronal activity...
- Primary culture of embryonic rat olfactory receptor neuronsEvelien Micholt
Department of Biosystems MeBioS Mechatronics, Biostatistics and Sensors, University of Leuven, Willem de Croylaan 42, 3001, Leuven, Belgium
In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 48:650-9. 2012..In addition, of these functional neurons, 23.3% of E17 and 54.3% of E20 cultures were responsive to the odorant isoamyl acetate...
- Substrate topography determines neuronal polarization and growth in vitroLiesbeth Micholt
Life Science Technologies, IMEC, Leuven, Belgium
PLoS ONE 8:e66170. 2013..However, we found differences in neurite length that depended on pillar dimensions. This study is one of the first to describe in detail the very early response of hippocampal neurons to topographic stimuli...
- Coulometric detection of irreversible electrochemical reactions occurring at Pt microelectrodes used for neural stimulationSilke Musa
IMEC, Leuven, Belgium
Anal Chem 83:4012-22. 2011..4-12% was estimated for in vivo stimulation. These result may prove important for the interpretation of histological damage induced by neural stimulation and therefore help define safer operational limits...
- On-chip chemical stimulation of neurons by local and controlled release of neurotransmitterGuillaume Mernier
IMEC vzw, Bioelectronic Systems Group, Heverlee, Belgium
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2008:2745-8. 2008..Such a device could provide a useful tool in both basic and clinical neuroscience. In a broader context, this device can be used to locally release small amounts of chemical compounds in Lab-on-Chip and drug delivery applications...
- Neurotoxicity of Alzheimer's disease Aβ peptides is induced by small changes in the Aβ42 to Aβ40 ratioInna Kuperstein
Department for Molecular and Developmental Genetics, Flanders Institute for Biotechnology VIB, Leuven, Belgium
EMBO J 29:3408-20. 2010..Our work also suggests the dynamic nature of the equilibrium between toxic and non-toxic intermediates...