Affiliation: Ghent University
- Historical processes constrain patterns in global diatom diversityWim Vyverman
Ghent University, Biology Department, Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Krijgslaan 281 S8, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Ecology 88:1924-31. 2007....
- In search of new tractable diatoms for experimental biologyVictor A Chepurnov
Department of Biology, Gent University, Belgium
Bioessays 30:692-702. 2008..We illustrate the results of our efforts to select and develop experimental systems in diatoms, using species with typical life cycle attributes, which could be used as future model organisms to complement existing ones...
- Lack of phylogeographic structure in the freshwater cyanobacterium Microcystis aeruginosa suggests global dispersalIneke van Gremberghe
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
PLoS ONE 6:e19561. 2011..Being widely distributed on a global scale but patchily on a regional scale, this prokaryote is an ideal model organism to study microbial dispersal and biogeography...
- Genome-wide analysis of the diatom cell cycle unveils a novel type of cyclins involved in environmental signalingMarie J J Huysman
Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Department of Biology, Ghent University, Krijgslaan 281 S8, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Genome Biol 11:R17. 2010..The recent genome sequencing of Thalassiosira pseudonana and Phaeodactylum tricornutum allows us to explore the molecular conservation of cell cycle regulation in diatoms...
- Hidden levels of phylodiversity in Antarctic green algae: further evidence for the existence of glacial refugiaAaike De Wever
Laboratory for Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Gent University, Krijgslaan 281 S8, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Proc Biol Sci 276:3591-9. 2009..The variation in branch length and estimated age points to several independent but rare colonization events...
- Strong effects of amoebae grazing on the biomass and genetic structure of a Microcystis bloom (Cyanobacteria)Jeroen Van Wichelen
Research group Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Ghent University, Krijgslaan 281 S8, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Environ Microbiol 12:2797-813. 2010..These findings demonstrate a strong impact of small protozoan grazers on the biomass and genetic structure of Microcystis blooms...
- Physiological and transcriptomic evidence for a close coupling between chloroplast ontogeny and cell cycle progression in the pennate diatom Seminavis robustaJeroen Gillard
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Department of Biology, Ghent University, B 9000 Gent, Belgium
Plant Physiol 148:1394-411. 2008..robusta is tightly regulated...
- Genetic divergence and reproductive barriers among morphologically heterogeneous sympatric clones of Eunotia bilunaris sensu lato (Bacillariophyta)Pieter Vanormelingen
Laboratory for Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Biology Department, Ghent University, Krijgslaan 281 S8, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Protist 159:73-90. 2008....
- Priority effects in experimental populations of the cyanobacterium MicrocystisIneke van Gremberghe
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Ghent University, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Environ Microbiol 11:2564-73. 2009..Our results indicate that priority effects may have a profound impact on strain composition of Microcystis populations...
- Molecular evidence for distinct Antarctic lineages in the cosmopolitan terrestrial diatoms Pinnularia borealis and Hantzschia amphioxysCaroline Souffreau
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Ghent University, Krijgslaan 281 S8, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Protist 164:101-15. 2013..Together, this suggests that many presumed cosmopolitan Antarctic diatom species are in fact species complexes, possibly containing Antarctic endemics with low temperature preferences...
- Dispersal-mediated trophic interactions can generate apparent patterns of dispersal limitation in aquatic metacommunitiesDino Verreydt
Laboratory of Aquatic Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, K U Leuven, Charles Deberiotstraat 32, Leuven, Belgium
Ecol Lett 15:218-26. 2012..Our results indicate that metacommunity patterns emerging from dispersal can cascade through the food web and generate patterns of apparent dispersal limitation in organisms at other trophic levels...
- Limits to gene flow in a cosmopolitan marine planktonic diatomGriet Casteleyn
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Biology Department, Ghent University, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:12952-7. 2010..A better understanding of the factors that control population structuring is thus essential to reveal the role of allopatric speciation in marine microorganisms...
- Planktonic ciliate community structure in shallow lakes of lowland Western EuropeJeroen Van Wichelen
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Ghent University, Krijgslaan 281 S8, 9000 Gent, Belgium Electronic address
Eur J Protistol 49:538-51. 2013..These results stress the importance of the ecosystem structure in shaping ciliate communities in temperate shallow lakes and suggest that nutrient status has little direct effect on ciliate community structure in such lakes. ..
