Affiliation: International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research
- Typing of human rotaviruses: nucleotide mismatches between the VP7 gene and primer are associated with genotyping failureMustafizur Rahman
ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
Virol J 2:24. 2005..9%) of the rotavirus strains isolated in 2002 could not be G-typed using the routinely used primer set. To investigate the reason why the strains were untypeable, nucleotide sequencing of the VP7 genes was performed...
- Prevalence of infections, HIV risk behaviors and factors associated with HIV infection among male injecting drug users attending a needle/syringe exchange program in Dhaka, BangladeshTasnim Azim
HIV AIDS Programme, Laboratory Sciences Division, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Subst Use Misuse 43:2124-44. 2008..HIV was detected in 5.9% of the IDU and homelessness was the only factor independently associated with HIV (OR = 5.5). Urgent measures must be undertaken to prevent escalation of the HIV epidemic. The study's limitations are noted...
- HIV and AIDS in BangladeshTasnim Azim
Laboratory Sciences Division, ICDDR, B, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
J Health Popul Nutr 26:311-24. 2008..This review reiterates the often repeated message that if Bangladesh wants to be an example of how to avert an HIV epidemic, it needs to act now using evidence-based programming...
- Rotavirus-specific subclass antibody and cytokine responses in Bangladeshi children with rotavirus diarrhoeaTasnim Azim
ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
J Med Virol 69:286-95. 2003..The immune responses described are relevant to future vaccine trials, as immune responses in vaccinees should mimic those in natural infection...
- Bangladesh moves from being a low-prevalence nation for HIV to one with a concentrated epidemic in injecting drug usersT Azim
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Int J STD AIDS 19:327-31. 2008..9%) followed by female street-based sex workers (8.6%). However, rates in female sex workers in Dhaka declined significantly over the years (P < 0.001). Bangladesh has to act urgently to prevent escalation of the epidemic...
- Immune response of Bangladeshi children with acute diarrhea who subsequently have persistent diarrheaT Azim
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 31:528-35. 2000....
- Immune response of children who develop persistent diarrhea following rotavirus infectionT Azim
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 6:690-5. 1999..From all observed parameters, only elevated plasma IFN-gamma levels were associated with subsequent development of PD. However, a larger sample size is necessary to substantiate this observation...
- Essential elements of strategic information systems to guide focused HIV responses in south and south-east AsiaTasnim Azim
HIV AIDS Programme, Laboratory Sciences Division, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, Dhaka, Bangladesh
AIDS 24:S54-61. 2010....
- Effects of zinc supplementation as adjunct therapy on the systemic immune responses in shigellosisMuhammad J Rahman
International Centre for Health and Population Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Am J Clin Nutr 81:495-502. 2005..CONCLUSION: Adjunct therapy with zinc during acute shigellosis significantly improved seroconversion to shigellacidal antibody response and increased the proportions of circulating B lymphocytes and plasma cells...
- Alterations in lymphocyte phenotype and function in children with shigellosis who develop complicationsT Azim
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 3:191-6. 1996..Whether these alterations have a role in precipitating complications or whether they reflect early events underlying the development of complications remains to be elucidated...
- Prevalence of G2P and G12P rotavirus, BangladeshMustafizur Rahman
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Emerg Infect Dis 13:18-24. 2007..1%) during this season. Because recently licensed rotavirus vaccines include only the P specificity, it is unknown how the vaccines will perform in settings where non-P types are prevalent...
- Zinc supplementation in the management of shigellosis in malnourished children in BangladeshS K Roy
ICDDR B Centre for Health and Population Research, 68 Tajuddin Ahmed Sharani, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Eur J Clin Nutr 62:849-55. 2008..To assess the impact of zinc supplementation on clinical recovery, weight gain and subsequent growth and morbidity in moderately malnourished children with shigellosis...
- Characterization of a novel P,G11 human group a rotavirusMustafizur Rahman
ICDDR, B, Centre for Health and Population Research, Mohakhali, Dhaka-1212, Bangladesh
J Clin Microbiol 43:3208-12. 2005..This lack of high sequence similarity in the VP4 gene indicates that the Dhaka6 isolate represents a new group A rotavirus P genotype, to which we propose assignment of the designation P...
