- Direct medical costs associated with rheumatoid arthritis in Turkey: analysis from National Claims Database
Internal Medicine, Rheumatology Department, The University of Michigan, 211N 4th Avenue, Suite 2B, Ann Arbor, MI, 48104, USA
Rheumatol Int 33:2577-84. 2013
..The significant portion of the annual costs was due to pharmaceutical expenditures. Comparative effectiveness analysis may be useful to decrease RA-related pharmacy costs...
- Venous thromboembolism prophylaxis and clinical consequences in medically ill patients
Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Am J Ther 20:132-42. 2013
..27.95%, P < 0.02) during the 6 months post-index hospital admission. In conclusion anticoagulant prophylaxis is underutilized and is associated with reduced VTE risk and a decrease in rehospitalizations for medically ill patients...
- High cost patients for cardiac surgery and hospital quality in Turkey
The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Health Policy 109:143-9. 2013
..Encourage quality improvements and assess high expenditures for patients with coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery and hospital quality in Turkey...
- Clinical and economic outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes initiating insulin glargine disposable pen versus exenatide BID
The University of Michigan, MI, USA
J Med Econ 14:673-80. 2011
..To evaluate clinical and economic outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) who failed oral anti-diabetic drug (OAD) therapy and initiated either insulin glargine with disposable pen (GLA-P) or exenatide BID (EXE)...
- Patient survival and healthcare utilization costs after diagnosis of triple-negative breast cancer in a United States managed care cancer registry
The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 28:419-28. 2012
..Unique in its tumor aggression and high rates of recurrence, TNBC is less likely to be detected by mammogram and has a poorer prognosis than other breast cancer subtypes (non-TNBC)...
- Derivation of severity index for rheumatoid arthritis and its association with healthcare outcomes
STATinMED Research, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
J Med Econ 15:918-24. 2012
..To develop a claims-based severity index for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) using the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) database...
- Thromboembolism prophylaxis in medical inpatients: effect on outcomes and costs
The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Am J Manag Care 18:294-302. 2012
..To evaluate the real-world use of venous thromboembolism (VTE) prophylaxis among medical inpatients and the impact of VTE prophylaxis on outcomes and cost...
- Risk of venous thromboembolism and benefits of prophylaxis use in hospitalized medically ill US patients up to 180 days post-hospital discharge
STATinMED Research and The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Thromb J 9:15. 2011
- Comparison of real-world adherence, healthcare resource utilization and costs for newly initiated valsartan/amlodipine single-pill combination versus angiotensin receptor blocker/calcium channel blocker free-combination therapy
The University of Michigan and STATinMED Research, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
J Med Econ 14:576-83. 2011
- Cost and clinical consequences of stress/single-photon emission computed tomography testing with specific medications
STATinMED Research, 211 N 4th Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
J Med Econ 14:433-9. 2011
..We identified the cost of care and clinical events using dipyridamole versus adenosine in pharmacological stress (ST)/single-photon-emission computed tomography (SPECT) myocardial perfusion testing...
- Prevalence and economic burden of venous thromboembolism after total hip arthroplasty or total knee arthroplasty
University of Michigan, STATinMED Research, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Am J Manag Care 17:S6-8. 2011
..Prevention of VTE would improve patient outcomes and result in substantial savings to payers and providers...
- Clinical and cost outcomes of venous thromboembolism in Medicare patients undergoing total hip replacement or total knee replacement surgery
The University of Michigan Arbor, MI, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 27:423-9. 2011
..Since the potential for VTE exists in a range of clinical settings, an assessment of its impact on overall outcomes and costs to the patient and to the healthcare system is warranted...
- Impact of postoperative venous thromboembolism on Medicare recipients undergoing total hip replacement or total knee replacement surgery
STATinMED Research, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 67:1438-45. 2010
..The impact of postoperative venous thromboembolism (VTE) during initial hospitalization for total hip replacement (THR) or total knee replacement (TKR) surgery was assessed...
- The estimation power of alternative comorbidity indices
STATinMED Research and University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Value Health 11:946-55. 2008
- Too much ado about instrumental variable approach: is the cure worse than the disease?
STATinMED Research, LLC, 218 N Fourth Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Value Health 12:1201-9. 2009
..In this article, we provide an overview of the IV approach, examine possible tests to check the prerequisite conditions, and illustrate how weak instruments may produce inconsistent and inefficient results...
- Real-world rates, predictors, and associated costs of hypoglycemia among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus treated with insulin glargine: results of a pooled analysis of six retrospective observational studies
STATinMED Research, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
J Med Econ 16:1137-45. 2013
..To evaluate the real-world rates of hypoglycemia and related costs among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) who initiated insulin glargine with either a disposable pen or vial-and-syringe...
- Does pen help? A real-world outcomes study of switching from vial to disposable pen among insulin glargine-treated patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus
STATinMED Research, Inc, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 15:230-6. 2013
- A real-world study of patients with type 2 diabetes initiating basal insulins via disposable pens
STATinMED Research, 211 North Fourth Avenue, Suite 2B, Ann Arbor, MI, 48104, USA
Adv Ther 28:1000-11. 2011
..Clinical and economic outcomes following initiation with insulin glargine disposable pen (GLA-P) or insulin detemir disposable pen (DET-P) in T2DM patients were compared over 1-year follow-up...
