Affiliation: Ghent University
- Herrmann D, Pohlabeln H, Gianfagna F, Konstabel K, Lissner L, MÃ¥rild S, et al. Association between bone stiffness and nutritional biomarkers combined with weight-bearing exercise, physical activity, and sedentary time in preadolescent children. A case-control study. Bone. 2015;78:142-9 pubmed publisher..5 mmol/l) or lower 25OHD (<43.0 nmol/l). ..
- Sioen I, Michels N, Polfliet C, De Smet S, D Haese S, Roggen I, et al. The influence of dairy consumption, sedentary behaviour and physical activity on bone mass in Flemish children: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2015;15:717 pubmed publisher..Promoting regular PA and sufficient dairy consumption in young children and limiting SB can be expected to positively influence their bone mass accumulation, which can help in the prevention of osteoporosis later in life. ..
- Heyndrickx E, Sioen I, Huybrechts B, Callebaut A, de Henauw S, De Saeger S. Human biomonitoring of multiple mycotoxins in the Belgian population: Results of the BIOMYCO study. Environ Int. 2015;84:82-9 pubmed publisher..The risk assessment based on these data indicates a potential concern for a number of individuals whereby young children need special attention because of the relatively higher food intake per kg body weight. ..
- Herrmann D, Buck C, Sioen I, Kouride Y, Marild S, MolnÃ¡r D, et al. Impact of physical activity, sedentary behaviour and muscle strength on bone stiffness in 2-10-year-old children-cross-sectional results from the IDEFICS study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015;12:112 pubmed publisher..Our results support the importance of assessing accelerometer-based PA in large-scale studies. This may be important when deriving dose-response relationships between PA and bone health in children. ..
- Hunsberger M, Mehlig K, BÃ¶rnhorst C, Hebestreit A, Moreno L, Veidebaum T, et al. Dietary Carbohydrate and Nocturnal Sleep Duration in Relation to Children's BMI: Findings from the IDEFICS Study in Eight European Countries. Nutrients. 2015;7:10223-36 pubmed publisher..Reduced carbohydrate intake, especially during morning and midday meals, and following nocturnal sleep duration recommendations are two modifiable factors that may protect children from being overweight in the future. ..
- De Decker A, Sioen I, Verbeken S, Braet C, Michels N, de Henauw S. Associations of reward sensitivity with food consumption, activity pattern, and BMI in children. Appetite. 2016;100:189-96 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that considering inter-individual differences in reward sensitivity is of importance in future childhood obesity prevention campaigns. ..
- Aznar Alemany Ò, Trabalón L, Jacobs S, Barbosa V, Tejedor M, Granby K, et al. Occurrence of halogenated flame retardants in commercial seafood species available in European markets. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;104:35-47 pubmed publisher..However, a refined risk assessment for BDE-99 is of interest in the future. Moreover, the cooking process concentrated PBDEs and HBB. ..
- Sioen I, Lust E, De Henauw S, Moreno L, JimÃ©nez PavÃ³n D. Associations Between Body Composition and Bone Health in Children and Adolescents: A Systematic Review. Calcif Tissue Int. 2016;99:557-577 pubmed
- De Decker A, De Clercq B, Verbeken S, Wells J, Braet C, Michels N, et al. Fat and lean tissue accretion in relation to reward motivation in children. Appetite. 2017;108:317-325 pubmed publisher..These results may help to identify appropriate targets for interventions for obesity prevention. ..
- Jacobs S, Sioen I, Jacxsens L, Domingo J, Sloth J, Marques A, et al. Risk assessment of methylmercury in five European countries considering the national seafood consumption patterns. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;104:26-34 pubmed publisher..Policy makers may adopt the results of this study in order to develop consumer advices that optimise health benefits versus potential health risks by providing species-specific information. ..
- Tubic B, Magnusson P, MÃ¥rild S, Leu M, Schwetz V, Sioen I, et al. Different osteocalcin forms, markers of metabolic syndrome and anthropometric measures in children within the IDEFICS cohort. Bone. 2016;84:230-236 pubmed publisher..OC has been suggested to have a possible metabolic role, but in general the current study in prepubertal children does not support the hypothesis of an association between OC and a positive metabolic profile. ..
- Van den Bussche K, Herrmann D, de Henauw S, Kourides Y, Lauria F, Marild S, et al. Urinary Mineral Concentrations in European Pre-Adolescent Children and Their Association with Calcaneal Bone Quantitative Ultrasound Measurements. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13: pubmed publisher..These findings should be confirmed in longitudinal studies that include the food intake and repeated measurement of urinary mineral concentrations to better estimate usual intake and minimize bias. ..
- Govarts E, Remy S, Bruckers L, Den Hond E, Sioen I, Nelen V, et al. Combined Effects of Prenatal Exposures to Environmental Chemicals on Birth Weight. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13: pubmed publisher..In conclusion, birth weight was consistently inversely associated with exposure to pollutant mixtures. Chemicals not showing significant associations at single pollutant level contributed to stronger effects when analyzed as mixtures. ..
- Jacobs S, Sioen I, Marques A, Verbeke W. Consumer response to health and environmental sustainability information regarding seafood consumption. Environ Res. 2018;161:492-504 pubmed publisher..Different stakeholders may take the results of this communication strategy into account and, consequently, contribute to a seafood supply and related communication that supports public health and the marine environment. ..