Affiliation: Ghent University
- Piepers S, Opsomer G, Meyer E, Demeyere K, Barkema H, de Kruif A, et al. Heifer and quarter characteristics associated with periparturient blood and milk neutrophil apoptosis in healthy heifers and in heifers with subclinical mastitis. J Dairy Sci. 2009;92:4330-9 pubmed publisher....
- Piepers S, Opsomer G, Barkema H, de Kruif A, De Vliegher S. Heifers infected with coagulase-negative staphylococci in early lactation have fewer cases of clinical mastitis and higher milk production in their first lactation than noninfected heifers. J Dairy Sci. 2010;93:2014-24 pubmed publisher..6 vs. 21.0%) during first lactation compared with noninfected heifers. We conclude that although CNS cause the majority of IMI in heifers around calving, they should not be a reason for serious concern. ..
- Piepers S, Peeters K, Opsomer G, Barkema H, Frankena K, De Vliegher S. Pathogen group specific risk factors at herd, heifer and quarter levels for intramammary infections in early lactating dairy heifers. Prev Vet Med. 2011;99:91-101 pubmed publisher....
- Piepers S, De Vliegher S. Oral supplementation of medium-chain fatty acids during the dry period supports the neutrophil viability of peripartum dairy cows. J Dairy Res. 2013;80:309-18 pubmed publisher..The results should trigger research to further unravel the mechanisms behind the observed immunomodulating effect, and the potential relevance for the cows' performances throughout lactation. ..
- Meganck V, Opsomer G, Piepers S, Cox E, Goddeeris B. Maternal colostral leukocytes appear to enhance cell-mediated recall response, but inhibit humoral recall response in prime-boost vaccinated calves. J Reprod Immunol. 2016;113:68-75 pubmed publisher....
- Piepers S, Prenafeta A, Verbeke J, De Visscher A, March R, De Vliegher S. Immune response after an experimental intramammary challenge with killed Staphylococcus aureus in cows and heifers vaccinated and not vaccinated with Startvac, a polyvalent mastitis vaccine. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:769-782 pubmed publisher..aureus bacteria, resulting in a more efficient elimination of the bacteria from the mammary gland. ..