W Ripley Ballou
Affiliation: GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals
- Update on the clinical development of candidate malaria vaccinesW Ripley Ballou
Clinical Research and Development, and Research and Development, GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, Rixensart, Belgium
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:239-47. 2004..They focus their comments on those candidate vaccines that are currently in or expected to enter clinical trials in the next 12 months...
- Obstacles to the development of a safe and effective attenuated pre-erythrocytic stage malaria vaccineW Ripley Ballou
Worldwide Clinical Development, GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, Rue de l Institut 89, 1330 Rixensart, Belgium
Microbes Infect 9:761-6. 2007..Overcoming these barriers will be very challenging. In contrast, subunit vaccines appear quite feasible and show great promise as candidate malaria vaccines...
- Two decades of commitment to malaria vaccine development: GlaxoSmithKline BiologicalsW Ripley Ballou
Global Clinical Research and Development, GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, 89 Rue de l Institut, Rixensart, Belgium
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:289-95. 2007....
- Malaria vaccines in developmentW Ripley Ballou
Clinical Research and Development, GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, Rixensart, Belgium
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 10:489-503. 2005....
- Plasmodium falciparum malaria vaccines in developmentJohan Vekemans
GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals, Emerging Diseases, Global Clinical Research and Development Vaccines, Rixensart, Belgium
Expert Rev Vaccines 7:223-40. 2008....
- Safety of the RTS,S/AS02D candidate malaria vaccine in infants living in a highly endemic area of Mozambique: a double blind randomised controlled phase I/IIb trialJohn J Aponte
Barcelona Centre for International Health Research CRESIB, Hospital Clinic Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Lancet 370:1543-51. 2007..We aimed to assess the safety, immunogenicity, and initial efficacy of the malaria vaccine RTS,S/AS02D in infants in Africa...
- Phase I dose escalation safety and immunogenicity trial of Plasmodium falciparum apical membrane protein (AMA-1) FMP2.1, adjuvanted with AS02A, in malaria-naïve adults at the Walter Reed Army Institute of ResearchMark E Polhemus
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD, United States
Vaccine 25:4203-12. 2007..1/AS02A in an endemic population in the Republic of Mali...
- Malaria treatment with atovaquone-proguanil in malaria-immune adults: implications for malaria intervention trials and for pre-exposure prophylaxis of malariaMark E Polhemus
Walter Reed Project, United States Army Medical Research Unit, Kisumu, Kenya
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1493-5. 2008..This prolonged prophylaxis period has implications for study design when used in malaria intervention trials and cautiously suggests clinical investigation of potential preexposure prophylaxis of malaria...
- Phase 1 safety and immunogenicity trial of malaria vaccine RTS,S/AS02A in adults in a hyperendemic region of western KenyaJose A Stoute
U S Army Medical Research Unit, Nairobi, Kenya
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:166-70. 2006..We conclude that in this small study, RTS,S/AS02A is safe and similarly immunogenic in malaria-exposed African adults of different ethnicity in different transmission settings...
- Heterologous prime-boost immunization in rhesus macaques by two, optimally spaced particle-mediated epidermal deliveries of Plasmodium falciparum circumsporozoite protein-encoding DNA, followed by intramuscular RTS,S/AS02ADouglas S Walsh
Department of Immunology and Medicine, US Army Medical Component, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences AFRIMS, Bangkok, Thailand
Vaccine 24:4167-78. 2006..In field studies, RTS,S/AS02A reduced malaria infection, clinical episodes, and disease severity. Heterologous prime-boost immunization regimens, optimally spaced, might improve the protective immunity of RTS,S/AS02A...
- Duration of protection with RTS,S/AS02A malaria vaccine in prevention of Plasmodium falciparum disease in Mozambican children: single-blind extended follow-up of a randomised controlled trialPedro L Alonso
Centre de Salut Internacional, Hospital Clinic Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Universitat de Barcelona, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Lancet 366:2012-8. 2005..An important remaining issue is the durability of protection against clinical disease in these children...
- Induction of T helper type 1 and 2 responses to 19-kilodalton merozoite surface protein 1 in vaccinated healthy volunteers and adults naturally exposed to malariaEdwin A M Lee
Molecular Immunology Group, Nuffield Department of Medicine, Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 9DU, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 70:1417-21. 2002..These data suggest that epitope-specific naturally acquired MSP-1(19) immune responses in endemic populations can be boosted by vaccination...
- Towards an RTS,S-based, multi-stage, multi-antigen vaccine against falciparum malaria: progress at the Walter Reed Army Institute of ResearchD Gray Heppner
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Department of Immunology, 503 Robert Grant Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Vaccine 23:2243-50. 2005..Recent safety, immunogenicity, and efficacy trials in the US and Africa are presented, as well as plans for the development of a multi-antigen vaccine...
