Affiliation: International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research
- Altering trends in the dominance of Shigella flexneri serotypes and emergence of serologically atypical S. flexneri strains in Dhaka, BangladeshK A Talukder
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Diseases Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Clin Microbiol 39:3757-9. 2001..flexneri 2b dominating (23.2%). Of the 56 untypeable strains which showed invasive properties, 17 were serologically atypical and the remaining 39 belonged to a new serotype...
- Prevalence of virulence genes and cytolethal distending toxin production in Campylobacter jejuni isolates from diarrheal patients in BangladeshKaisar A Talukder
Enteric Microbiology Laboratory, Laboratory Sciences Division, ICDDR, B, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Clin Microbiol 46:1485-8. 2008..5%), cdtA (97.5%), cdtB (97.5%), cdtC (97.5%), and wlaN (7.5%) genes was detected in C. jejuni by PCR. All C. jejuni strains but one produced cytolethal distending toxin in a HeLa cell assay...
- A novel serovar of Shigella dysenteriae from patients with diarrhoea in BangladeshKaisar A Talukder
ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Med Microbiol 56:654-8. 2007..coli serotype reference strains. It is therefore proposed that these isolates represent a new provisional serovar of S. dysenteriae, type strain KIVI 162...
- Antibiotic resistance and genetic diversity of Shigella sonnei isolated from patients with diarrhoea between 1999 and 2003 in BangladeshKaisar A Talukder
ICDDR, B, Centre for Health and Population Research, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Med Microbiol 55:1257-63. 2006..It can be concluded that endemic strains of Shigella sonnei isolated from patients in Bangladesh are diverse in their genetic pattern...
- The emerging strains of Shigella dysenteriae type 2 in Bangladesh are clonalK A Talukder
ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Epidemiol Infect 134:1249-56. 2006..All the strains were clustered within a single type with four subtypes by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis while ribotyping patterns of all the strains were identical...
- Fluoroquinolone resistance linked to both gyrA and parC mutations in the quinolone resistance-determining region of Shigella dysenteriae type 1Kaisar A Talukder
ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, GPO Box 128, Dhaka, 1000, Bangladesh
Curr Microbiol 52:108-11. 2006..In fluoroquinolone-resistant strains, double mutations (Ser83-->Leu, Asp87-->Asn or Gly) and a single mutation (Ser80-->Ile) were detected in the QRDRs of gyrA and parC, respectively...
- Genetic relatedness of ciprofloxacin-resistant Shigella dysenteriae type 1 strains isolated in south AsiaKaisar A Talukder
Enteric Microbiology Laboratory, ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:730-4. 2004..The aim of the present study was to determine the clonal relationships of ciprofloxacin-resistant Shigella dysenteriae type 1 strains isolated from south Asia, and S. dysenteriae 1 strains associated with epidemics in 1978, 1984 and 1994...
- Temporal shifts in the dominance of serotypes of Shigella dysenteriae from 1999 to 2002 in Dhaka, BangladeshKaisar A Talukder
ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Clin Microbiol 41:5053-8. 2003..All the strains harboring the 140-MDa plasmid were positive for the ipaH gene, had Congo red binding abilities, and were positive by the Sereny test, demonstrating their invasive properties...
- Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of provisional serotype Shigella flexneri 1c and clonal relationships with 1a and 1b strains isolated in BangladeshKaisar A Talukder
Enteric Laboratory, Laboratory Sciences Division, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Diseases Research, Bangladesh
J Clin Microbiol 41:110-7. 2003..Furthermore, the high rate of prevalence of serotype 1c necessitates the commercial production of antibody against this subserotype to allow the determination of the actual burden of shigellosis caused by provisional serotype 1c...
- Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of serologically atypical strains of Shigella flexneri type 4 isolated in Dhaka, BangladeshKaisar A Talukder
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Clin Microbiol 40:2490-7. 2002..This study concluded that two different clones of atypical S. flexneri type 4 exist and strongly suggests that these are new subserotypes of S. flexneri that await further serological classification...