- Natural hybrids in the marine diatom Pseudo-nitzschia pungens (Bacillariophyceae): genetic and morphological evidenceGriet Casteleyn
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Biology Department, Ghent University, Krijgslaan 281 S8, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Protist 160:343-54. 2009....
- A time-calibrated multi-gene phylogeny of the diatom genus PinnulariaCaroline Souffreau
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Ghent University, Krijgslaan 281 S8, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Mol Phylogenet Evol 61:866-79. 2011..The Pinnularia-Caloneis complex is estimated to have diverged between the Upper Cretaceous and the early Eocene, implying a ghost range of at least 10 million year (Ma) in the fossil record...
- Metabolomics enables the structure elucidation of a diatom sex pheromoneJeroen Gillard
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Department of Biology, Ghent University, 9000 Gent Belgium http www pae ugent be academic html Present address J Craig Venter Institute, San Diego, CA 92121 USA
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 52:854-7. 2013..When the metabolic profiles of sexually active and inactive cells were compared, a highly up-regulated metabolite generated in the attracting mating type was identified as di-L-prolyl diketopiperazine, the first diatom pheromone...
- Covariation between zooplankton community composition and cyanobacterial community dynamics in Lake Blaarmeersen (Belgium)Ineke van Gremberghe
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Department of Biology, Ghent University, Krijgslaan 281 S8, Ghent, Belgium
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 63:222-37. 2008....
- Linkage mapping identifies the sex determining region as a single locus in the Pennate diatom Seminavis robustaIves Vanstechelman
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Department of Biology, Ghent University, Gent, Belgium
PLoS ONE 8:e60132. 2013..The mating type phenotype mapped as a monogenic trait, disclosing the mating type plus as the heterogametic sex. This study provides the first evidence for a genetic sex determining mechanism in a diatom...
- The power of species sorting: local factors drive bacterial community composition over a wide range of spatial scalesKatleen Van der Gucht
Section of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Department of Biology WE11, Universiteit Gent, Krijgslaan 281 S8, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:20404-9. 2007..We suggest that the fast population growth rates of bacteria facilitate efficient species sorting along environmental gradients in bacterial communities over a very broad range of dispersal rates...
- Phylogenetic analysis of partial bacterial 16S rDNA sequences of tropical grass pasture soil under Acacia tortilis subsp. raddiana in SenegalMoudjahidou Demba Diallo
Laboratorium voor Microbiologie WE10, Universiteit Gent, K L Ledeganckstraat 35, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Syst Appl Microbiol 27:238-52. 2004..Within the Gammaproteobacteria we found a shift between the dry season and the rainy season from pseudomonads to Acinetobacter and Escherichia related organisms...
- Characterization of bacterial communities in four freshwater lakes differing in nutrient load and food web structureKatleen Van der Gucht
Department of Biology WE11, Section Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Universiteit Gent, Belgium
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 53:205-20. 2005..Correlating our DGGE data with environmental parameters, using the BIOENV procedure, suggests that differences are partly related to the equilibrium state of the lake...
- Protein degradation during the diatom cell cycle: Annotation and transcriptional analysis of SCF and APC/C ubiquitin ligase genes in Phaeodactylum tricornutumMarie J J Huysman
Department of Plant Systems Biology, VIB, B 9052 Gent, Belgium Department of Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, Ghent University, B 9052 Gent, Belgium Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Department of Biology, Ghent University, B 9000 Gent, Belgium
Mar Genomics 14:39-46. 2014..Thus, it appears that in analogy with what is known in other organisms, tight post-translational control of the diatom cyclins might contribute to the well-coordinated cell cycle progression. ..
- Bacterial Diversity Assessment in Antarctic Terrestrial and Aquatic Microbial Mats: A Comparison between Bidirectional Pyrosequencing and CultivationBjorn Tytgat
Laboratory for Microbiology, Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
PLoS ONE 9:e97564. 2014..Finally, a high number of OTUs could not be classified using the RDP reference database, suggesting the presence of a large amount of novel diversity. ..
- AUREOCHROME1a-mediated induction of the diatom-specific cyclin dsCYC2 controls the onset of cell division in diatoms (Phaeodactylum tricornutum)Marie J J Huysman
Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Department of Biology, Ghent University, B 9000 Gent, Belgium
Plant Cell 25:215-28. 2013....
