Shafiqul A Sarker
Affiliation: International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research
- Causal relationship of Helicobacter pylori with iron-deficiency anemia or failure of iron supplementation in childrenShafiqul A Sarker
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Gastroenterology 135:1534-42. 2008..We investigated Helicobacter pylori (H pylori)-infection as a cause of iron deficiency (ID) and iron-deficiency anemia (IDA) or treatment failure of iron supplementation...
- Development and acceptability testing of ready-to-use supplementary food made from locally available food ingredients in BangladeshTahmeed Ahmed
Centre for Nutrition and Food Security, ICDDR, B, 68 Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed Sarani, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
BMC Pediatr 14:164. 2014..The objective of this study was to develop RUSF using locally available food ingredients and test their acceptability...
- Anti-rotavirus protein reduces stool output in infants with diarrhea: a randomized placebo-controlled trialShafiqul A Sarker
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, Dhaka, Bangladesh Electronic address
Gastroenterology 145:740-748.e8. 2013..We assessed the efficacy of a llama-derived, heavy-chain antibody fragment called anti-rotavirus protein (ARP1), in modifying the severity and duration of diarrhea in male infants with rotavirus infection...
- Oral T4-like phage cocktail application to healthy adult volunteers from BangladeshShafiqul Alam Sarker
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Diseases Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, 68 Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed Sharani, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
Virology 434:222-32. 2012..No impact of oral phage was seen on the fecal microbiota composition with respect to bacterial 16S rRNA from stool...
- Influence of Helicobacter pylori infection on gastric acid secretion in pre-school Bangladeshi childrenShafiqul A Sarker
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Diseases Research, Bangladesh, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Helicobacter 17:333-9. 2012..The effect of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection on gastric acid secretion (GAS) is poorly defined in children...
- Successful treatment of rotavirus-induced diarrhoea in suckling mice with egg yolk immunoglobulinShafiqul A Sarker
ICDDR, B, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Health Popul Nutr 25:465-8. 2007..The use of an animal model has allowed therapy to be evaluated with higher doses of immunoglobulins and has suggested that an improved therapeutic effect can be achieved by increasing the dose in the clinical setting...
- High prevalence of cagA and vacA seropositivity in asymptomatic Bangladeshi children with Helicobacter pylori infectionS A Sarker
ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Acta Paediatr 93:1432-6. 2004..pylori infection diagnosed by 13C urea breath test (UBT) in such children...
- Helicobacter pylori infection, iron absorption, and gastric acid secretion in Bangladeshi childrenShafiqul A Sarker
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh Centre for Health and Population Research, Mohakali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Am J Clin Nutr 80:149-53. 2004..Nonheme-iron absorption requires an acidic milieu. Reduced gastric acid output as a consequence of Helicobacter pylori infection could be an important limiting factor for iron absorption...
- Lactobacillus paracasei strain ST11 has no effect on rotavirus but ameliorates the outcome of nonrotavirus diarrhea in children from BangladeshShafiqul A Sarker
International Centre for Diarrheal Disease Research, Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Pediatrics 116:e221-8. 2005..However, duration alone is not considered optimal for therapeutic evaluation of any agent in diarrhea...
- Efficacy of partially hydrolyzed guar gum-added oral rehydration solution in the treatment of severe cholera in adultsN H Alam
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research Bangladesh ICDDRB, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Digestion 78:24-9. 2008..SCFAs potentiate the effect of ORS, reducing the severity of diarrhea...
- Evidence of intra-familial transmission of Helicobacter pylori by PCR-based RAPD fingerprinting in BangladeshS Nahar
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28:767-73. 2009..Only 6% of the parents shared related genotype of H. pylori. These findings suggest that mother-to-child transmission occurs in early childhood and is the most probable route of transmission of H. pylori in Bangladesh...
- Low osmolar oral rehydration salts solution in the treatment of acute watery diarrhoea in neonates and young infants: a randomized, controlled clinical trialA M Khan
Clinical Sciences Division, ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Health Popul Nutr 23:52-7. 2005..The results of the study indicate that ORS-75 is as safe as standard ORS-90 in the treatment of acute watery diarrhoea in neonates and very young infants and is effective in correcting and preventing dehydration...
- Partially hydrolysed guar gum supplemented comminuted chicken diet in persistent diarrhoea: a randomised controlled trialN H Alam
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Arch Dis Child 90:195-9. 2005..Partially hydrolysed guar gum (Benefiber) added to a diet is fermented in the colon, producing short chain fatty acids, which improve intestinal function, including colonic salt and water absorption...
- Characteristics of children hospitalized with severe dehydration and persistent diarrhoea in BangladeshN H Alam
ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000 Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
J Health Popul Nutr 19:18-24. 2001..In addition, children with severe persistent diarrhoea might need special attention to have adequate rehydration and control of extraintestinal infections, including respiratory tract infection...
- Randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trial of hyperimmunized chicken egg yolk immunoglobulin in children with rotavirus diarrheaS A Sarker
Clinical Sciences Division, International Center for Diarrheal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 32:19-25. 2001..In this study, children with proven rotavirus diarrhea were treated with immunoglobulin extracted from eggs of chicken immunized with human rotavirus strains...
- Partially hydrolyzed guar gum-supplemented oral rehydration solution in the treatment of acute diarrhea in childrenN H Alam
Clinical Sciences Division, ICDDR, B, Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 31:503-7. 2000..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of Benefiber (BF)-supplemented World Health Organization Oral Rehydration Solution (WHO ORS) in the treatment of acute noncholera diarrhea in children...
- Successful treatment of rotavirus diarrhea in children with immunoglobulin from immunized bovine colostrumS A Sarker
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Diseases Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Pediatr Infect Dis J 17:1149-54. 1998..We treated children with rotavirus diarrhea with immunoglobulins extracted from immunized bovine colostrum (IIBC) containing high titers of antibodies against four rotavirus serotypes...
- Helicobacter pylori colonization in infants and young children is not necessarily associated with diarrhoeaM M Rahman
Department of Medicine and Research, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
J Trop Pediatr 44:283-7. 1998..19). No significant difference was observed in the cumulative days with diarrhoea. The results of this study suggest that H. pylori colonization is not associated with diarrhoeal morbidity in infants and young children...
- Reduced osmolarity oral rehydration solution for persistent diarrhea in infants: a randomized controlled clinical trialS A Sarker
Clinical Sciences Division, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
J Pediatr 138:532-8. 2001..No children in any of the treatment groups had hyponatremia. CONCLUSION: Reduced osmolarity ORS is clinically more effective than WHO-ORS and may thus be advantageous for use in the treatment of children with persistent diarrhea...