Affiliation: University of Veterinary Medicine
- Measurement of glucocorticoid metabolite concentrations in faeces of domestic livestockE Möstl
Institute of Biochemistry, University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna, Austria
Zentralbl Veterinarmed A 46:621-31. 1999..In frozen samples this effect was diminished after thawing samples at 40 degrees C; thawing the samples at 95 degrees C prevented an increase in immunoreactive substances...
- Measurement of cortisol metabolites in faeces of ruminantsE Möstl
Institut für Biochemie and Ludwig Boltzmann Institut für Veterinärmedizinische Endokrinologie, Vienna, Austria
Vet Res Commun 26:127-39. 2002....
- Hormones as indicators of stressE Möstl
Institut fur Biochemie, Veterinarmedizinische Universitat, Veterinarplatz 1, Austria
Domest Anim Endocrinol 23:67-74. 2002..The determination of these metabolites in fecal samples is a practical method to monitor glucocorticoid production...
- Measurement of corticosterone metabolites in birds' droppings: an analytical approachErich Möstl
Institute of Biochemistry, Department of Natural Sciences, University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna, Veterinarplatz 1, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1046:17-34. 2005..In this review, emphasis is placed on the establishment and analytical validation of methods to measure glucocorticoid metabolites for a noninvasive evaluation of adrenocortical activity in droppings of birds...
- Increased immunoreactive 11-ketotestosterone concentrations in sheep feces after acth challengeOmer Sid-Ahmed
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Institute of Medical Biochemistry, University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna, Austria
Environ Toxicol Chem 32:1332-6. 2013..From this data, the authors conclude that 11-KT-like substances, specifically C19 O3 -androgens with a 17ß-hydroxy group, were present in the feces. These substances originate from the adrenals and are most likely cortisol metabolites...
- Impact of ozonation on ecotoxicity and endocrine activity of tertiary treated wastewater effluentDominik Altmann
Aquatic Ecotoxicology, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Veterinary Medicine of Vienna, Veterinaerplatz 1, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
Water Res 46:3693-702. 2012..Based on the presented screening, ozonation effectively reduced steroid hormone levels in the wastewater treatment plant effluent without increasing the effluent's ecotoxicity...
- Effects of reproductive status and management on cortisol secretion and fertility of oestrous horse maresPetra Berghold
Centre for Artificial Insemination and Embryo Transfer, Department for Animal Breeding and Reproduction, University of Veterinary Sciences, Veterinarplatz 1, 1210 Vienna, Austria
Anim Reprod Sci 102:276-85. 2007..In the mare, gynaecological examinations seem to act as stressors and may increase cortisol secretion. However, this does not negatively influence fertility and in animals familiar with that procedure fCM concentrations are not elevated...
- Selection for fast and slow exploration affects baseline and stress-induced corticosterone excretion in Great tit nestlings, Parus majorMareike Stöwe
Department of Biomedical Sciences Biochemistry, University of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinarplatz 1, Vienna, Austria
Horm Behav 58:864-71. 2010..Slow-line nestlings did not. Our results show that selection on the basis of exploratory behaviour affected HPA axis reactivity...
- Mammalian glucocorticoid metabolites act as androgenic endocrine disruptors in the medaka (Oryzias latipes)Britta Grillitsch
Aquatic Ecotoxicology, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinaerplatz 1, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
Environ Toxicol Chem 29:1613-20. 2010..After 21 d, both 11-oxygenated compounds had masculinized sex characteristics of the anal fin in female medaka in a dose-dependent manner...
- Trans-generational effects of prenatal stress in quailFloriane Guibert
UMR CNRS 6552 Ethologie Animale et Humaine, Universite de Rennes 1, Rennes, France
Proc Biol Sci 280:20122368. 2013..These F(2) behavioural differences paralleled those evidenced by their parents, suggesting trans-generational transmission of prenatal stress effects, probably mediated by egg compositions of F1PS females...
- Synthesis of measuring steroid metabolites in goose fecesKatharina Hirschenhauser
Konrad Lorenz Forschungsstelle, A 4645 Grunau 11, Vienna, Austria
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1046:138-53. 2005..The polar nature of glucocorticoids, however, seems to make a distinction between conjugated and nonconjugated types difficult, and the available avian literature on this topic is discussed...