- Detection and characterization of human group C rotaviruses in BangladeshMustafizur Rahman
ICDDR, B, Centre for Health and Population Research, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
J Clin Microbiol 43:4460-5. 2005..Phylogenetic analysis suggested that all human group C rotaviruses, including the strains isolated in our study, clustered in a monophyletic branch, which was distantly related to the branch comprised of animal group C rotaviruses...
- Sexual risk behavior of married men and women in Bangladesh associated with husbands' work migration and living apartAlex Mercer
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Sex Transm Dis 34:265-73. 2007..This study aimed to ascertain the prevalence of sexual risk behavior among married men and women who had, or had not, lived apart from their spouse as a result of the husbands' work migration...
- Surveillance of rotavirus in a rural diarrhoea treatment centre in Bangladesh, 2000-2006K Zaman
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
Vaccine 27:F31-4. 2009..Rotavirus is an important cause of childhood diarrhoea in rural Bangladesh and this burden may be reduced with a rotavirus vaccination programme...
- Epidemiology of rotavirus and cholera in children aged less than five years in rural BangladeshA K Siddique
ICDDR, B, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Health Popul Nutr 29:1-8. 2011..The study revealed that 12-14% of the hospitalizations in rural Bangladesh in this age-group were due to rotavirus infection, which has not been previously documented...
- Lactobacillus paracasei strain ST11 has no effect on rotavirus but ameliorates the outcome of nonrotavirus diarrhea in children from BangladeshShafiqul A Sarker
International Centre for Diarrheal Disease Research, Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Pediatrics 116:e221-8. 2005..However, duration alone is not considered optimal for therapeutic evaluation of any agent in diarrhea...
- Influenza is a major contributor to childhood pneumonia in a tropical developing countryW Abdullah Brooks
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Pediatr Infect Dis J 29:216-21. 2010..The role of influenza in childhood pneumonia in tropical developing countries is poorly understood. We undertook population-based surveillance among low-income urban preschool children to determine its role in childhood pneumonia...
- Complete genomic analysis of a Bangladeshi G1P rotavirus strain detected in 2003 reveals a close evolutionary relationship with contemporary human Wa-like strainsMustafizur Rahman
Laboratory of Virology, ICDDR, B International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
Infect Genet Evol 10:746-54. 2010..Our complete genome characterization of a recent G1P strain will be helpful to assess the ongoing rotavirus vaccine trials and their implementation programs in the forthcoming years...
- Effect of zinc supplementation on immune and inflammatory responses in pediatric patients with shigellosisRubhana Raqib
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Diseases Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Am J Clin Nutr 79:444-50. 2004..Prolonged zinc supplementation also improves cell-mediated immunity in severely malnourished children...
- Isolation of Shigella dysenteriae type 1 and S. flexneri strains from surface waters in Bangladesh: comparative molecular analysis of environmental Shigella isolates versus clinical strainsShah M Faruque
Molecular Genetics Laboratory, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:3908-13. 2002....
- Injecting drug users in Bangladesh: prevalence of syphilis, hepatitis, HIV and HIV subtypesTasnim Azim
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh (ICDDR, B, Dhaka, Bangladesh
AIDS 16:121-3. 2002..4%, respectively), whereas current hepatitis B infection rates were highest in IDU from the NEP of northwest Bangladesh (12%). Five HIV strains were subtype C and one E/B. The 32 base pair (bp) deletion of the CCR5 gene was not detected...
- Human metapneumovirus infection among children, BangladeshW Abdullah Brooks
ICDDR, B Division of Health Systems and Infectious Diseases, GPO Box 128 Mohakhali, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1611-3. 2007..HMPV was the most common single virus identified among febrile children and appears to contribute to the high rates of illness in this population...
- Successful co-administration of a human rotavirus and oral poliovirus vaccines in Bangladeshi infants in a 2-dose schedule at 12 and 16 weeks of ageK Zaman
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, GPO Box 128, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Vaccine 27:1333-9. 2009..No statistically significant differences were observed between groups for polio seroprotection rates. RIX4414 vaccine was immunogenic when co-administered with OPV and did not interfere with OPV seroprotection rates...
- Molecular detection of noroviruses in hospitalized patients in BangladeshM Rahman
Laboratory of Virology, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research Bangladesh, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 29:937-45. 2010..The data regarding the genetic information of the circulating norovirus strains would be very useful for the norovirus vaccine development programs...
