- An entirely subcutaneous implantable cardioverter-defibrillator
Gust H Bardy
Seattle Institute for Cardiac Research, Seattle, WA, USA
N Engl J Med 363:36-44. 2010
..To eliminate the need for venous access, we designed and tested an entirely subcutaneous ICD system...
- Home use of automated external defibrillators for sudden cardiac arrest
Gust H Bardy
Seattle Institute for Cardiac Research, Seattle, WA 98103 4819, USA
N Engl J Med 358:1793-804. 2008
..Consequently, home use of an automated external defibrillator (AED) might offer an opportunity to improve survival for patients at risk...
- Rationale and design of the Home Automatic External Defibrillator Trial (HAT)
Gust H Bardy
The Seattle Institute for Cardiac Research, Seattle, WA 98103 4819, USA
Am Heart J 155:445-54. 2008
..The results of the trial should be available in mid 2008...
- Amiodarone or an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator for congestive heart failure
Gust H Bardy
Seattle Institute for Cardiac Research, Seattle, WA 98103, USA
N Engl J Med 352:225-37. 2005
..Treatment with amiodarone or an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) has been proposed to improve the prognosis in such patients...
- Prognostic importance of defibrillator shocks in patients with heart failure
Jeanne E Poole
Division of Cardiology, University of Washington School of Medicine, 1959 NE Pacific St, Box 356422, Seattle, WA 98195 6422, USA
N Engl J Med 359:1009-17. 2008
..e., prevention of a first life-threatening arrhythmic event) may later receive therapeutic shocks from the ICD. Information about long-term prognosis after ICD therapy in such patients is limited...
- Maximizing survival benefit with primary prevention implantable cardioverter-defibrillator therapy in a heart failure population
Wayne C Levy
Division of Cardiology, University of Washington, Box 356422, 1959 NE Pacific St, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Circulation 120:835-42. 2009
..Although implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) therapy reduces mortality in moderately symptomatic heart failure patients with an ejection fraction <or=35%, many such patients do not require ICD shocks over long-term follow-up...
- Key clinical insights from the sudden cardiac death in heart failure trial
Clinical Affairs, Seattle Institute for Cardiac Research, Seattle, WA 98103 4819, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 21:463-8. 2006
..In addition, future directions in the evaluation and management of patients with moderate to severe HF are addressed...
- No benefit from defibrillation threshold testing in the SCD-HeFT (Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial)
Joseph A Blatt
Department of Cardiology, University of Washington, Box 356422, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 52:551-6. 2008
..This study investigated whether defibrillation threshold (DFT) testing during implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) implantation predicts clinical outcomes...
- Quality of life with defibrillator therapy or amiodarone in heart failure
Daniel B Mark
Outcomes Research Group, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
N Engl J Med 359:999-1008. 2008
..However, whether this increased longevity is accompanied by deterioration in the quality of life is unclear...
- Syncope predicts the outcome of cardiomyopathy patients: analysis of the SCD-HeFT study
University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 51:1277-82. 2008
..The outcome of congestive heart failure (CHF) patients with syncope is understood incompletely...
- Outcome in African Americans and other minorities in the Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial (SCD-HeFT)
Judith E Mitchell
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
Am Heart J 155:501-6. 2008
..The purpose of this report is to describe the outcomes in African Americans (AAs) and other minorities...
- Where patients with mild to moderate heart failure die: results from the Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial (SCD-HeFT)
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Hospitals, 4426A JCP, 200 Hawkins Dr, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Am Heart J 153:1089-94. 2007
..In the SCD-HeFT, mortality of patients with CHF was assessed after randomization to an implantable cardioverter/defibrillator (ICD), amiodarone, or placebo. The aim of this study was to evaluate the location of deaths in SCD-HeFT...
- Risk of thromboembolism in heart failure: an analysis from the Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial (SCD-HeFT)
Ronald S Freudenberger
Department of Medicine, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Suite 6100, 125 Paterson St, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
Circulation 115:2637-41. 2007
..In the Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial (SCD-HeFT), 2521 patients with moderate heart failure were randomized to receive amiodarone, implanted cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs), or placebo...
- Role of amiodarone or implantable cardioverter/defibrillator in patients with atrial fibrillation and heart failure
Steven N Singh
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Washington, DC 20422, USA
Am Heart J 152:974.e7-11. 2006
..Amiodarone is effective in reducing new AF, but not in converting AF to SR. Implantable cardioverter/defibrillator, inappropriate, and appropriate shocks were more often seen in AF than in SR...
- Cost-effectiveness of defibrillator therapy or amiodarone in chronic stable heart failure: results from the Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial (SCD-HeFT)
Daniel B Mark
Outcomes Research Group, Duke Clinical Research Institute, PO Box 17969, Durham, NC 27715, USA
Circulation 114:135-42. 2006
..We examined long-term economic implications of these results...
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillators and cardiac resynchronization therapy in patients with left ventricular dysfunction: randomized trial evidence through 2004
Sana M Al-Khatib
The Duke Clinical Research Institute, Durham, NC 27715, USA
Am Heart J 149:1020-34. 2005
..This document summarizes the evidence reviewed at that meeting and the discussions of that evidence...
- Tripling survival from sudden cardiac arrest via early defibrillation without traditional education in cardiopulmonary resuscitation
Division of Cardiology, Gugliemo da Saliceto Hospital, Piacenza, Italy
Circulation 106:1065-70. 2002
..To improve public access to early defibrillation, we established Piacenza Progetto Vita (PPV), the first system of out-of-hospital early defibrillation by first-responder volunteers...
- Absence of bilateral vision loss from amiodarone: a randomized trial
Joel S Mindel
Department of Ophthalmology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Am Heart J 153:837-42. 2007
..The object of this study was to determine the incidence, dose, and time until onset of bilateral vision loss from amiodarone as a secondary end point in an investigation of amiodarone's role in preventing sudden death...
- Statin use was associated with reduced mortality in both ischemic and nonischemic cardiomyopathy and in patients with implantable defibrillators: mortality data and mechanistic insights from the Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial (SCD-HeFT)
Michael G Dickinson
Thoracic Cardiovascular Institute Foundation, Lansing, MI, USA
Am Heart J 153:573-8. 2007
..The study length, size, and degree of background HF, including the use of implantable defibrillator therapy, provide a unique opportunity to evaluate the impact of statin use in HF with mechanistic insights from subgroup analyses...
- Dynamic pressure--flow velocity relationships in the human cerebral circulation
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Washington School of Medicine, University of Washington Medical Center, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle 98104, USA
Stroke 34:1645-9. 2003
..The decrease in CCP could explain half of the increase in flow velocity during hyperemia. CONCLUSIONS: CCP can be accurately estimated from regular heartbeat data and is an important factor in regulation of the cerebral circulation...
- Biphasic versus monophasic shock waveform for conversion of atrial fibrillation: the results of an international randomized, double-blind multicenter trial
Richard L Page
Division of Cardiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9047, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 39:1956-63. 2002
..This study compared a biphasic waveform with a conventional monophasic waveform for cardioversion of atrial fibrillation (AF)...