Philippe Van der Linden
Affiliation: CHU Brugmann
- Sedation in gastrointestinal endoscopy: an anesthesiologist's perspectivePhilippe Van der Linden
Department of Anesthesiology, CHU Brugmann HUDERF, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Digestion 82:102-5. 2010..Although further evaluation is needed, computer-assisted systems might contribute to the safe administration of propofol through a better control of the level of sedation...
- Tolerance to acute isovolemic hemodilution. Effect of anesthetic depthPhilippe Van der Linden
Department of Cardiac Anesthesia, CHU Charleroi, Belgium
Anesthesiology 99:97-104. 2003..Anesthetic agents with negative effects on the cardiovascular system may exert proportionately greater depressant effects on cardiac output response than on tissue oxygen demand, reducing tolerance to acute isovolemic anemia...
- 3.5% urea-linked gelatin is as effective as 6% HES 200/0.5 for volume management in cardiac surgery patientsPhilippe J Van der Linden
Department of Cardiac Anesthesia, CHU Charleroi, Charleroi, Belgium
Can J Anaesth 51:236-41. 2004..5% gelatin and 6% hydroxyethyl starch 200/0.5 in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. The second objective was to compare the two colloids in terms of blood losses and allogeneic blood transfusion exposure rate...
- Hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.4 versus modified fluid gelatin for volume expansion in cardiac surgery patients: the effects on perioperative bleeding and transfusion needsPhilippe J Van der Linden
Department of Anesthesiology, CHU Brugmann HUDERF, 4 Place Van Gehuchten, B 1020 Brussels, Belgium
Anesth Analg 101:629-34, table of contents. 2005..In the conditions of the present study, HES 130/0.4 up to 50 mL/kg is a valuable alternative to modified fluid gelatin for plasma volume expansion during and after cardiac surgery...
- Blood conservation strategies in cardiac surgeryP Van der Linden
Department of Anaesthesiology, CHU Brugmann HUDERF, Free University of Brussels, 4 Place Van Gehuchten, B 1020 Brussels, Belgium
Vox Sang 92:103-12. 2007..It implies the establishment of a reliable system, collecting data both at the surgical team and at the medical level...
- A systematic review of antifibrinolytics and massive injuryD Faraoni
Department of Anesthesiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU Brugmann Queen Fabiola Children s University Hospital QFCUH, Brussels, Belgium
Minerva Anestesiol 80:1115-22. 2014..For this reason, further studies are needed to better define the "optimal" dose scheme based on pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic studies. ..
- Transfusion trigger in critically ill patients: has the puzzle been completed?Eric Reiles
Department of Anesthesiology Centre, Hospitalo Unversitaire CHU Brugmann and Hôpital Universitaire des Enfants Reine Fabiola HUDERF, Place Van Gehuchten, B 1020, Brussels, Belgium
Crit Care 11:142. 2007..Further research should compare a symptomatic transfusion strategy to a hemoglobin-based strategy on the outcome of high risk patients...
- Recommendations in the event of a suspected transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI)P Van der Linden
Service d anesthésiologie, CHU Brugmann HUDERF, Universite Libre de Bruxelles ULB, Belgium
Acta Clin Belg 67:201-8. 2012..The clinician should pay very close attention to any change in the patient's respiratory status (cf. dyspnoea and arterial desaturation), which should be notified systematically to the haemovigilance contact person in the hospital...
- The effects of colloid solutions on hemostasisPhilippe Van der Linden
Department of Anesthesiology, CHU Brugmann HUDERF, 4 Place Van Gehuchten, B 1020 Brussels, Belgium
Can J Anaesth 53:S30-9. 2006..Although more efficacious than crystalloids, they are more expensive and can be associated with adverse effects, in particular when they interfere with the hemostatic system...
- Perioperative volume replacement in children undergoing cardiac surgery: albumin versus hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.4Christophe Hanart
Department of Anesthesiology, CHU Brugmann HUDERF, Brussels, Belgium
Crit Care Med 37:696-701. 2009..To compare 4% albumin with 6% hydroxyethyl starch (HES) 130/0.4 in terms of perioperative blood loss and intraoperative fluid requirements in children undergoing cardiac surgery...
- Continuous mixed venous and central venous oxygen saturation in cardiac surgery with cardiopulmonary bypassPierre Yves Lequeux
Department of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care Unit, CHU Tivoli, La Louviere, Belgium
Eur J Anaesthesiol 27:295-9. 2010..The influence of surgery, cardiopulmonary bypass and anaesthesia drugs on the relationship between SvO2 and ScvO2 has never been studied...
- The indication for perioperative red blood cell transfusions is a predictive risk factor for severe postoperative morbidity and mortality in children undergoing cardiac surgeryAriane Willems
Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, Department of Paediatrics, University Children s Hospital Queen Fabiola, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 45:1050-7. 2014..Sometimes, RBCs are added to the prime solution to avoid a too low haematocrit on bypass (CPB-driven transfusion). Our study investigated whether the reason for RBC transfusion might affect severe postoperative morbidity or mortality...
