Affiliation: Institute of Tropical Medicine
- Water-related disease patterns before and after the construction of the Diama dam in northern SenegalS Sow
Helminthology Unit, Department of Parasitology, Prince Leopold Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 96:575-86. 2002..It remains to be judged whether the economic benefits of the dam will counterbalance its adverse effects...
- Low awareness of intestinal schistosomiasis in northern Senegal after 7 years of health education as part of intense control and research activitiesSeydou Sow
Department of Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 8:744-9. 2003..We conclude that even intense and long-lasting education efforts for a specific and straightforward problem as schistosomiasis are not enough to have profound impact on the knowledge of rural traditional communities...
- [Hygiene practices and contamination risks of surface waters by schistosome eggs: the case of an infested village in Northern Senegal]S Sow
Institut de médecine tropicale Prince Léopold, Anvers, Belgique
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 97:12-4. 2004..In order to improve hygienic practices and reduce fecal pollution of the environment, a health education model respecting local beliefs and customs would be indispensable...
- The role of hygienic bathing after defecation in the transmission of Schistosoma mansoniSeydou Sow
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nationalestraat 155, Antwerp, Belgium
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:542-7. 2008..Our results suggest a major role of hygienic bathing after defecation in the transmission of S. mansoni...
- The contribution of water contact behavior to the high Schistosoma mansoni Infection rates observed in the Senegal River BasinSeydou Sow
Prince Leopold Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
BMC Infect Dis 11:198. 2011..So far, only few studies have related water contact patterns to infection levels...
- Evaluation of staff performance and material resources for integrated schistosomiasis control in northern SenegalMarieke J van der Werf
Department of Public Health, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Trop Med Int Health 7:70-9. 2002..The activities included additional training of doctors and nurses in symptom-based treatment and making praziquantel (PZQ) available for an affordable price...