- Comparison of the vibriocidal antibody response in cholera due to Vibrio cholerae O139 Bengal with the response in cholera due to Vibrio cholerae O1F Qadri
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 2:685-8. 1995..These findings may explain the basis for the lack of heterologous protection between the two serogroups of V. cholerae. Healthy controls had higher background levels of vibriocidal antibody to V. cholerae O1 than to V. cholerae O139...
- Molecular evidence for polyphyletic origin of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 subtype C in BangladeshM Safiullah Sarker
Virology Laboratory, Laboratory Sciences Division, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Diseases Research, Bangladesh, 68 Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed Sharani, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
Virus Res 135:89-94. 2008..On the other hand there have been many and regular introductions of subtype C viruses through migrant workers in the VCT group. Very little overlap was observed in the strains obtained from IDU and those from other population groups...
- Sequence analysis and evolution of group B rotavirusesMustafizur Rahman
Laboratory of Virology, ICDDR, B, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Virus Res 125:219-25. 2007..57x10(-3) nucleotide substitutions/(siteyear), which was comparable to other rapidly evolving RNA viruses. The most recent common ancestor (MRCA) of the extant human group B rotaviruses was calculated to date to around 1976...
- The effectiveness of respondent driven sampling for recruiting males who have sex with males in Dhaka, BangladeshLisa Grazina Johnston
Family Health International, Dhaka, Bangladesh
AIDS Behav 12:294-304. 2008....
- Origin of dengue type 3 viruses associated with the dengue outbreak in Dhaka, Bangladesh, in 2000 and 2001Goutam Podder
Center for Health and Population Research, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:263-5. 2006....
- Influenza in outpatient ILI case-patients in national hospital-based surveillance, Bangladesh, 2007-2008Rashid Uz Zaman
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
PLoS ONE 4:e8452. 2009..To explore the epidemiology and seasonality of influenza throughout the country and among all age groups, we established nationally representative hospital-based surveillance necessary to guide influenza prevention and control efforts...
- Chromatography paper strip method for collection, transportation, and storage of rotavirus RNA in stool samplesMustafizur Rahman
Laboratory of Clinical and Epidemiological Virology, Rega Institute for Medical Research, University of Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 42:1605-8. 2004..This convenient and inexpensive rotavirus sample collection system can be of use in epidemiological surveillance studies and vaccine trials...
- Impending concentrated HIV epidemic among injecting drug users in Central BangladeshTasnim Azim
Int J STD AIDS 15:280-2. 2004
- Low HIV infection rates among tuberculosis patients in Dhaka, BangladeshM Shah Alam
Int J STD AIDS 16:86-8. 2005
- Predominance of rotavirus G9 genotype in children hospitalized for rotavirus gastroenteritis in Belgium during 1999-2003Mustafizur Rahman
Laboratory of Clinical and Epidemiological Virology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Rega Institute for Medical Research, Minderbroedersstraat 10, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, University of Leuven, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Virol 33:1-6. 2005..The emergence of G9 as an important pathogen in both developing as industrialized countries necessitates the urgent consideration of the G9 moiety in rotavirus vaccines...
- Could the CARE-SHAKTI intervention for injecting drug users be maintaining the low HIV prevalence in Dhaka, Bangladesh?Anna M Foss
HIV Tools Research Group, Health Policy Unit, Department of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine LSHTM, UK
Addiction 102:114-25. 2007....
- Evolutionary history and global spread of the emerging g12 human rotavirusesMustafizur Rahman
Laboratory of Clinical and Epidemiological Virology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Rega Institute for Medical Research, Minderbroedersstraat 10, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Virol 81:2382-90. 2007..The acquirement of gene segments from human-adapted rotaviruses might allow G12 to better propagate in humans and hence to develop into an important emerging human pathogen...
- Reaching out to the regular female sex partners of non-injecting and injecting drug users (IDUs): a need highlighted by research findings and ways to address it demonstrated by a regional HIV intervention project from South AsiaSamiran Panda
Subst Use Misuse 42:895-8. 2007
- Influenza A and B infection in children in urban slum, BangladeshW Abdullah Brooks
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1507-8. 2007