- Composite measures for predicting surgical mortality in the hospital
Justin B Dimick
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 28:1189-98. 2009
..In this regard, it was more effective than the individual measures. Such measures would be useful for helping patients and payers identify low-mortality hospitals for major surgery...
- Health care costs associated with ankylosing spondylitis in Turkey: an analysis from nationwide real-world data
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA STATinMED Research, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Rheumatol 2013:139608. 2013
..Pharmaceutical expenditures cover a significant portion of the overall costs. Comparative effectiveness studies are necessary to further decrease health care costs of AS treatment...
- Medicare payments for common inpatient procedures: implications for episode-based payment bundling
John D Birkmeyer
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, 211 N Fourth Ave, Ste 2a, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Health Serv Res 45:1783-95. 2010
..Decisions about bundled payments would benefit from better information about how payments are currently distributed among providers of different perioperative services and how payments vary across hospitals...
- Mortality in medicare patients undergoing surgery in July in teaching hospitals
Michael J Englesbe
Department of Surgery, Michigan Surgical Collaborative for Outcomes Research and Evaluation, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0331, USA
Ann Surg 249:871-6. 2009
..To determine whether operative mortality rates at teaching hospitals in the United States are higher in July, the start of the academic year...
- Differences in healthcare utilization and associated costs between patients prescribed vs. nonprescribed opioids during an inpatient or emergency department visit
STATinMED Research, Ann Arbor, Michigan, U S A
Pain Pract 14:446-56. 2014
..Compare healthcare resource utilization (HCRU) and costs between patients prescribed opioids (RxOP) and those who were not (NoRxOP) during an emergency department (ED) or inpatient visit...
- Outlier payments for cardiac surgery and hospital quality
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 28:1154-60. 2009
..Still, there is variation across U.S. hospitals, with some hospitals experiencing much higher rates. These findings imply that there is potential for quality improvement to reduce costs while improving morbidity and mortality...
- Guidelines for selecting among different types of bootstraps
Outcomes Research and Econometrics, Thomson Medstat Group Inc, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 22:799-808. 2006
..Its success lies in the ease of estimating sampling distribution, standard error and confidence intervals with few or no assumptions about the distribution of the underlying population...
- Preoperative placement of inferior vena cava filters and outcomes after gastric bypass surgery
Nancy J O Birkmeyer
Department of Surgery, Michigan Surgical Collaboration for Outcomes Research and Evaluation, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Ann Surg 252:313-8. 2010
..To assess relationships between inferior vena cava (IVC) filter placement and complications within 30 days of gastric bypass surgery...
- Prevalence of diagnosed opioid abuse and its economic burden in the veterans health administration
STATinMED Research and The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, U S A
Pain Pract 14:437-45. 2014
..Evaluate prevalence and risk-adjusted healthcare costs of diagnosed opioid abuse in the national Veterans Health Administration (VHA). Costs were compared between patients with and without diagnosed opioid abuse...
- Socioeconomic status and surgical mortality in the elderly
Nancy J O Birkmeyer
Department of Surgery, Michigan Surgical Collaborative for Outcomes Research and Evaluation, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Med Care 46:893-9. 2008
..Although racial disparities in the quality of surgical care are well described, the impact of socioeconomic status on operative mortality is relatively unexplored...
- Severity index for rheumatoid arthritis and its association with health care costs and biologic therapy use in Turkey
Internal Medicine Department, Rheumatology Division, The University of Michigan, 211 N 4th Avenue, Suite 2B, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Health Econ Rev 3:5. 2013
..This study aimed to apply the previously validated severity index for rheumatoid arthritis (SIFRA) to prevalent rheumatoid arthritis (RA) groups in Turkey and determine the effect of RA severity on health care costs and biologic use...
- Assessment of adherence and healthcare costs of insulin device (FlexPen) versus conventional vial/syringe
The University of Michigan and STATinMED Research, 218 N Fourth Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Adv Ther 27:94-104. 2010
..Unlike the traditional method of insulin administration via the vial and syringe method, insulin pens might be perceived as less cumbersome and have potential to significantly increase patient adherence...
- Too much ado about propensity score models? Comparing methods of propensity score matching
Thomson Medstat, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Value Health 9:377-85. 2006
..In this article we evaluate several matching techniques and provide a suggested guideline for selecting the best technique...
- Variations in the use of internal fixation for distal radial fracture in the United States medicare population
Kevin C Chung
Section of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, 2130 Taubman Center, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0340, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:2154-62. 2011
- Impact of statin copayments on adherence and medical care utilization and expenditures
Teresa B Gibson
Thomson Medstat, 777 E Eisenhower Pkwy, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, USA
Am J Manag Care 12:SP11-9. 2006
..To examine the effects of statin cost-sharing (ie, copayments, coinsurance) on adherence to statin medications and the impact of adherence on healthcare utilization and spending...
- Predictors of preventive service use among Medicare beneficiaries
Ronald J Ozminkowski
Thomson Medstat, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, USA
Health Care Financ Rev 27:5-23. 2006
..Strategies should be developed to ensure appropriate use of preventive services over time...
- Longitudinal analysis of censored medical cost data
Thomson Medstat, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, USA
Health Econ 15:513-25. 2006
..The methods are applied to a sample of 201 Medicare beneficiaries diagnosed with lung cancer between 1994 and 1997...