- Becker A, GonÃ§alves J, Burns M, Vieira J, RadÃ¼nz Neto J, Baldisserotto B. Ion levels in the gastrointestinal tract content of freshwater and marine-estuarine teleosts. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2012;38:1001-1017 pubmed publisher..In most species, ion levels in the fluid phase and total chyme changed throughout the gastrointestinal tract, suggesting absorption, but the ionoregulatory mechanisms of the gastrointestinal tract seem to vary according to species. ..
- Sutili F, Velasquez A, Pinheiro C, Heinzmann B, Gatlin D, Baldisserotto B. Evaluation of Ocimum americanum essential oil as an additive in red drum (Sciaenops ocellatus) diets. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2016;56:155-161 pubmed publisher..Based on these various results, OAEO at different supplementation levels did not influence growth performance and intestinal microbial community; however, the EO added to the diet showed effects on immunological responses of red drum. ..
- Baldissera M, Souza C, Verdi C, Vizzotto B, Santos R, Baldisserotto B. Aeromonas caviae alters the activities of ecto-enzymes that hydrolyze adenine nucleotides in fish thrombocytes. Microb Pathog. 2018;115:64-67 pubmed publisher..In summary, the purinergic system might contribute to the occurrence of hemorrhagic frames in fish infected with A. caviae. ..
- Baldissera M, Souza C, Parmeggiani B, Santos R, Leipnitz G, Moreira K, et al. Streptococcus agalactiae impairs cerebral bioenergetics in experimentally infected silver catfish. Microb Pathog. 2017;111:28-32 pubmed publisher..Moreover, inhibition of cerebral CK activity contributes to lower availability of ATP, contributing to impairment of cerebral energy homeostasis. In summary, these alterations contribute to disease pathogenesis linked to the CNS. ..
- de Freitas Souza C, Baldissera M, Bianchini A, da Silva E, Mourão R, da Silva L, et al. Citral and linalool chemotypes of Lippia alba essential oil as anesthetics for fish: a detailed physiological analysis of side effects during anesthetic recovery in silver catfish (Rhamdia quelen). Fish Physiol Biochem. 2018;44:21-34 pubmed publisher..Therefore, EO-L is an effective anesthetic for silver catfish with fewer side effects than EO-C. ..
- Souza C, Baldissera M, Bottari N, Moreira K, da Rocha M, DA Veiga M, et al. Purinergic signaling modulates the cerebral inflammatory response in experimentally infected fish with Streptococcus agalactiae: an attempt to improve the immune response. Mol Cell Biochem. 2018;443:131-138 pubmed publisher..In summary, the modulation of the cerebral purinergic cascade exerts an anti-inflammatory profile in an attempt to reduce inflammatory damage. ..
- Baldissera M, Souza C, Baldisserotto B. Ichthyophthirius multifiliis impairs splenic enzymes of the phosphoryl transfer network in naturally infected Rhamdia quelen: effects on energetic homeostasis. Parasitol Res. 2018;117:413-418 pubmed publisher..In summary, these alterations contribute to disease pathogenesis linked to spleen tissue in animals infected with white spot disease. ..
- Baldisserotto B, Parodi T, Stevens E. Lack of postexposure analgesic efficacy of low concentrations of eugenol in zebrafish. Vet Anaesth Analg. 2018;45:48-56 pubmed publisher..Eugenol (10 and 20 mg L-1) induced zebrafish sedation. The response after a noxious stimulus was not affected by postexposure to lower doses, and thus we cannot recommend its use as an analgesic. ..
- Baldissera M, Souza C, Santos R, Baldisserotto B. Purinergic system displays an anti-inflammatory profile in serum of silver catfish experimentally infected with Streptococcus agalactiae: An attempt to ameliorate the inflammatory response. Microb Pathog. 2018;114:193-196 pubmed publisher..In summary, the purinergic system is capable of modulating the immune and inflammatory responses during fish streptococcosis. ..
- Baldissera M, Souza C, Júnior G, de Vargas A, Boligon A, de Campos M, et al. Melaleuca alternifolia essential oil enhances the non-specific immune system and prevents oxidative damage in Rhamdia quelen experimentally infected by Aeromonas hydrophila: Effects on cholinergic and purinergic systems in liver tissue. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2017;61:1-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, TTO prophylactic treatment might be considered an important approach to prevent the hepatic damage caused by A. hydrophila. ..
- Souza C, Verdi C, Baldissera M, Doleski P, Vizzotto B, Santos R, et al. Xanthine oxidase activity affects pro-oxidative and pro-inflammatory profiles in spleen of silver catfish experimentally infected with Aeromonas caviae. Microb Pathog. 2017;113:25-28 pubmed publisher..In summary, upregulation of XO activity may be considered a pathway involved in ROS and NOx production. ..
- Souza C, Baldissera M, Moreira K, da Rocha M, DA Veiga M, Santos R, et al. Involvement of xanthine oxidase activity with oxidative and inflammatory renal damage in silver catfish experimentally infected with Streptococcus agalactiae: Interplay with reactive oxygen species and nitric oxide. Microb Pathog. 2017;111:1-5 pubmed publisher..In summary, the upregulation on XO activity may be considered a pathway involved in the renal injury during S. agalactiae infection. ..
- Baldissera M, Souza C, JÃºnior G, Verdi C, Moreira K, da Rocha M, et al. Aeromonas caviae alters the cytosolic and mitochondrial creatine kinase activities in experimentally infected silver catfish: Impairment on renal bioenergetics. Microb Pathog. 2017;110:439-443 pubmed publisher..In summary, A.Â caviae infection causes a severe energetic imbalance in infected silver catfish, which may contribute to disease pathogenesis. ..
- Baldissera M, Souza C, Doleski P, de Vargas A, Duarte M, Duarte T, et al. Melaleuca alternifolia essential oil prevents alterations to purinergic enzymes and ameliorates the innate immune response in silver catfish infected with Aeromonas hydrophila. Microb Pathog. 2017;109:61-66 pubmed publisher..hydrophila infection. In summary, prophylactic therapy with TTO can be considered an important approach to improve the immune response and consequently avoid the inflammatory process in fish infected with A.Â hydrophila. ..
- Souza C, Baldissera M, Guarda N, Bollick Y, Moresco R, Brusque I, et al. Melaleuca alternifolia essential oil nanoparticles ameliorate the hepatic antioxidant/oxidant status of silver catfish experimentally infected with Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Microb Pathog. 2017;108:61-65 pubmed publisher..Thus, this treatment may be considered an important approach for the prevention of hepatic oxidative damage caused by P. aeruginosa infection in fish. ..
- Baldissera M, Souza C, Grings M, Parmeggiani B, Leipnitz G, Moreira K, et al. Inhibition of the mitochondrial respiratory chain in gills of Rhamdia quelen experimentally infected by Pseudomonas aeruginosa: Interplay with reactive oxygen species. Microb Pathog. 2017;107:349-353 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the inhibition on mitochondrial complexes I-III and IV are linked to the ROS production, contributing to disease pathogenesis. ..
- Baldissera M, Souza C, Santos R, Stefani L, Moreira K, DA Veiga M, et al. Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain PA01 impairs enzymes of the phosphotransfer network in the gills of Rhamdia quelen. Vet Microbiol. 2017;201:121-125 pubmed publisher..aeruginosa inhibits key enzymes linked to the production and utilization of metabolic energy in silver catfish, and consequently, impairs cellular energy homeostasis, which may contribute to disease pathogenesis. ..