- Bacterial community composition in Lake Tanganyika: vertical and horizontal heterogeneityAaike De Wever
Ghent University, Department Biology, Section Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:5029-37. 2005..The number of bands per sample increased with bacterial production in the epilimnion of the lake, suggesting a positive diversity-productivity relationship...
- Release of dissolved carbohydrates by Emiliania huxleyi and formation of transparent exopolymer particles depend on algal life cycle and bacterial activityNicolas Van Oostende
Research group Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Department of Biology, Ghent University, Krijgslaan 281 S8, B 9000, Gent, Belgium
Environ Microbiol 15:1514-31. 2013..huxleyi blooms increase the efficiency of export production in the ocean during dissolved phosphate-limited conditions...
- Daily bursts of biogenic cyanogen bromide (BrCN) control biofilm formation around a marine benthic diatomBart Vanelslander
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Department of Biology, Ghent University, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:2412-7. 2012..This strategy is a highly effective means of biofilm control and may provide an explanation for the poorly understood role of volatile halocarbons from marine algae, which contribute significantly to the atmospheric halocarbon budget...
- Experimental studies on sexual reproduction in diatomsVictor A Chepurnov
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Department of Biology, Ghent University, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Int Rev Cytol 237:91-154. 2004..g., for Thalassiosira pseudonana). Problems of culture maintenance and methods for manipulating the life cycle are discussed...
- Haloperoxidase Mediated Quorum Quenching by Nitzschia cf pellucida: Study of the Metabolization of N-Acyl Homoserine Lactones by a Benthic DiatomMichail Syrpas
Department of Sustainable Organic Chemistry and Technology, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, Ghent B 9000, Belgium
Mar Drugs 12:352-67. 2014..It has been demonstrated that the loss of the QS activity results from the final cleavage of the halogenated N-acyl chain of the signal molecules. ..
- Sulphur levels in saliva as an estimation of sulphur status in cattle: a validation studyVeronique Dermauw
Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Merelbeke, Belgium
Arch Anim Nutr 66:507-13. 2012..83 (±4.59) x + 0.39 (±4.56) (r = 0.497, p = 0.05), but left too much residual variation to serve as reliable predictor. Further research should investigate this relationship in the search for an S status estimator...
- Transcriptional analysis of cell growth and morphogenesis in the unicellular green alga Micrasterias (Streptophyta), with emphasis on the role of expansinKatrijn Vannerum
Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, Department of Biology, Ghent University, 9000 Gent, Belgium
BMC Plant Biol 11:128. 2011....
- The metabolic blueprint of Phaeodactylum tricornutum reveals a eukaryotic Entner-Doudoroff glycolytic pathwayMichele Fabris
Department of Plant Systems Biology, VIB, B 9052 Gent, Belgium
Plant J 70:1004-14. 2012..We anticipate that DiatomCyc will be key to gaining further understanding of diatom metabolism and, ultimately, will feed metabolic engineering strategies for the industrial valorization of diatoms...
- A single bioavailability model can accurately predict Ni toxicity to green microalgae in soft and hard surface watersNele M E Deleebeeck
Laboratory of Environmental Toxicology and Aquatic Ecology, Ghent University, Jozef Plateaustraat 22, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Water Res 43:1935-47. 2009..A single bioavailability model can therefore be used to predict Ni toxicity to green microalgae in soft and hard surface waters as a function of water hardness...
- Polymerase chain reaction denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis analysis of the N2-fixing bacterial diversity in soil under Acacia tortilis ssp. raddiana and Balanites aegyptiaca in the dryland part of SenegalMoudjahidou Demba Diallo
Laboratorium voor Microbiologie WE10V, Universiteit Gent, K L Ledeganckstraat 35, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Environ Microbiol 6:400-15. 2004..For both trees, there were also clear differences between the samples taken in the dry and rainy seasons. Only for the samples taken under A. tortilis ssp. raddiana was a significant difference found between the two sampling depths...
- Relationship between bacterial community composition and bottom-up versus top-down variables in four eutrophic shallow lakesKoenraad Muylaert
Department of Biology Department of Microbiology, University Ghent, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:4740-50. 2002..Our results suggest that in eutrophic shallow lakes, seasonality of bacterial community structure is dependent on the dominant substrate source as well as on the food web structure...