- Community volunteers can improve breastfeeding among children under six months of age in the Democratic Republic of Congo crisisGhislain B Balaluka
Centre de Recherche en Sciences Naturelles de Lwiro CRSN, Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo
Int Breastfeed J 7:2. 2012..abstract:..
- Randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial of the effect of a single high dose or daily low doses of vitamin A on the morbidity of hospitalized, malnourished childrenP Donnen
School of Public Health, the Centre Scientifique et Médical de l Université Libre de Bruxelles pour ses Activités de Coopération, the Hôpital Universitaire Des Enfants Reine Fabiola, Belgium
Am J Clin Nutr 68:1254-60. 1998..Supplementation with high doses of vitamin A did not reduce morbidity in this population of malnourished and subclinically vitamin A-deficient children; daily, low doses appeared more beneficial for severely malnourished children...
- Effect of daily low dose of vitamin A compared with single high dose on morbidity and mortality of hospitalized mainly malnourished children in senegal: a randomized controlled clinical trialP Donnen
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, School of Public Health, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Clin Nutr 61:1393-9. 2007..High-dose VA supplements are recommended as part of the treatment but results on its effect on recovery from morbidity and on prevention from nosocomial morbidity are conflicting...
- The molar ratio of serum retinol-binding protein (RBP) to transthyretin (TTR) is not useful to assess vitamin A status during infection in hospitalised childrenP Donnen
School of Public Health, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Clin Nutr 55:1043-7. 2001..To assess the usefulness of the molar ratio of serum retinol-binding protein (RBP) to transthyretin (TTR) to determine vitamin A (VA) status during infection...
- Community-acquired bacteremia among hospitalized children in rural central AfricaP Bahwere
Centre de Recherche en Sciences Naturelles, Lwiro, Democratic Republic of Congo
Int J Infect Dis 5:180-8. 2001..To describe the epidemiology of community-acquired bacteremia in children admitted to a rural hospital in central Africa and to identify useful diagnostic signs or symptoms...
- [Malaria infection and nutritional status: results from a cohort survey of children from 6-59 months old in the Kivu province, Democratic Republic of the Congo]P N Mitangala
Ecole de Santé Publique, Département de Biostatistique, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Campus Erasme, Route de Lennik 808, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 61:111-20. 2013..The relationship between malaria and malnutrition remains a topic of controversy. We aimed to investigate malaria infection according to nutritional status in a community-based survey...
- [Management of severe acute malnutrition in an urban nutritional rehabilitation center in Burkina Faso]L Savadogo
Département de Biostatistique, Ecole de Santé Publique, CP 598, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Bruxelles, Belgium
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 55:265-74. 2007..Recent success of community-based therapeutic care put back on agenda the management of acute severe malnutrition. We analysed key issues of inpatient management of severe malnutrition to suggest appropriate global approach...
- [Effect of systematic vitamin A supplementation on persistent diarrhea in Senegal: single high dose versus small daily doses]A Sylla
Arch Pediatr 9:975-6. 2002
- [Nutritional status on admission and hospital mortality of under-five year old children with infectious diseases in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso]L G B Savadogo
Institut de recherche en sciences de la sante, BP 7047, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 50:441-51. 2002..In Burkina Faso, infectious pathologies and malnutrition are public health problems. We examined the impact of malnutrition status, using the Weight-for-age (WA) index, on mortality of children hospitalized for infectious diseases...
- [Protein-energy malnutrition and malaria-related morbidity in children under 59 months in the Kivu region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo]P Mitangala Ndeba
Departement de Biostatistiques, Ecole de Santé, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Bruxelles, Belgique
Med Trop (Mars) 68:51-7. 2008..3 (1.1-1.6)] and biological nutritional indicators [serum albumin > or = 23 g/L: OR (CI 95 %) 1.6 (1.2-2.1)]. Our findings indicate that malnourished children at admission have a lower risk of malaria infection...