- Efficacy of the RTS,S/AS02A vaccine against Plasmodium falciparum infection and disease in young African children: randomised controlled trialPedro L Alonso
Centre de Salut Internacional, Hospital Clinic IDIBAPS, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Lancet 364:1411-20. 2004..RTS,S/AS02A is a pre-erythrocytic vaccine candidate based on Plasmodium falciparum circumsporozoite surface antigen. We aimed to assess vaccine efficacy, immunogenicity, and safety in young African children...
- Protection of humans against malaria by immunization with radiation-attenuated Plasmodium falciparum sporozoitesStephen L Hoffman
Malaria Program, Naval Medical Research Center, 503 Robert Grant Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20850, USA
J Infect Dis 185:1155-64. 2002....
- Pre-erythrocytic malaria vaccines to prevent Plasmodium falciparum malariaW Ripley Ballou
MedImmune Inc, Gaithersburg, MD, USA
Chem Immunol 80:253-61. 2002
- Development and pre-clinical analysis of a Plasmodium falciparum Merozoite Surface Protein-1(42) malaria vaccineEvelina Angov
Department of Immunology, WRAIR, 503 Robert Grant Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 128:195-204. 2003..FMP1 formulated with GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals (GSK) adjuvant, AS02A or alum was safe and immunogenic in rhesus (Macaca mulatta) monkeys...
- Phase 2a trial of 0, 1, and 3 month and 0, 7, and 28 day immunization schedules of malaria vaccine RTS,S/AS02 in malaria-naïve adults at the Walter Reed Army Institute of ResearchKent E Kester
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, 503 Robert Grant Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Vaccine 26:2191-202. 2008....
- Protective immunity induced with malaria vaccine, RTS,S, is linked to Plasmodium falciparum circumsporozoite protein-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T cells producing IFN-gammaPeifang Sun
Department of Immunology, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
J Immunol 171:6961-7. 2003..Field-based malaria vaccine studies are in progress to validate the establishment of this cellular response as a possible in vitro correlate of protective immunity to exo-erythrocytic stage malaria vaccines...
- Safety and immunogenicity of rts,s+trap malaria vaccine, formulated in the as02a adjuvant system, in infant rhesus monkeysDouglas S Walsh
Department of Immunology and Medicine, U S Army Medical Component, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangkok, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 70:499-509. 2004..RTS,S+TRAP/AS02A was safe and well tolerated. Vigorous antibody production and modest, selective cell-mediated immune responses suggest that RTS,S+TRAP/AS02A may be immunogenic in human infants...
- Pre-clinical evaluation of the malaria vaccine candidate P. falciparum MSP1(42) formulated with novel adjuvants or with alumSathit Pichyangkul
Department of Immunology and Medicine, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Science AFRIMS, Bangkok, Thailand
Vaccine 22:3831-40. 2004..The notable difference in Th1/Th2 polarization induced by the AS02A and AS01B formulations warrants comparative clinical testing...
- Devices for rapid diagnosis of Malaria: evaluation of prototype assays that detect Plasmodium falciparum histidine-rich protein 2 and a Plasmodium vivax-specific antigenJ Russ Forney
United States Military Academy, West Point, New York, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:2358-66. 2003..vivax were 0.8907 and 0.8522, respectively. These findings indicate that assays for rapid diagnosis have the potential to enhance diagnostic capabilities in those instances in which skilled microscopy is not readily available...
- Safety of the RTS,S/AS02A malaria vaccine in Mozambican children during a Phase IIb trialJahit Sacarlal
Centro de Investigação em Saúde de Manhiça, Manhiça, Mozambique
Vaccine 26:174-84. 2008..Overall, these results indicate that the RTS,S/AS02A vaccine has a good safety profile and well tolerated when given in three doses to semi-immune children living in malaria-endemic areas...
- Safety and immunogenicity of a recombinant parvovirus B19 vaccine formulated with MF59C.1W Ripley Ballou
Clinical Development, MedImmune, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20878, USA
J Infect Dis 187:675-8. 2003..5 or 25 microg MEDI-491 at 0, 1, and 6 months. MEDI-491 was safe and immunogenic. All volunteers developed neutralizing antibody titers that peaked after the third immunization and were sustained through study day 364...
- Development of a recombinant FimCH vaccine for urinary tract infectionsSolomon Langermann
MedImmune, Inc, Gaithersburg, MD, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 539:635-48. 2003
- A phase I/IIa safety, immunogenicity, and efficacy bridging randomized study of a two-dose regimen of liquid and lyophilized formulations of the candidate malaria vaccine RTS,S/AS02A in malaria-naïve adultsKent E Kester
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, 503 Robert Grant Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Vaccine 25:5359-66. 2007..The two formulations of RTS,S were equally safe and immunogenic, and the lyophilized formulation showed similar levels of efficacy against sporozoite challenge to that conferred by the liquid formulation in previous studies...