Affiliation: University of Innsbruck
- Treatment alternatives of slaughterhouse wastes, and their effect on the inactivation of different pathogens: a reviewIngrid H Franke-Whittle
Institute of Microbiology, Leopold Franzens University, Innsbruck, Austria
Crit Rev Microbiol 39:139-51. 2013..The intention was to investigate whether AD could be used for waste disposal (either alone, or in combination with another process) such that both energy can be obtained and potentially hazardous materials be disposed of...
- Design and application of an oligonucleotide microarray for the investigation of compost microbial communitiesIngrid H Franke-Whittle
Institute for Microbiology, University of Innsbruck, Technikerstrasse 25, A 6020, Innsbruck, Austria
J Microbiol Methods 62:37-56. 2005..The aim of this study was to develop a molecular tool that would allow screening for the presence or absence of different microorganisms within compost samples...
- Design and development of the ANAEROCHIP microarray for investigation of methanogenic communitiesIngrid H Franke-Whittle
Leopold Franzens University, Institute of Microbiology, Technikerstrasse 25 d, 6020, Innsbruck, Austria
J Microbiol Methods 79:279-88. 2009..7%), Methanosarcina (2.1%), Methanosphaera (1.6%), an uncultured archaeon (1.6%) and Methanothermobacter (1%) were also detected. These results showed the microarray to be a suitable tool for studying methanogenic communities in sludge...
- Design and testing of real-time PCR primers for the quantification of Methanoculleus, Methanosarcina, Methanothermobacter, and a group of uncultured methanogensIngrid H Franke-Whittle
Leopold Franzens Universitat, Institute for Microbiology, Technikerstrasse 25 d, Innsbruck, Austria
Can J Microbiol 55:611-6. 2009..Application of these primers will allow the detection and quantification of Methanoculleus, Methanosarcina, Methanothermobacter, and a group of yet uncultured archaea from anaerobic habitats...
- Application of COMPOCHIP microarray to investigate the bacterial communities of different compostsIngrid H Franke-Whittle
Institute of Microbiology, Leopold Franzens Universitat, Innsbruck, Austria
Microb Ecol 57:510-21. 2009..Results from denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis supported those of microarray analysis. This study showed that the COMPOCHIP array is a suitable tool to study bacterial communities in composts...
- Design, development, and use of molecular primers and probes for the detection of Gluconacetobacter species in the pink sugarcane mealybugIngrid H Franke-Whittle
Centre for Bacterial Diversity and Identification, Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Microb Ecol 50:128-39. 2005..liquefaciens by PCR from different mealybugs isolated at various times and from various sugarcane-growing areas in Queensland, Australia, these bacteria do not appear to be significant commensals in the PSMB environment...
- Comparison of different labeling methods for the production of labeled target DNA for microarray hybridizationIngrid H Franke-Whittle
Institute for Microbiology, University of Innsbruck, Technikerstrasse 25d, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
J Microbiol Methods 65:117-26. 2006..The comparison of the different DNA labeling methods revealed that labeling via the Cy3-forward primer approach is the most appropriate of the studied methods for the preparation of labeled target DNA for our purposes...
- Searching for links in the biotic characteristics and abiotic parameters of nine different biogas plantsAndreas Walter
University of Innsbruck, Institute of Microbiology, Technikerstraße 25d, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Microb Biotechnol 5:717-30. 2012..No other correlations between biotic characteristics and abiotic parameters were found. Methanogenic communities in each reactor were highly stable and resilient over the whole year...
- Adaptation of methanogenic communities to the cofermentation of cattle excreta and olive mill wastes at 37 degrees C and 55 degrees CMarta Goberna
University of Innsbruck, Institute of Microbiology, Innsbruck, Austria
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:6564-71. 2010..Further testing is needed to find out whether there is a link between increased methanogenic diversity and reactor productivity...
- Bacterial community patterns and thermal analyses of composts of various originsSusanne Klammer
Institute of Microbiology, University of Innsbruck, Technikerstr 25, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Waste Manag Res 26:173-87. 2008..A similar differentiation of composts was found with the thermogavimetric analyses. It may thus be concluded that the resulting humus quality is closely linked to the microbial communities involved...
- Identification of anammox bacteria in a full-scale deammonification plant making use of anaerobic ammonia oxidationGerd Innerebner
Department of Microbiology, Leopold Franzens University Innsbruck, Technikerstrasse 25, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Syst Appl Microbiol 30:408-12. 2007..The sequences retrieved from the red granules were 93% similar to those of Candidatus Brocadia anammoxidans, a bacterium known to catalyze the anaerobic ammonia oxidation...
- Population dynamics at digester overload conditionsMichael A Schoen
Unit of Environmental Engineering, Institute of Infrastructure, University Innsbruck, Technikerstrasse 13, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Bioresour Technol 100:5648-55. 2009..Indicators reflecting the biokinetic state (e.g. F(net)/M(net) or the VFA/alkalinity ratio) are more adequate for the assessment of the stability of reactors in transient situations...
- Microbial community related to volatile organic compound (VOC) emission in household biowasteSabine Mayrhofer
Institut fur Mikrobiologie, Universitat Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Environ Microbiol 8:1960-74. 2006....
- The dynamic bacterial communities of a melting High Arctic glacier snowpackKatherina Hell
Institute of Ecology, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
ISME J 7:1814-26. 2013..Furthermore the potential of supraglacial snowpack ecosystems to respond to transient yet spatially extensive melting episodes such as that observed across most of Greenland's ice sheet in 2012 merits further investigation. ..
- Wood ash amendment to biogas reactors as an alternative to landfilling? A preliminary study on changes in process chemistry and biologySabine M Podmirseg
University of Innsbruck, Institute of Microbiology, Innsbruck, Austria
Waste Manag Res 31:829-42. 2013....
- Molecular analysis of bacterial community succession during prolonged compost curingMichael Danon
Faculty of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Quality Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 65:133-44. 2008..In contrast, pathogens were not detected. In the cured compost, bacterial population shifts were still observed after the compost organic matter and other biochemical properties had seemingly stabilized...
- 16S rDNA analysis reveals low microbial diversity in community level physiological profile assaysMargarita Ros
Centro de Edafologia y Biologia Aplicada del Segura, 30100 Murcia, Spain
J Microbiol Methods 72:221-6. 2008..Also for this reason, CLPPs based on incubations of soil suspensions should just be used as a screening method and always be accompanied by other techniques for community analysis...