Affiliation: Ghent University
- Interruption of reverse transcriptase inhibitors or a switch from reverse transcriptase to protease inhibitors resulted in a fast reappearance of virus strains with a reverse transcriptase inhibitor-sensitive genotypeC Verhofstede
AIDS Reference Laboratory, University Hospital, Gent, Belgium
AIDS 13:2541-6. 1999..To study the effect of the interruption of reverse transriptase inhibitor (RTI) therapy or a switch from RTI to protease inhibitors, on the genotypic drug-resistance pattern of plasma HIV-1...
- Diversity of the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) env sequence after vertical transmission in mother-child pairs infected with HIV-1 subtype AChris Verhofstede
AIDS Reference Laboratory, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
J Virol 77:3050-7. 2003..Phylogenetic tree topologies argue against selection processes as the major mechanism driving mother-to-child transmission but support the hypothesis that virus variability is mainly driven by the inoculum level and/or exposure time...
- Line probe assay for rapid detection of drug-selected mutations in the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 reverse transcriptase geneL Stuyver
Innogenetics N V, Ghent, Belgium
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 41:284-91. 1997..When combined with changes in viral load and CD4+ T-cell count, this LiPA approach proved to be useful in studying genetic resistance in follow-up samples from antiretroviral agent-treated HIV-1-infected individuals...
- The AIDS epidemic: the spread of a deadly disease in the biotech eraA Noe
AIDS Reference Laboratory, Ghent University Hospital, Gent, Belgium
J Biol Regul Homeost Agents 18:178-82. 2004..Vaccine development, which is still far from promising, is probably the only way to control the disease in the future...
- Concordance between HIV-1 genotypic coreceptor tropism predictions based on plasma RNA and proviral DNAC Verhofstede
AIDS Reference Laboratory and AIDS Reference Centre, Ghent University and Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
HIV Med 12:544-52. 2011..The aim of the study was to evaluate the use of proviral DNA as a source of viral genetic material for genotypic coreceptor tropism testing (GTT)...
- Human immunodeficiency virus nef gene expression affects generation and function of human T cells, but not dendritic cellsB Verhasselt
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Ghent, University Hospital of Ghent, Ghent, Belgium
Blood 94:2809-18. 1999..Mature dendritic cells (DC) were functional and had normal surface CD4 levels despite nef expression. Thus, nef expression alone may contribute to AIDS development by reduced T-cell generation and T-cell hyperresponsiveness...
- Vaginal lavage with chlorhexidine during labour to reduce mother-to-child HIV transmission: clinical trial in Mombasa, KenyaP Gaillard
International Centre for Reproductive Health, University of Ghent, Belgium
AIDS 15:389-96. 2001..However, the data suggest that lavage before the membranes are ruptured might be associated with a reduction of MTCT, especially with higher concentrations of chlorhexidine...
- Prevalence of genotypic resistance among antiretroviral drug-naive HIV-1-infected patients in BelgiumK Van Vaerenbergh
Rega Institute for Medical Research, University of Leuven, Belgium
Antivir Ther 6:63-70. 2001..3% and 22%, which were based on sequencing methods. According to the European guidelines for resistance testing, resistance testing in Belgium before starting antiviral therapy should be considered...