Affiliation: Ghent University
- Lepez T, Vandewoestyne M, Van Hoofstat D, Deforce D. Fast nuclear staining of head hair roots as a screening method for successful STR analysis in forensics. Forensic Sci Int Genet. 2014;13:191-4 pubmed publisher..The fast staining method was applied in 36 forensic cases on 279 hairs in total. A fast screening method using DAPI can be used to increase the success rate of hair analysis in forensics. ..
- Heindryckx B, Neupane J, Vandewoestyne M, Christodoulou C, Jackers Y, Gerris J, et al. Mutation-free baby born from a mitochondrial encephalopathy, lactic acidosis and stroke-like syndrome carrier after blastocyst trophectoderm preimplantation genetic diagnosis. Mitochondrion. 2014;18:12-7 pubmed publisher..95). This is the first case of mutation-free baby born from a MELAS patient after TE biopsy and supports the applicability of blastocyst PGD for patients with mtDNA disorders to establish healthy offspring. ..
- Vossaert L, Meert P, Scheerlinck E, Glibert P, Van Roy N, Heindryckx B, et al. Identification of histone H3 clipping activity in human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cell Res. 2014;13:123-34 pubmed publisher..Contrary to earlier findings on H3 clipping, our results disconnect the link between declining Oct4 expression and H3 cleavage. ..
- Sass A, Van Acker H, FÃ¶rstner K, Van Nieuwerburgh F, Deforce D, Vogel J, et al. Genome-wide transcription start site profiling in biofilm-grown Burkholderia cenocepacia J2315. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:775 pubmed publisher..Genes and novel regulatory RNAs putatively involved in B. cenocepacia biofilm formation were identified. These findings will help in understanding regulation of B. cenocepacia biofilm formation. ..
- Heras S, De Coninck D, Van Poucke M, Goossens K, Bogado Pascottini O, Van Nieuwerburgh F, et al. Suboptimal culture conditions induce more deviations in gene expression in male than female bovine blastocysts. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:72 pubmed publisher..Male embryos appeared to be most affected by suboptimal in vitro culture, i.e. in the presence of serum. ..
- Scheerlinck E, Van Steendam K, Daled S, Govaert E, Vossaert L, Meert P, et al. Assessing the impact of minimizing arginine conversion in fully defined SILAC culture medium in human embryonic stem cells. Proteomics. 2016;16:2605-2614 pubmed publisher..However, our subsequent ion mobility assisted data-independent acquisition (high-definition MS) proteome analysis cautions for ongoing changes in the proteome when aiming at longer term suppression of arginine conversion. ..
- Soetaert S, Van Neste C, Vandewoestyne M, Head S, Goossens A, Van Nieuwerburgh F, et al. Differential transcriptome analysis of glandular and filamentous trichomes in Artemisia annua. BMC Plant Biol. 2013;13:220 pubmed publisher..Candidate genes that might be involved in artemisinin biosynthesis are proposed based on their putative function and their differential expression level. ..
- Fraiture M, Herman P, Papazova N, De Loose M, Deforce D, Ruttink T, et al. An integrated strategy combining DNA walking and NGS to detect GMOs. Food Chem. 2017;232:351-358 pubmed publisher..In all tested samples, the presence of multiple GMOs was unambiguously proven by the characterization of transgene flanking regions and the combinations of elements that are typical for transgene constructs. ..
- Glibert P, Vossaert L, Van Steendam K, Lambrecht S, Van Nieuwerburgh F, Offner F, et al. Quantitative proteomics to characterize specific histone H2A proteolysis in chronic lymphocytic leukemia and the myeloid THP-1 cell line. Int J Mol Sci. 2014;15:9407-21 pubmed publisher..Our subsequent quantitative analysis led to a more profound characterization of the clipping in acute monocytic leukemia THP-1 cells subjected to induced differentiation. ..
- Goetstouwers T, Van Poucke M, Coddens A, Nguyen V, Melkebeek V, Deforce D, et al. Variation in 12 porcine genes involved in the carbohydrate moiety assembly of glycosphingolipids does not account for differential binding of F4 Escherichia coli and their fimbriae. BMC Genet. 2014;15:103 pubmed publisher..We conclude that no regulatory or structural variation in any of the investigated genes is responsible for the genetic susceptibility of pigs towards F4 ETEC. ..
- Fraiture M, Herman P, LefÃ¨vre L, Taverniers I, De Loose M, Deforce D, et al. Integrated DNA walking system to characterize a broad spectrum of GMOs in food/feed matrices. BMC Biotechnol. 2015;15:76 pubmed publisher..In providing crucial information about the transgene flanking regions and/or the transgenic cassettes, this DNA walking strategy is a key molecular tool to prove the presence of GMOs in any given food/feed matrix. ..
- Broeckx B, Coopman F, Verhoeven G, Bosmans T, Gielen I, Dingemanse W, et al. An heuristic filtering tool to identify phenotype-associated genetic variants applied to human intellectual disability and canine coat colors. BMC Bioinformatics. 2015;16:391 pubmed publisher..The software and a detailed manual are available at https://github.com/BartBroeckx/Mendelian. ..
- Broeckx B, Peelman L, Saunders J, Deforce D, Clement L. Using variant databases for variant prioritization and to detect erroneous genotype-phenotype associations. BMC Bioinformatics. 2017;18:535 pubmed publisher..In addition, the quantile-based approach can also be used for variant flagging. For user friendliness, lookup tables and easy-to-use R calculators are provided. ..
- Van Steendam K, Tilleman K, De Ceuleneer M, De Keyser F, Elewaut D, Deforce D. Citrullinated vimentin as an important antigen in immune complexes from synovial fluid of rheumatoid arthritis patients with antibodies against citrullinated proteins. Arthritis Res Ther. 2010;12:R132 pubmed publisher..The identification of citrullinated vimentin as a prominent citrullinated antigen in IC from SF of ACPA+ RA patients strengthens the hypothesis that citrullinated vimentin plays an important role in the pathogenesis of RA. ..