- Plasma fibrinogen concentration is correlated with postoperative blood loss in children undergoing cardiac surgery. A retrospective reviewDavid Faraoni
From the Department of Anaesthesiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Brugmann Queen Fabiola Children s University Hospital, Free University of Brussels DF, ADV, PVdL, Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, Queen Fabiola Children s University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium AW, Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, International Hospital Medpark, Chisinau, Republic of Moldova VS, and Department of Cardiac Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Brugmann Queen Fabiola Children s University Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium HD
Eur J Anaesthesiol 31:317-26. 2014..Fibrinogen supplementation is increasingly recommended with the use of rotational thromboelastometry (ROTEM). However, data regarding the paediatric population are sparse...
- Efficacy of allogeneic red blood cell transfusionsJean Louis Vincent
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Belgium
Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 21:209-19. 2007..In this article, several key factors influencing the systemic and regional efficacy of blood transfusion will be reviewed...
- Efficacy of tranexamic acid in paediatric cardiac surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysisDavid Faraoni
Department of Anaesthesiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Brugmann HUDERF, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 42:781-6. 2012..Evidence supporting the routine use of TXA in paediatric cardiac surgery remains weak...
- Hemodilution and anemia in patients with cardiac disease: what is the safe limit?Robert Tircoveanu
Department of Anesthesiology, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 21:66-70. 2008..Although blood transfusions are commonly used in these patients, there is little evidence that such an approach improved patients' clinical outcome...
- A double-blind, randomized, multicenter study of MP4OX for treatment of perioperative hypotension in patients undergoing primary hip arthroplasty under spinal anesthesiaPhilippe Van der Linden
Department of Anesthesiology, CHU Brugmann, Brussels, Belgium
Anesth Analg 112:759-73. 2011..In this study, we investigated the ability of MP4OX to treat hypotensive episodes. In addition, the tolerability profile of MP4OX in a large surgical population was established...
- Predictive factors for red blood cell transfusion in children undergoing noncomplex cardiac surgeryMuj Mulaj
Department of Anesthesiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Brugmann and Queen Fabiola Children s University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Ann Thorac Surg 98:662-7. 2014..This study aimed to assess predictive factors associated with RBC transfusion in children undergoing low-risk cardiac surgery with cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB)...
- Perioperative blood conservation strategies: an update for cliniciansPhilippe Van der Linden
Department of Cardiac Anesthesia, C H U Charleroi, Belgium
Can J Anaesth 50:S1-2. 2003
- Factors affecting postoperative blood loss in children undergoing cardiac surgeryDavid Faraoni
Department of Anesthesiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU Brugmann Queen Fabiola Children s University Hospital QFCUH, Free University of Brussels, 15 JJ Crocq Av, 1020, Brussels, Belgium
J Cardiothorac Surg 9:32. 2014..Additional studies are needed to define optimal pathophysiology-based management in children undergoing cardiac surgery...
- Impact of entropy monitoring on volatile anesthetic uptakeTarek El Hor
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Center of Brugmann, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Anesthesiology 118:868-73. 2013..The authors hypothesized that the use of M-Entropy monitoring (Datex-Ohmeda, Helsinki, Finland) is associated with reduced sevoflurane uptake (primary outcome) in patients undergoing major abdominal surgery...
- The effects of acute isovolemic hemodilution on oxygenation during one-lung ventilationLaszlo L Szegedi
Department of Anesthesiology 2K12, Gent University Hospital, De Pintelaan, 185, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Anesth Analg 100:15-20. 2005..01). Mild IH impairs gas exchange during OLV in COPD patients, but not in patients with normal lung function...
- Acute normovolemic hemodilution: physiology, limitations, and clinical useMarina Jamnicki
Institute of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 17:747-54. 2003
- The effects of hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.4 (6%) on blood loss and use of blood products in major surgery: a pooled analysis of randomized clinical trialsSibylle A Kozek-Langenecker
Department of Special Anesthesiology and Pain Management, Vienna Medical University, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 107:382-90. 2008..To test this hypothesis, we analyzed pooled data from all available studies in major surgery comparing 6% HES 130/0.4 and 6% HES 200/0.5 from waxy maize starch...
- Efficacy and safety of recombinant activated factor VII to control bleeding in nonhemophiliac patients: a review of 17 randomized controlled trialsJean François Hardy
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 86:1038-48. 2008..In addition, the safety of rFVIIa remains a concern. Consequently, we conclude that the generalized use of rFVIIa to prevent or to control bleeding in nonhemophiliac patients can not be recommended...
- Blood conservation and the management of perioperative blood transfusions in a patient undergoing major vascular surgery: a Self-Assessment ProgramJean François Hardy
University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Can J Anaesth 52:344-5. 2005
- [Normovolemic hemodilution and the heart]Philippe Van der Linden
Can J Anaesth 52:130-2. 2005