- Accuracy of computer navigation in ear, nose, throat surgery: the influence of matching strategyJ Claes
Department of Ear, Nose, Throat and Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Antwerp, University of Antwerp, Belgium
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 126:1462-6. 2000..To measure the effect of 4 different matching strategies on the accuracy of computer navigation on the face and within the nose and rhinopharynx...
- Endoscopic endonasal ligation in treatment of severe posterior epistaxisJ Claes
Dept of ENT Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 54:151-6. 2000..The technique is save and efficient. Since it is also a minimally invasive technique, it has become our first choice surgical procedure for posterior epistaxis...
- A review of medical treatment for Ménière's diseaseJ Claes
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Acta Otolaryngol Suppl 544:34-9. 2000..Recent publications have proposed a role for the intratympanic use of medication, mainly aminoglycosides, for control of vertigo. We conclude this review by proposing a strategy for the medical treatment of Ménière's disease...
- Single ototopical application of mesna has no ototoxic effects on guinea pig cochlear hair cells: a morphological studyM P Van Spaendonck
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Acta Otolaryngol 119:685-9. 1999..These findings led us to conclude that, at least on a morphological basis, no indications are at hand to assume ototoxic effects of this mucolytic substance due to a single application during cholesteatoma surgery...
- Specific medical and surgical treatment for chronic inflammatory diseases in childrenA Boudewyns
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
B-ENT 8:135-66. 2012..In addition, the role of vaccinations and immunomodulatory therapies is discussed. Whenever possible, the evidence levels for specific treatments comply with the Oxford Levels of Evidence...
- Stridor due to a bridge-like subglottic stenosis in a 10-week-old male infantJ J S van Dinther
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Antwerp University Hospital, University of Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 73:159-62. 2009..Follow up endoscopy showed a grade 1 posterior subglottic stenosis without respiratory compromise. This is the first case in the literature of an infant with a post-intubation bridge-like fibrinoid pseudomembranous subglottic lesion...
- Outcome of septorhinoplasty: a comparison of patient and surgeon viewsG Claes
ENT Department, Antwerp University Hospital, University of Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
B-ENT 5:203-11. 2009..The assessment focused on six well-defined characteristics of the nose: profile, width of the osteocartilaginous dorsum, symmetry, nasal tip, nostrils and nasal patency. Patient and surgeon assessments were compared...
- Osteogenesis imperfecta and hearing lossM Verstreken
Department of E.N.T, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 50:91-8. 1996..The genetics of OI and the complexity in correlating genetics with clinical classifications is elucidated. Finally, the findings reported after middle ear surgery, the results of surgery and comparisons with otosclerosis are reviewed...
- Acute cochleovestibular toxicity due to topical application of potassium iodideA Boudewyns
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 258:109-11. 2001..The mechanisms of ototoxicity after topical application of solutions are discussed with emphasis on the particular features of the present case: a patulous Eustachian tube syndrome and the presence of a tympanostomy tube in the left ear...
- Case report: olfactory loss and unrelated chronic rhinosinusitisG Claes
ENT Department, University Hospital of Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
B-ENT 3:101-4. 2007..The tumour was finally diagnosed on MR imaging. The paper discusses the practical management of patients presenting with olfactory dysfunction...
- Tuberculosis in the middle ear: 5 case reportsK De Paep
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 43:321-6. 1989..Altering features include racial predisposition, contact or personal history of past or present tuberculosis, chronicity, development of a facial palsy and the pale granulation tissue found at the operation...