- Invasive pneumococcal disease burden and implications for vaccine policy in urban BangladeshW Abdullah Brooks
ICDDR, B, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:795-801. 2007..9%, 82.4%, 14.7%, and 24.1%, respectively. Current conjugate vaccines should substantially reduce IPD, childhood pneumonia, and antimicrobial resistance in Bangladesh...
- Prevalence of the pandemic genotype of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and significance of its distribution across different serotypesN A Bhuiyan
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka-1212, Bangladesh
J Clin Microbiol 40:284-6. 2002..A marker (open reading frame ORF8) for a filamentous phage previously thought to correspond to the pandemic genotype was found to have a poor correlation with the pandemic genotype...
- Percutaneous liver biopsy: technique and safetyGolam Mustafa
Department of Hepatology, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Hepatogastroenterology 58:529-31. 2011..We studied 107 patients of liver diseases with percutaneous liver biopsy to assess the need and usefulness of post procedure abdominal binder, analgesics, antibiotics or blood transfusion, and safety of the procedure...
- Isolation and characterization of provisional serovar Shigella boydii E16553 from diarrhoeal patients in BangladeshM Ansaruzzaman
International Center for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Centre for Health and Population Research, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Med Microbiol 54:477-80. 2005..boydii 19...
- Bacteremic typhoid fever in children in an urban slum, BangladeshW Abdullah Brooks
ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Emerg Infect Dis 11:326-9. 2005..The relative risk for preschool children compared with older persons was 8.9. Our regression model showed that these children were clinically ill, which suggests a role for preschool immunization...
- Viral etiology of pneumonia in a cohort of newborns till 24 months of age in Rural Mirzapur, BangladeshKhundkar Hasan
ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Scand J Infect Dis 38:690-5. 2006..67, CI 1.05-12.83) than children living in a larger house. Counseling on avoiding crowding where a newborn is accommodated might reduce pneumonia incidence...
- Natural course of fulminant hepatic failure: the scenario in Bangladesh and the differences from the westShahinul Alam
Departments of Hepatology, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University, Shahbag, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Saudi J Gastroenterol 15:229-33. 2009..The etiology and predictors of outcome differ according to the geographical region. This study was conducted with the aim of evaluating the etiology, complications, and outcome of FHF in Bangladesh...
- TnphoA mutants of Providencia alcalifaciens with altered invasiveness of HEp-2 cellsMotiur Rahman
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, Dhaka
J Med Microbiol 51:682-6. 2002..It should be possible now to study the gene(s) involved in invasion of P. alcalifaciens with these mutants. This investigation is another example of the usefulness of TnphoA mutagenesis in the study of bacterial virulence genes...
- Multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar typhi isolates with high-level resistance to ciprofloxacin in Dhaka, BangladeshDilruba Ahmed
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:3516-7. 2006
- Emergence of multidrug-resistant strain of Vibrio cholerae O1 in Bangladesh and reversal of their susceptibility to tetracycline after two yearsAbu S G Faruque
J Health Popul Nutr 25:241-3. 2007
- Long-term follow-up of ROM treated casesKhorshed Alam
Lepr Rev 78:160. 2007
- A novel dendritic cell-based cancer vaccine produces promising results in a syngenic CC-36 murine colon adenocarcinoma modelAngela M Jack
Surgery Research Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Saint Vincent s Catholic Medical Centers New York Medical College, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Surg Res 139:164-9. 2007..This study was conducted to test the efficacy of a new cancer vaccine, composed of dendritic cells (DCs) pulsed with an interleukin-2 gene-encoded vaccinia virus tumor oncolysate (DC-IL-2VCO) in a CC-36 murine colon adenocarcinoma model...
- Enhanced isolation of Shigella species by extended incubation of primary isolation platesKhorshed Alam
J Health Popul Nutr 21:396-7. 2003