Affiliation: University of Innsbruck
- Effects of playing video games on perceptions of one's humanityTobias Greitemeyer
University of Innsbruck, Department of Psychology, Innrain 52, Innsbruck 6020, Austria
J Soc Psychol 153:499-514. 2013..Taken together, it appears that being helpful while playing video games leads to the perception of being more human, whereas being harmful while playing video games leads players to perceive themselves negatively...
- Name-valence and physical attractiveness in Facebook: their compensatory effects on friendship acceptanceTobias Greitemeyer
University of Innsbruck, Department of Psychology, Maximilianstr 2, Innsbruck 6020, Austria
J Soc Psychol 153:257-60. 2013....
- Playing prosocial video games increases empathy and decreases schadenfreudeTobias Greitemeyer
Department of Psychology, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Emotion 10:796-802. 2010..e., schadenfreude). These results lend further credence to the predictive validity of the General Learning Model (Buckley & Anderson, 2006) for the effects of media exposure on social tendencies...
- Denying humanness to others: a newly discovered mechanism by which violent video games increase aggressive behaviorTobias Greitemeyer
Department of Psychology, University of Innsbruck, Maximilianstr 2, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Psychol Sci 22:659-65. 2011..Thus, it appears that video-game-induced aggressive behavior is triggered when victimizers perceive the victim to be less human...
- Playing prosocial video games increases the accessibility of prosocial thoughtsTobias Greitemeyer
University of Innsbruck, Psychology Department, Maximilianstr 2, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
J Soc Psychol 151:121-8. 2011..Thus, depending on the content of the video game, playing video games can harm but may also benefit social relations...
- The effects of risk-glorifying media exposure on risk-positive cognitions, emotions, and behaviors: a meta-analytic reviewPeter Fischer
Department of Psychology, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Psychol Bull 137:367-90. 2011..The theoretical, practical, and societal implications of the present research synthesis are discussed...